Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Default Rant: F**k the Salvation Army

"davidlaska" wrote in message
oups.com...

boardjunkie wrote:
Ok.....found a flat panel monitor at a Salvation Army thrift store
today. At 35$ it seemed it would make a nice little display for a
second machine. Now I know the policy of "as is" from this place and
you should power up and test before hauling anything of this nature out
of the place. Trouble is, this monitor needed an external 12vdc pwr
supply that was not included. So there was no way to test on site. So I
bring it back and hook it up to a bench supply and pwr up only to find
it had been broken due to pressure to the face of the unit. So I take
it back and tell them the story and go so far as to power it up in
front of them tp prove that it was obviously damaged and shouldn't have
been sold to begin with. I get the runaround about store policy
regarding returns on "as is" electronic items. No refund. They issued
me "store credit"......which is more or less useless to me since I
rarely buy anything from them as of late due to increased prices on
what I would call junk. Add to that the rarely have anything close to
good anymore. So in a nutshell I gave them 35$ and have nothing to show
for it. Oh, I even called the head office and got the same bull****
from clueless drones.

I regularly get older audio gear from the local Goodwill shop and have
never had a problem returning anything, although I have never had to
return anything electronic. I just assume I may have to do some work on
it. There's no repairing flat panels.

Needless to say I will no longer frequent the Scamnation Army. The
Goodwills have way better junk at a fraction of the price.

Anyone had a similar experience? Just curious....I'm a little
steamed.....

I lived a quarter mile from a second hand store for ten years, what
makes the difference is the manager at the time. I have had your
experience and another experience where I got to help myself to
everything every night for free at the same store with a different
manager. I have been welcomed and banded from the same store, manager
again. But all of them over price some truly worthless junk. A
toaster for ten bucks? I think I will get a new one. I do make a token
purchase at times. The item is to good and it will disappear.
Something like a state of the art bare bones hard drive that no has
realized it yet, I take it up to counter with a bunch of old ones and
ask how much are these things, and they say 2 bucks a piece, so I buy
2 or 3 so the 500gig does not get focused on. A thief? you tell me.

Nup, just a savvy bargain hunter. I went to the local tip. They have a shop
there. I bought a three seater leather lounge, a three burner BBQ, four
kitchen chairs, a high quality chrome plated blender, a yamaha organ and a
four drawer filing cabinet. $40 for the lot. Just cuts out the middle man.
Nothing wrong with any of it, none of it had been near the tip face, I
cleaned the lounge with methylated spirits and dyed it black then
conditioned the leather, shampooed the chairs and gave everything a good
clean. I could probably make $500 on it all on ebay.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Default F**k the Salvation Army

You must be a cold, heartless Republican.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

I never got the Salvation Army...

They are notoriously homophobic and also use a god with their do gooding.

Do good because you want to, not because of a god and whilst you're at love
everyone.

As for other comments, people with alcohol problems need counselling and
welfare support, not god, or a roof for the night.

PS: A C shape on the third fret is my favourite chord... I could strum it
all day!

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Grinner wrote:

Nup, just a savvy bargain hunter. I went to the local tip. They have a shop
there. I bought a three seater leather lounge, a three burner BBQ, four
kitchen chairs, a high quality chrome plated blender, a yamaha organ and a
four drawer filing cabinet. $40 for the lot. Just cuts out the middle man.
Nothing wrong with any of it, none of it had been near the tip face, I
cleaned the lounge with methylated spirits and dyed it black then
conditioned the leather, shampooed the chairs and gave everything a good
clean. I could probably make $500 on it all on ebay.

You do a couple of good things there, first you get stuff out a place
that will not see the right buyer. It would end up in a landfill if it
stayed to long. Then you make it presentable and offer it on Ebay so
the right person can buy it. They save money and further keep the
landfills from filling up. Finally you make money which in turn makes
one more person happy (two if the buyer is happy which I am sure he
usually is).

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Grinner wrote:

[...]

You think like I do, gotta save the planet an' all.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Pete" wrote in message
I never got the Salvation Army...

They are notoriously homophobic and also use a god with their do gooding.

Notoriously homophobic? PPP. I've never read any comments of the salvation
army deriding gays.

Do good because you want to, not because of a god and whilst you're at
love
everyone.

As for other comments, people with alcohol problems need counselling and
welfare support, not god, or a roof for the night.

Yep those brain damaged winos sure don't need shelter or food or anyone to
look after them, as they **** themselves try and get back on track or
otherwise die in the gutters, all they need is counselling and someone to
help them get their CV in order.

I don't see the gay community doing anything to look after them, just them
Jesus freaks.

PS: A C shape on the third fret is my favourite chord... I could strum it
all day!

How's your silly mate, his vitamin B experiment and his self inflcited
leaking anus, btw?

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Navin R. Johnson" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

I think your expectations were competely unreasonable.
Do you really think SA, or GW or any of those charities
can afford to hire people who know a power prick from
a toaster?

^^^^^^
Interesting...power prick...never seen onna those at GW or SA..

...would that be battery or AC ?

what is GW?

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:12:34 +1000, Grinner wrote:

"Navin R. Johnson" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

I think your expectations were competely unreasonable.
Do you really think SA, or GW or any of those charities
can afford to hire people who know a power prick from
a toaster?

^^^^^^
Interesting...power prick...never seen onna those at GW or SA..

...would that be battery or AC ?

what is GW?

Hmm.... GW = Goodwill Industries perhaps?

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

You must be a cold, heartless Republican.
OF course you mean POLITICIAN......forget the affiliation

"FirstAlternate" wrote in message
You must be a cold, heartless Republican.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"VampiressX" wrote in message
Richard Crowley wrote:

I think your expectations were competely unreasonable.
Do you really think SA, or GW or any of those charities
can afford to hire people who know a power prick from
a toaster?

You'd be surprised at what those pricks can afford. They aren't nearly as
poor as they make themselves out to be.

The point still remains - the OP bought this AS IS which means as it says
and is now upset he got ripped.
AS IS = RED FLAGS.......... WARNING WARNING WARNING! I feel for his loss,
but he didn't have a gun pointed at his head to make the choice. You win
some, and you lose some! AS IS is no different than placing your money in a
poker machine. A 50-50 chance.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"FirstAlternate" wrote ...
You must be a cold, heartless Republican.

LOL! :-))
And by that method, what does that make YOU?

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Spamfree" wrote in message

The point still remains - the OP bought this AS IS which means as it says
and is now upset he got ripped.
AS IS = RED FLAGS.......... WARNING WARNING WARNING! I feel for his loss,
but he didn't have a gun pointed at his head to make the choice. You win
some, and you lose some! AS IS is no different than placing your money in
a poker machine. A 50-50 chance.

Like eBay : if it says "Looks good but I haven't tested it so sold as is"
means "I did test it and it doesn't work".

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I've found brand new kitchen doodads for 10% of retail. Can't go wrong
there. But most electronics I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole unless I am
sure I can fix it.

I got a complete stereo system for free from Freecycle last week. I wouldn't
have bothered but it's a nice Kenwood system with a unique vertical robotic
record player. It'll be a neat decorator item. Needs repair but that
shouldn't be hard.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Pete" wrote in message
I never got the Salvation Army...

They are notoriously homophobic and also use a god with their do gooding.

Do good because you want to, not because of a god and whilst you're at
love
everyone.

I don't agree with their religious views (I remember them handing out
balloons to children which said "THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH" !!!) but they do
go down into places few others will and deal with the wretched of society.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

I don't agree with their religious views (I remember them handing out
balloons to children which said "THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH" !!!)

Oh!!! That's terrible!!! lol!

BH

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

I don't agree with their religious views (I remember them handing out
balloons to children which said "THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH" !!!)

Oh!!! That's terrible!!! lol!

Yes. The local papers gave them a lot of stick over that one.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"boardjunkie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave wrote:

Sorry to seem cold, but you bought a piece of electronic gear for A TINY
FRACTION of what YOU KNEW to be the purchase price on an item that was
CLEARLY LABELLED "AS-IS". If you sell something AS-IS, you don't have to
test it. You don't have to guarantee it. A designation of "AS-IS" puts
the
onus on the buyer to make sure he's happy with something BEFORE he buys
it.
I buy stuff regularly on eBay and "as-is" is the same as "for parts
only".
Next time you'll drag a car battery in and test the damn thing.

You should be ****ed off at your own stupidity for buying something for
next
to nothing and then assuming it's going to work perfectly. Duh, why
would
someone sell a 300-dollar monitor for 35 bucks?

Oh, and by the way, the Salvation Army is a CHARITY. You just donated
$35..
good for you!

Dave

My point was that the unit was completely useless and shouldn't have
been there to begin with. What....now I should haul in test equipment,
soldering station and wire, and power supplies to test stuff?
Sure...I'll just set up a test bench on some furniture and soak in the
puzzled looks. I don't mind repairing the stuff I get from thrift
shops, so long as its possible.

If I wanted to just make a donation, I would have. The monitor was
damaged, unrepairable, and just plain should have been trashed. Just
for kicks I'm gonna go there tomorrow to see if its back on the shelf
for sale.

Yeah, but donating is not part of what you do at all. You're all about
getting something for nothing, or for very little. You find good stuff
that's grossly underpriced due to the store's ignorance and aren't running
back to give them the money they should have charged. So quit whining, you
sorry little bitch, it's just the kharma wheel giving you a small taste of
what you deserve and shall receive some day.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"VampiressX" wrote in message
Don Bowey wrote:

Salvation Army good

*bull*****
Salvation Army - arseholes

They must have tried to get her sobered up once upon a time. Stupid drunk
whore.

--
"When it comes to huge openings, a lot of people think of me." -Hedwig,
2001

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

boardjunkie wrote:
Dave wrote:

[...]

No you should have asked before buying if they'd take it back if it
didn't work.. If not you could have passed on buying it or talked them
down on the price to make the chance it didn't work not hurt you so much.

If I wanted to just make a donation, I would have. The monitor was
damaged, unrepairable, and just plain should have been trashed. Just
for kicks I'm gonna go there tomorrow to see if its back on the shelf
for sale.

It didn't look trashed to you when you bought it right? How are they
supposed to know it was trashed if they couldn't power it up? If it had
worked you would have got a great deal right? Would you have went back
and gave them more money for it cause it worked so well?

If you're digging around there I'm sure you have got a few good deals on
stuff and made money off them. This time you took a chance and lost.
That store credit is a good enough reason to go in there every couple of
weeks and see what you can find to make your money back.

Jeff

Jeff
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message news:bSaSg.43658$5R2.11642@pd7urf3no...

Grinner wrote:

"Navin R. Johnson" wrote in message ink.net...

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message ...

I think your expectations were competely unreasonable.
Do you really think SA, or GW or any of those charities
can afford to hire people who know a power prick from
a toaster?
^^^^^^
Interesting...power prick...never seen onna those at GW or SA..

...would that be battery or AC ?

what is GW?

Goodwill

yeah...

why is abbreviation such a long word?
;-)-~

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"taharka" wrote in message ...

Hmm.... GW = Goodwill Industries perhaps?

You are correct sir.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Navin R. Johnson" wrote in message
ink.net...

why is abbreviation such a long word?

In Unix, 'terse' is written as 'trs'.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
Like eBay : if it says "Looks good but I haven't tested it so sold as is"
means "I did test it and it doesn't work".

I once saw a free VCR on a local mailing list. Since I knew the person,
I called and got it from them. I took it apart, removed the dried coca-cola,
cleaned the heads and replaced the main drive belt.

I did not fix the dim flourescent display, as I really don't care
too much about it.

Since I knew the person I sent her an email thanking her for it, without
going into the amount of work needed to get it going agin.

The next time she advertised a piece in similar condition, she wanted
$25 for it.

It's all a matter of perception.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

JerrySmith'sTightEnd wrote:

They must have tried to get her sobered up once upon a time. Stupid drunk
whore.

You make that sound like it's a bad thing.
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Jeff wrote:
No one gets out of Life alive.

But there is always those Undead persons. Don't forget them.
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"VampiressX" wrote in message
JerrySmith'sTightEnd wrote:

They must have tried to get her sobered up once upon a time. Stupid
drunk whore.

I beg to differ on that..

You make that sound like it's a bad thing.

Here, have a VB and forget the plastic forks in the eyes stuff, ;-)
Here for a good time not a loing time.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Jeff wrote:
No one gets out of Life alive.

But there is always those Undead persons. Don't forget them.

and those sinister garden gnomes.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Jeff wrote:

No one gets out of Life alive.

Everyone gets out alive.

--
Stephen
Lennox Head, Australia
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Grinner wrote:

Here, have a VB and forget the plastic forks in the eyes stuff, ;-)
Here for a good time not a loing time.

You know me too well
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

On 25 Sep 2006 13:07:15 -0700, "boardjunkie"
wrote:

[...]

Buy something that is returnable for refund wwith the store credit and
wait a week or two and get your money back...
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

I got an awesome sharkskin suit @ Sal's for $17. I wore it onstage with
Cyndi Lauper & got many compliments on how good it looked under the lights.
I go there all the time but I wouldn't buy any modern electronics from them.
Their return policy is posted all sales final, all items sold 'as is', no
returns ever. Caveat Emptor seems appropriate here...

-- jepp
if it sounds good...IT IS GOOD!

"boardjunkie" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Stephen Calder" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

No one gets out of Life alive.

Everyone gets out alive.

Funny you should mention that I just read Poe's "a premature burial".
brrrr scary.

--
Stephen
Lennox Head, Australia

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Grinner wrote:

Here, have a VB and forget the plastic forks in the eyes stuff, ;-)
Here for a good time not a loing time.

You know me too well

I have those sorts of days. I've actually gone off VB, started buying
Carlton Cold 'cause they were cheaper. Bought two slabs of VB on special and
now I'm struggling to get through 'em.
:-(.

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Jeff wrote:

No one gets out of Life alive.

Everyone gets out alive.

Funny you should mention that I just read Poe's "a premature burial".
brrrr scary.

Yes, one of the darkest fantasies.

It would hold no terror for anyone who realised with certainty that
death is not the end.

Please don't come and try it on me; my intention is to drop the body at
the appropriate time rather than inviting death as an attempt to escape.

--
Stephen
Lennox Head, Australia
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Jeff wrote:

No one gets out of Life alive.

Everyone gets out alive.

Funny you should mention that I just read Poe's "a premature burial".
brrrr scary.

Yes, one of the darkest fantasies.

It would hold no terror for anyone who realised with certainty that death
is not the end.

How do you know for certain. I've heard stories about white lights and
tunnels etc. The only real face to face version I've heard is from a mate
who nearly drowned who said his whole life flashed before him somehow.

Please don't come and try it on me; my intention is to drop the body at
the appropriate time rather than inviting death as an attempt to escape.

LOL ! A flame thread about modes is nothing I'd want to prematurely bury
anyone over. Rest easy, mate.The only reason I'd go to Lennox Head is for an
onshore breeze and a 3 metre swell or to get away from the dropkick
community that is Byron Bay.

--
Stephen
Lennox Head, Australia

Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

Grinner wrote:

I have those sorts of days. I've actually gone off VB, started buying
Carlton Cold 'cause they were cheaper. Bought two slabs of VB on special and
now I'm struggling to get through 'em.
:-(.

Then you need to check out the "VB Original" line of beer. Truly amazing.
Posted to alt.guitar,sci.electronics.repair

"Stephen Calder" wrote in message

Yes, one of the darkest fantasies.

It would hold no terror for anyone who realised with certainty that death
is not the end.

Please don't come and try it on me; my intention is to drop the body at
the appropriate time rather than inviting death as an attempt to escape.

Don't forget the purple face cloth and the coolaid.