Posted to rec.woodworking
Sasha

Default Glass retaining clips

I am building kitchen upper glass cabinet doors. I am looking for clips
to retain glass panel. The only clips I found are ones from Rockler and
they are plastic ones. Are there any other clips and which type and
manufacturer is the best? Also what glass thickness is recommended for
kitchen doors?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Samuel

Lee Valley has a couple of kinds. But I'm thinking of going with silicone
glue, add strength to the door, or so I was told. The glass I'm looking at
is 1/16" bubble. Glass place said 1/16 is what is mostly used. Cut my
rabbet 1/8 x5/16".

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Sasha" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building kitchen upper glass cabinet doors. I am looking for clips
to retain glass panel. The only clips I found are ones from Rockler and
they are plastic ones. Are there any other clips and which type and
manufacturer is the best? Also what glass thickness is recommended for
kitchen doors?

Check with the place that you are going to buy the glass from. They should
have what ever you want providing you buy from an actual glass store vs.
Home Depot or the like.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom

Sasha, checkout www.sommerfeldtools.com, they have a flexible plastic
strip exactly for this application. They also have a bit set for making
mullions. EXCELLENT!!! setup. If you go with mullion (divided panels)
be careful with glue squeezout. They sell a drip glue with aeresol
spray to activate and this leaves ZERO mess. They also have DVD.

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/products.asp?ID=15 (pic shows "panel
glass retainer" in action).

I am NOT related at all, I just appreciate the time they have saved me.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Northey

You may want to install tempered glass in them. Just think of you arm -
other body parts or little kids under the doors if the glass broke and a
sharp jagged edge came crashing down. Tempered glass may cost a bit more but
how would you feel if someone was sliced open all for the sake of a few
bucks. It may also be a code in your area, worth checking out.
As for thickness 1/8" should be enough .
Jim
"Sasha" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building kitchen upper glass cabinet doors. I am looking for clips
to retain glass panel. The only clips I found are ones from Rockler and
they are plastic ones. Are there any other clips and which type and
manufacturer is the best? Also what glass thickness is recommended for
kitchen doors?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC

"Sasha" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building kitchen upper glass cabinet doors. I am looking for clips
to retain glass panel. The only clips I found are ones from Rockler and
they are plastic ones. Are there any other clips and which type and
manufacturer is the best? Also what glass thickness is recommended for
kitchen doors?

You might want to look at using glass retaining moldings. Sold in rolls of
either clear or brown. The molding sets inside the rabbet and the glass is
pressed in place in the molding. Molding holds glass in place and keeps it
from rattling in the frames.
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/Pr...D/PTF946%20CLR

product SKU # is PTF946 CLR if the above link does not take you to the
molding.

CC

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
Seeking Double Hung Window Grille Clips Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 1 September 4th 04 04:44 PM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM