Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair
Ryan Elkins Ryan Elkins is offline

Default F**k the Salvation Army

"boardjunkie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok.....found a flat panel monitor at a Salvation Army thrift store
today. At 35$ it seemed it would make a nice little display for a
second machine. Now I know the policy of "as is" from this place and
you should power up and test before hauling anything of this nature out
of the place. Trouble is, this monitor needed an external 12vdc pwr
supply that was not included. So there was no way to test on site. So I
bring it back and hook it up to a bench supply and pwr up only to find
it had been broken due to pressure to the face of the unit. So I take
it back and tell them the story and go so far as to power it up in
front of them tp prove that it was obviously damaged and shouldn't have
been sold to begin with. I get the runaround about store policy
regarding returns on "as is" electronic items. No refund. They issued
me "store credit"......which is more or less useless to me since I
rarely buy anything from them as of late due to increased prices on
what I would call junk. Add to that the rarely have anything close to
good anymore. So in a nutshell I gave them 35$ and have nothing to show
for it. Oh, I even called the head office and got the same bull****
from clueless drones.

I regularly get older audio gear from the local Goodwill shop and have
never had a problem returning anything, although I have never had to
return anything electronic. I just assume I may have to do some work on
it. There's no repairing flat panels.

Needless to say I will no longer frequent the Scamnation Army. The
Goodwills have way better junk at a fraction of the price.

Anyone had a similar experience? Just curious....I'm a little
steamed.....

Yep, gotten screwed by them a few times. Always on electronics/DVDs or (in
the day) VHS tapes. I don't think they even test stuff prior to shelving it.
I have had better luck with Goodwill, but I never expect much from any
charity shop. Think of what you are buying- crap people got rid of prior to
moving, leftovers from their garage sale, etc. Not the best quality stuff to
begin with.

Ryan