Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Default Rant: F**k the Salvation Army

Ok.....found a flat panel monitor at a Salvation Army thrift store
today. At 35$ it seemed it would make a nice little display for a
second machine. Now I know the policy of "as is" from this place and
you should power up and test before hauling anything of this nature out
of the place. Trouble is, this monitor needed an external 12vdc pwr
supply that was not included. So there was no way to test on site. So I
bring it back and hook it up to a bench supply and pwr up only to find
it had been broken due to pressure to the face of the unit. So I take
it back and tell them the story and go so far as to power it up in
front of them tp prove that it was obviously damaged and shouldn't have
been sold to begin with. I get the runaround about store policy
regarding returns on "as is" electronic items. No refund. They issued
me "store credit"......which is more or less useless to me since I
rarely buy anything from them as of late due to increased prices on
what I would call junk. Add to that the rarely have anything close to
good anymore. So in a nutshell I gave them 35$ and have nothing to show
for it. Oh, I even called the head office and got the same bull****
from clueless drones.

I regularly get older audio gear from the local Goodwill shop and have
never had a problem returning anything, although I have never had to
return anything electronic. I just assume I may have to do some work on
it. There's no repairing flat panels.

Needless to say I will no longer frequent the Scamnation Army. The
Goodwills have way better junk at a fraction of the price.

Anyone had a similar experience? Just curious....I'm a little
steamed.....

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Default F**k the Salvation Army

"boardjunkie" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yep, gotten screwed by them a few times. Always on electronics/DVDs or (in
the day) VHS tapes. I don't think they even test stuff prior to shelving it.
I have had better luck with Goodwill, but I never expect much from any
charity shop. Think of what you are buying- crap people got rid of prior to
moving, leftovers from their garage sale, etc. Not the best quality stuff to
begin with.

Ryan

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Ryan Elkins wrote:

Think of what you are buying- crap people got rid of prior to
moving, leftovers from their garage sale, etc. Not the best quality stuff to
begin with.

Ryan

Well I mainly look for the nicer audio gear, tube based electronics,
and old analog synthesizer keyboards. Good thing is, the Goodwills seem
fairly clueless as to any value the stuff may have. Example: I bought a
mint condition Roland Juno-106 keyboard sans pwr cable for $19.99.
Street value is at least 350$ in nice cond./working order. They
regularly sell solid state organs you can't *give* away for 60-100$.
Still waiting to find some old Moog or Sequential stuff....:-)

I've made decent money on Ebay scooping up the old Marantz stuff for a
few bucks, cleaning it up and taking care of any issues. At least it
ends up with someone who actually wants it and won't shove it into the
garage to rot.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"boardjunkie" wrote in message
ups.com...

Needless to say I will no longer frequent the Scamnation Army. The
Goodwills have way better junk at a fraction of the price.

Sorry to seem cold, but you bought a piece of electronic gear for A TINY
FRACTION of what YOU KNEW to be the purchase price on an item that was
CLEARLY LABELLED "AS-IS". If you sell something AS-IS, you don't have to
test it. You don't have to guarantee it. A designation of "AS-IS" puts the
onus on the buyer to make sure he's happy with something BEFORE he buys it.
I buy stuff regularly on eBay and "as-is" is the same as "for parts only".
Next time you'll drag a car battery in and test the damn thing.

You should be ****ed off at your own stupidity for buying something for next
to nothing and then assuming it's going to work perfectly. Duh, why would
someone sell a 300-dollar monitor for 35 bucks?

Oh, and by the way, the Salvation Army is a CHARITY. You just donated $35..
good for you!

Dave

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"boardjunkie" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ok.....found a flat panel monitor at a Salvation Army thrift store
today. At 35$ it seemed it would make a nice little display for a
second machine.

Remember, they got it for FREE! How much could it be worth really?

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"boardjunkie" ) writes:
[...]

When buying used, people should never pay more than they are willing to
lose. Obviously this works against the seller, but then if they set
things out for the buyer to actually plug it in, they could make more money
off it.

But in this case, you could look at it as giving money to charity, and then
getting a prize in return. These groups are trying to raise money, not
for profit sake but to do other things that are likely good for the
community. For the buyer, it is indeed better than a straight donation,
since you see some sort of return on the item, but since the group
is given the old items to sell, their overhead is low. (Of course, that
overhead might go up if they had to test everything, and I should point
out that one has to give thought to someone who knowingly gives a broken
something to the Salvation Army.)

So when buying from some group doing a fundraiser, think of it as
giving that group money, and anything you get in return is a bonus.

For years I've gone to one "Meals on Wheels" yard sale. One year
they had an auction, and I bid on an old Mac laptop, and kept bidding
even though it had gone more than I thought it was worth. It was fun,
and I realized I'd much rather have that fun while giving the money
than just giving the money. Turned out to be a more recent Powerbook
than I thought, and was well worth the $40. But I'm not sure I'd have
paid $40 for an old laptop if I couldn't actually try it out at
some garage sale.

And I should point out that you seem to be profiteering off the
items you buy there, so losing some money should be considered
part of the business expence. You might turn around and offer
to test the stuff for them, or to evaluate what they have, which
would help them to raise more money. After all, that seems to
be what you are doing, albeit keeping the profit for yourself.

Michael

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Dave wrote:

Sorry to seem cold, but you bought a piece of electronic gear for A TINY
FRACTION of what YOU KNEW to be the purchase price on an item that was
CLEARLY LABELLED "AS-IS". If you sell something AS-IS, you don't have to
test it. You don't have to guarantee it. A designation of "AS-IS" puts the
onus on the buyer to make sure he's happy with something BEFORE he buys it.
I buy stuff regularly on eBay and "as-is" is the same as "for parts only".
Next time you'll drag a car battery in and test the damn thing.

You should be ****ed off at your own stupidity for buying something for next
to nothing and then assuming it's going to work perfectly. Duh, why would
someone sell a 300-dollar monitor for 35 bucks?

Oh, and by the way, the Salvation Army is a CHARITY. You just donated $35..
good for you!

Dave

My point was that the unit was completely useless and shouldn't have
been there to begin with. What....now I should haul in test equipment,
soldering station and wire, and power supplies to test stuff?
Sure...I'll just set up a test bench on some furniture and soak in the
puzzled looks. I don't mind repairing the stuff I get from thrift
shops, so long as its possible.

If I wanted to just make a donation, I would have. The monitor was
damaged, unrepairable, and just plain should have been trashed. Just
for kicks I'm gonna go there tomorrow to see if its back on the shelf
for sale.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"boardjunkie" wrote ...
My point was that the unit was completely useless and shouldn't have
been there to begin with. What....now I should haul in test equipment,
soldering station and wire, and power supplies to test stuff?

Or do you want THEM to do that? Are you prepared to pay
the price they will want for "tested-good" vs. "as-is"?

I think your expectations were competely unreasonable.
Do you really think SA, or GW or any of those charities
can afford to hire people who know a power prick from
a toaster?

Sure...I'll just set up a test bench on some furniture and soak in the
puzzled looks. I don't mind repairing the stuff I get from thrift
shops, so long as its possible.

If it were me, I would have gone home and grabbed a PS
to use to test it with.

If I wanted to just make a donation, I would have. The monitor was
damaged, unrepairable, and just plain should have been trashed. Just
for kicks I'm gonna go there tomorrow to see if its back on the shelf
for sale.

But if YOU didn't know whether it was damaged until you
plugged it into a 12V PS, how on earth do you expect THEM
to know that? This is the very definition of a "pig in a poke".

I love scrounging for hidden treasures at GW, et.al., but
when you buy stuff like that, untested, you gotta allow for
a certain percentage of dissapointments. If you aren't willing
to take the gamble, don't buy it.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Ryan Elkins" wrote in message ...

Yep, gotten screwed by them a few times. Always on electronics/DVDs or (in the day) VHS tapes. I don't think they even test stuff
prior to shelving it. I have had better luck with Goodwill, but I never expect much from any charity shop. Think of what you are
buying- crap people got rid of prior to moving, leftovers from their garage sale, etc. Not the best quality stuff to begin with.

I bought what I thought was a VHS Rush video concert which actually turned
out to be 'Gentlemen Prefer Ginger', a porno starring Ginger Lynn...I told the
guy at the front counter next time I was in, he laughed & said
"oh we get that all the time!"

:0|

Needless to say I was pretty happy, since it was a pretty cool flick..

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Jim is offline

I think your title is harsh and uncalled for...

boardjunkie wrote:

Dave wrote:

[...]

You need to understand the concept of donating to the Salvation Army.
People donate stuff for various reasons, and you can never be sure which
one applies to that item. They may donated it because they want to help
the charity, because they'll pad the price for a tax deduction, or
because it's junk that they don't want and it saves them the expense of
taking it to the dump (or hazardous waste site, in the case of computer
electronics in many localities)!

What....now I should haul in test equipment,
soldering station and wire, and power supplies to test stuff?

Come on now! That's what it took for you to find out it didn't work???

You said that you knew that the sale was "as-is." When you buy AS IS,
you factor the risk into the price. ...simple as that.

Sure...I'll just set up a test bench

You needed a test bench to find out it was busted??? Why not just
return with your own power supply and try it there, if you wanted a
guaranteed "steal of a deal"? Heck, most of these stores have a bin
full of wall warts, you might've found one there. You took your chances
and this gamble didn't pay off. At least you have a store credit!

on some furniture and soak in the
puzzled looks. I don't mind repairing the stuff I get from thrift
shops, so long as its possible.

If I wanted to just make a donation, I would have. The monitor was
damaged, unrepairable, and just plain should have been trashed. Just
for kicks I'm gonna go there tomorrow to see if its back on the shelf
for sale.

Now that's not a bad idea. If it is, you should talk with a manager.
But I guess I just don't have much sympathy with this situation when you
knew it was as-is and not refundable.
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Michael Black wrote:

"boardjunkie" ) writes:

[...]

The IRS doesn't look at it that way. The only donation is the part of
the purchase price that exceeds the fair market value.

[...]

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Dave" wrote in message news:baXRg.21060$KA6.15489@clgrps12...

Sorry to seem cold, but you bought a piece of electronic gear for A TINY
FRACTION of what YOU KNEW to be the purchase price on an item that was
CLEARLY LABELLED "AS-IS".

Usually that means it's broken or there's something wrong with it..

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"boardjunkie" wrote in message

My point was that the unit was completely useless and shouldn't have
been there to begin with. What....now I should haul in test equipment,
soldering station and wire, and power supplies to test stuff?
Sure...I'll just set up a test bench on some furniture and soak in the
puzzled looks. I don't mind repairing the stuff I get from thrift
shops, so long as its possible.

If I wanted to just make a donation, I would have. The monitor was
damaged, unrepairable, and just plain should have been trashed. Just
for kicks I'm gonna go there tomorrow to see if its back on the shelf
for sale.

I think you have a funny way of looking at things. You gotta be kinda naive
to think every piece of electronic junk at the SA is in good working order.
The Salvation Army doesn't have the resources to check everything. If it
looks good they put it out there. Get over it!

BH

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Navin R. Johnson" wrote in message

I bought what I thought was a VHS Rush video concert which actually turned
out to be 'Gentlemen Prefer Ginger', a porno starring Ginger Lynn...I told
the
guy at the front counter next time I was in, he laughed & said
"oh we get that all the time!"

:0|

Needless to say I was pretty happy, since it was a pretty cool flick..

Your a lucky man Navin. lol

BH

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
I think your title is harsh and uncalled for...

Sure is. Here is a greedy bargain hunter who is clueless about charitable
organizations. He needs to get a liberal education and then a life.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote ...
"Jim" wrote ...
I think your title is harsh and uncalled for...

Sure is. Here is a greedy bargain hunter who is clueless about charitable
organizations. He needs to get a liberal education and then a life.

Or perhaps thats his problem. His education was "liberal"
to the point of expecting he was entitled to something from
the SA.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

On 9/25/06 1:07 PM, in article
, "boardjunkie"
wrote:

[...]

Bottom line: You should have tested it before taking it, even if you had to
take a transformer in to do that. Your problem is your own doing. Grow up
and pretend you're a man.

Salvation Army good

You not so good

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Richard Crowley wrote:

I think your expectations were competely unreasonable.
Do you really think SA, or GW or any of those charities
can afford to hire people who know a power prick from
a toaster?

You'd be surprised at what those pricks can afford. They aren't nearly
as poor as they make themselves out to be.

--
"When it comes to huge openings, a lot of people think of me."
-Hedwig, 2001
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Don Bowey wrote:

Salvation Army good

*bull*****
Salvation Army - arseholes

--
"When it comes to huge openings, a lot of people think of me."
-Hedwig, 2001

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Jim wrote:
I think your title is harsh and uncalled for...

You needed a test bench to find out it was busted??? Why not just
return with your own power supply and try it there,

Non standard pwr connector I had to hack off. Then I would have needed
a meter to determine pwr polarity since it wasn't marked. Then
soldering stuff, wire, pwr supply, and connectors to get it powered up.
Get my point? I doubt they would want anyone doing anything like
that.....

Heck, most of these stores have a bin
full of wall warts,

Not 12vdc 3a wall warts. This probably had a little switcher supply
that ran it.

Ok, so now I'm a "greedy bargain hunter" just looking to profit? I
see....so my bench time isn't worth anything when I refurbish the
stuff? I find things all grubby and neglected and spend hours
disassembling, cleaning, and repairing them. Hell, I've even gone as
far as to refinish the wooden enclosures. So that's bad. Putting items
in the hands of those who will appreciate and enjoy them is a bad
thing? Keeping lead out of landfills is a bad thing? Well I should stop
doing that then 'cause I'm cheating the charities and fleecing
consumers.

Yawn.....arguing about this is making me sleepy......

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

What does this have to do with guitars?

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Frank Piotrowski wrote:
What does this have to do with guitars?

Well....nothing. Apparently I posted to 2 groups. Carry on.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"VampiressX" wrote in message

You'd be surprised at what those pricks can afford. They aren't nearly as
poor as they make themselves out to be.

How many drunks did you offer a place to stay last night?

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"boardjunkie" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ok, so now I'm a "greedy bargain hunter" just looking to profit? I
see....so my bench time isn't worth anything when I refurbish the
stuff? I find things all grubby and neglected and spend hours
disassembling, cleaning, and repairing them. Hell, I've even gone as
far as to refinish the wooden enclosures. So that's bad. Putting items
in the hands of those who will appreciate and enjoy them is a bad
thing? Keeping lead out of landfills is a bad thing? Well I should stop
doing that then 'cause I'm cheating the charities and fleecing
consumers.

Next time make them an offer.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"boardjunkie" wrote in
oups.com:

Ryan Elkins wrote:

[...]

****, if my Salvation Army had stuff like that... I'd never leave!!!! I
don't think mine has ANY music stuff.
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Jim is offline

boardjunkie wrote:
Jim wrote:

I think your title is harsh and uncalled for...

You needed a test bench to find out it was busted??? Why not just
return with your own power supply and try it there,

Non standard pwr connector I had to hack off. Then I would have needed
a meter to determine pwr polarity since it wasn't marked. Then
soldering stuff, wire, pwr supply, and connectors to get it powered up.
Get my point? I doubt they would want anyone doing anything like
that.....

Heck, most of these stores have a bin
full of wall warts,

Not 12vdc 3a wall warts. This probably had a little switcher supply
that ran it.

Ok, so now I'm a "greedy bargain hunter" just looking to profit?

I NEVER SAID THAT. Perhaps you're replying to somebody else's comment?
I'm a bargain hunter myself! There is NOTHING wrong with that.

see....so my bench time isn't worth anything when I refurbish the
stuff? I find things all grubby and neglected and spend hours
disassembling, cleaning, and repairing them. Hell, I've even gone as
far as to refinish the wooden enclosures. So that's bad. Putting items
in the hands of those who will appreciate and enjoy them is a bad
thing? Keeping lead out of landfills is a bad thing? Well I should stop
doing that then 'cause I'm cheating the charities and fleecing
consumers.

Yawn.....arguing about this is making me sleepy......

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Navin R. Johnson" wrote in
ink.net:

"Ryan Elkins" wrote in message

Yep, gotten screwed by them a few times. Always on electronics/DVDs
or (in the day) VHS tapes. I don't think they even test stuff prior
to shelving it. I have had better luck with Goodwill, but I never
expect much from any charity shop. Think of what you are buying- crap
people got rid of prior to moving, leftovers from their garage sale,
etc. Not the best quality stuff to begin with.

I bought what I thought was a VHS Rush video concert which actually
turned out to be 'Gentlemen Prefer Ginger', a porno starring Ginger
Lynn...I told the guy at the front counter next time I was in, he
laughed & said "oh we get that all the time!"

:0|

Needless to say I was pretty happy, since it was a pretty cool flick..

Sounds like you got a better deal... At least I'd rather watch that more
than once
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I cant believe you would get on here and post that . Expecting a junk
store to refund you money especially a Salvation Army who helps feed
hungry children or people who have nothing and you go ripping through
there bitching about 35 dollars .

Why dont you just go to the poor peoples shelter and rip food out of
childrens hands .

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Brian Hill wrote:

"Navin R. Johnson" wrote in message

I bought what I thought was a VHS Rush video concert which actually turned
out to be 'Gentlemen Prefer Ginger', a porno starring Ginger Lynn...I told
the
guy at the front counter next time I was in, he laughed & said
"oh we get that all the time!"

:0|

Needless to say I was pretty happy, since it was a pretty cool flick..

Your a lucky man Navin. lol

BH

At least it wasn't on a Disney movie handed to a kid.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Jim wrote:
I NEVER SAID THAT. Perhaps you're replying to somebody else's comment?
I'm a bargain hunter myself! There is NOTHING wrong with that.

That wasn't pointed at you Jim. Just a collective reply.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

How does that old saying go? "A fool and his money are soon parted"?

AS-IS in most cases should raise a red flag. Not being able to test the
thing, you should have asked yourself How bad do I want/need it? Can I
afford to take the loss? I guarantee you one thing - "I" can sell items
tested, but still sell them AS IS. WHY? Because I've had some assholes burn
the stuff up - not knowing how to use it, then try to get their money back.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

boardjunkie wrote:
[...]

You should sleep better tonight, knowing that somewhere
some homeless person will have a place to sleep... or some
addicted young person will have a warm meal, or..... there's
a never ending list of good works that the Sally Ann does for the
disadvantaged in our communities.

Take care.

Ken
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Jim" wrote in message

At least it wasn't on a Disney movie handed to a kid.

Very true!

BH

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"The Chris" wrote in message ...

"Navin R. Johnson" wrote in
ink.net:

[...]

LOL!

yeah, not a bad deal for $1.20 {cash..} That girl's got talent, man.
heheh

tape was in good quality too; no dropouts, fuzzy stuff {well....}
or artifacts.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message ...

I think your expectations were competely unreasonable.
Do you really think SA, or GW or any of those charities
can afford to hire people who know a power prick from
a toaster?

^^^^^^
Interesting...power prick...never seen onna those at GW or SA..

....would that be battery or AC ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 02:14:54 +0000, Ken Weitzel wrote:
You should sleep better tonight, knowing that somewhere
some homeless person will have a place to sleep... or some
addicted young person will have a warm meal, or..... there's
a never ending list of good works that the Sally Ann does for the
disadvantaged in our communities.

I hear ya there brother!! If folks want to pick a bone with a store, how
bout raising some hell with Target, for banning Salvation Army Bell Ringers
from their property, during the holiday season?

Take care.

You do the same.

Ken

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"VampiressX" wrote in message
Don Bowey wrote:

Salvation Army good

*bull*****
Salvation Army - arseholes

Why ? You've also said they didn't help you . . I've only known them to be
the most likely people I'd ever donate to. Did you have a bad personal
experience with them.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

boardjunkie wrote:
[...]

I lived a quarter mile from a second hand store for ten years, what
makes the difference is the manager at the time. I have had your
experience and another experience where I got to help myself to
everything every night for free at the same store with a different
manager. I have been welcomed and banded from the same store, manager
again. But all of them over price some truly worthless junk. A
toaster for ten bucks? I think I will get a new one. I do make a token
purchase at times. The item is to good and it will disappear.
Something like a state of the art bare bones hard drive that no has
realized it yet, I take it up to counter with a bunch of old ones and
ask how much are these things, and they say 2 bucks a piece, so I buy
2 or 3 so the 500gig does not get focused on. A thief? you tell me.