Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MashBrain

Default WELLER Solder Pencil Impedances

Can anyone help with Weller Solder pencil information? I am trying to
repair an EC-2002 station w/ EC1204A pencil. I need to understand the
connections going to the pencil. I have googled for two days without
finding info on these wiring connections.

To be more clear, I am trying to determine what wire on the EC2002 base
is connected to what part in the EC1204 pencil. On my base, there is
the connector at the left lower corner, looking at the face of the base
unit.

This connector has six female pins - I am calling the right upper one
(PIN1), the one right under it, (PIN2), and the bottom center one
(PIN3), then, continuing in rotation, (PIN4) and (PIN5). The center
pin is (PIN6).

Can anyone either tell me what each pin is connected to in the pencil,
or can anyone measure the resistance between the pins of their unit and
respond with the readings?

I am pretty sure that (PIN1) is one side of the Heating Element, and
that (PIN2) is the other side. (My Element measures about 10 0hms.) I
think (PIN3) is one side of the RTD Sensor and (PIN4) is the other, but
my reading between these pins is infinite. I think (PIN5) is the ESD
Gnd. And lastly, I can't determine what is connected to (PIN6), and
can't even guess what other connection is used or is necessary in the
pencil to require this pin.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"MashBrain" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

6 pins ??? on an EC2002A base unit?
Do you have a center pin (6-pin DIN) on your EC 2002A base unit ?

Weller discontinued the EC base stations (EC1002, EC2002) in 2002 when they
moved production to Mexico for 2003.

FIRST, you must be very CAREFUL with the EC series.
Weller switched pin assignments from the first generation stations (late
1970s to early 1980s) to the later ones

Hook up these irons wrong -- (24 VAC to the RTC sensor) and the RTC sensor
is history !!
($50 mistake)

Are you positive that this is an EC1204A pencil ??
and not the EC 1504 pencil?
OR the EC1201A ? which is 5 wire

Spelling and models numbers make a huge difference (see first line)

I am slowly scanning the Weller Tech Sheets that have from that era,
I am posting them at BAMA.
The EC229 will show you proper wiring of the RTC sensor for the EC1201A
iron.
Notice that the red and Black wire are the RTC sensor wires within the iron.
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weller/

Here is the Weller EC2002A manual (from their web site)
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...002M_OI_PL.pdf

You should have 2 GOLD socket pins on you EC2002 base -- these designate the
RTC sensor pins (Weller did that on purpose) - and you can not purchase
those gold pins in small quantities from Amp/Tyco.

IRON cord and handle - colors and pin assignments.

For the EC 1201A IRON,

Black wire goes to # 3 (gold pin)
Red wire goes to # 4 (gold pin)
Ground/bare wire goes to # 5
White goes to # 2
Yellow goes to # 1

Confirm the GROUND LEAD on your base unit.
Unplug from AC line.
Check continuity between ground lug of AC line cord and
the EC 2002A base unit connector (it will be pin 5, silver colored)

Don't have the correct tools?

AMP/Tyco extractor tool 91136-1 (DigiKey part number: A25081-ND) This tool
increased in price by $10 over past few months.

Search on these part number at the AMP/Tyco web page:
http://search.tycoelectronics.com/electronics/

91136-1 (408-7859)
114-10011

Weller (and Pace) soldering stations both use the Amp/Tyco audio/Instrument
connectors
found on page 292 of the DigiKey On-line catalog. Upper left corner of this
page:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T062/0282.pdf

Need help?
You may want to call Weller Customer Support in North Carolina --
For this last call, I dealt with Debbie Crizer, Lead Customer Service Rep.

Weller Repair Services
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...cingPolicy.pdf

Dino Chandler manages the Weller Repair Center

g. beat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"MashBrain" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

OK, your EC2002A base unit has a 6-pin DIN connector (are you sure there is
a silver pin in the center connector spot?

The PES51 iron (goes with the WES51 station) uses the center pin (pin 6)
instead of (pin 1) for the heater. I am not certain why Weller did this --
BUT it was likely to prevent users from
plugging this higher 50 watt PES51 iron into base units with earlier control
boards
that did not have a large enough Triac (and heat sink).

I have NOT tested - that configuration - it is on my "things to do".

PIN 3 is one side of the RTD Sensor
PIN 4 is the other side
PIN 5 is ESD ground

This sounds about right.

my reading between these pins (3 and 4) on the iron plug is infinite.

That sounds like a bad RTC sensor (platinum BTW) in the iron -
it should be around 22 ohms at 23 degrees C

g. beat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MashBrain

Hi _g. post_

Thanks for the speedy, and informative, reply. Your info was very
helpful.
I am not aware to what BAMA refers - could you give me a heads up? It
seems as if Google should have noticed a treasure trove of Weller tech
sheets like you are inputting.

I also need to do a little confessing. I wrote my original post late
at nite - that accounts for some dis-information. Secondly, I skirted
the truth a little in order to get to the heart of my inquiry. All that
did was to confuse you. So, as Paul Harvey says, here is the rest of
the story.

My base is an EC2002M-O power unit. The back sticker displays the
COOPER logo prominently, so I would guess that the base dates from
after the 1980's. It was originally paired with a EC1201A pencil, but I
loaned the unit to a technician and when it was returned several months
later, he said he could no longer find the pencil. I have a
non-functioning EC1503A pencil, so I was trying to get the station back
in working order by repairing the EC1503A pencil. This lead to my
inspection of the base-unit connector and the discovery of the sixth
pin in the Tyco/Amphenol base-unit connector. (I no longer have the
EC1201A pencil, so I can't determine if it had a sixth pin.) (By the
way - I thought I was pretty observant, but I completely missed the
fact that you pointed out - that two of the pins in the connector -pins
3&4- are gold, while the other four are silver.)

Your link to the cooperhandtools manual was helpful, but it does not
illustrate the sixth pin in the center of the connector. Mine has a
(silver) sixth pin in the center of the other five pins. This pin has
a blue wire which connects to the circuit board. I spend quite a while
with a lope to confirm that this pin connects to the PIC MPU IC on the
circuit board. The schematic of the PIC MPU says that the pin (pin17)
is an I or an O pin depending on the programming of the chip. I have
no way of referencing the program code, so I can't determine whether
this is an input or an output, but I would guess that is is used as an
input since there is a 10K (I think) resistor in series with the lead.
(i.e.,base connector pin 6 to blue wire to circuit board to 10K to pin
17 of the PIC processor.) One unsupported quess is that this is an
input and that it is used to implement a software zero-crossing
detector to control the TRIAC turn-on point, but, this seems like a
really round-about way to make the connection for a zero-crossing
signal. If you have any ideas, I would really appreciate hearing them.

I guess my real question at this point is, do you think fixing the
EC1503A pencil (replacing the RTD) is a way to go here? Do I need to
worry about the center pin at all? My other soldering station is a
cheapo Unger, and I really miss the Weller.

Thanks - MashBrain

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"MashBrain" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi _g. beat_

Thanks for the speedy, and informative, reply. Your info was very
helpful. I am not aware to what BAMA refers - could you give me a heads
up?

BAMA is the acronym for BoatAnchor Manual Archive. Boatanchor is the
"slang" term used for old tube-type radio and short wave receivers and
equipment. It was started by Ken Grimm in Lynchburg, VA. It is a valuable
repository for manual of many companies that are no longer in business or
large companies that have exited the electronics industry. Most of this
equipment is 1930's through 1960's

Ken was kind enough to include the earlier Weller information (discontinued
products).

My base is an EC2002M-O power unit. The back sticker displays the
COOPER logo prominently, so I would guess that the base dates from
after the 1980's. It was originally paired with a EC1201A pencil, but I
loaned the unit to a technician and when it was returned several months
later, he said he could no longer find the pencil.

A new EC 1201A pencil cost $ 100, I don't loan my tools -
too many sticky fingers (can't find it ) these days.
Ask him for $100 to replace that iron - and he will find it in a box.

BTW, a new EC1503B iron is $ 130 .. so yes I think it is worth getting fixed
properly.
I assume that your "A" has a white silicon cord (may be only difference)
http://www.wassco.com/welec42wsoli.html

I have a non-functioning EC1503A pencil, so I was trying to get the
station back
in working order by repairing the EC1503A pencil. This lead to my
inspection of the base-unit connector and the discovery of the sixth
pin in the Tyco/Amphenol base-unit connector. (I no longer have the
EC1201A pencil, so I can't determine if it had a sixth pin.) (By the
way - I thought I was pretty observant, but I completely missed the
fact that you pointed out - that two of the pins in the connector -pins
3&4- are gold, while the other four are silver.)

I have not worked on the EC 1503 pencil - it was a high wattage pencil.
Weller is the best to ask about availability for those parts.
Wassco lists a EC263B Sensor Assembly (WAS-02-18901) at $58
That may be the correct part

I usually use Action Electronics or Wassco for many parts orders,
BUT thee are MANY other good dealers / distributors throughout the US.

You can also call Weller for parts directly (use direct number below) - or
they can tell you of local dealer / distributor near you

Cooper Tools / Weller
1000 Lutkin Road
Apex, NC 27502
Toll free number: (800) 476-3030 ext. 2
Direct (919) 362-7542
FAX: (919) 387-2640

Action Electronics (Northern CA)
http://www.action-electronics.com/weller.htm

Wassco (Southern CA)
http://www.wassco.com/ecserreppar.html

Your link to the cooperhandtools manual was helpful, but it does not
illustrate the sixth pin in the center of the connector. Mine has a
(silver) sixth pin in the center of the other five pins. This pin has
a blue wire which connects to the circuit board.

I do have a new wiring harness (EC270) for the station's control board in
front of me (arrived from Weller yesterday). The blue wire is there, I have
removed it for retro-fit repairs.

On earlier EC1002 stations that I have opened up - this wire was cut and not
installed to the iron connector.

The Pace soldering irons (PS-80, PS-90) use the middle pin in the 6-pin DIN
connector -- just like the new WES51 station. I am almost positive that Pace
uses that as a heater connection -- BUT I would have to pull that
documentation up to see how they are wired.

In the PES51 iron (for WES51 station)- that wire is used for the heater (and
pin 1 is blank)

I spend quite a while with a lope to confirm that this pin connects to the
PIC MPU IC on the
circuit board. The schematic of the PIC MPU says that the pin (pin17)
is an I or an O pin depending on the programming of the chip. I have
no way of referencing the program code, so I can't determine whether
this is an input or an output, but I would guess that is used as an
input since there is a 10K (I think) resistor in series with the lead.
(i.e.,base connector pin 6 to blue wire to circuit board to 10K to pin
17 of the PIC processor.)

DVM or VOM (Scope -- if you have one)

One unsupported guess is that this is an
input and that it is used to implement a software zero-crossing
detector to control the TRIAC turn-on point, but, this seems like a
really round-about way to make the connection for a zero-crossing
signal. If you have any ideas, I would really appreciate hearing them.

I am looking at a block diagram of a Weller Thermolock (circa 1987) and
that seems likely. The zero crossing (+/-) firing drives the Gate Driver -
which is interfaced to the charge switch (RTD sensor control) and the Triac.

I pulled out a spare EC271 (EC1002 control board - latest version).
Blue pin goes to a breakout of 2 resistors (10K and 100K) and a capacitor.

The 100K resistor line goes onto larger 3-pin surface mount component:
W0242
MC7805C3

That appears to be a 5 volt voltage regulator,
So the blue lead (through the 100K resistor) goes to the output lead on the
regulator,
the center pin is cut (no connection)
and the input lead goes through diode (looks to be 1N4001) and
100 ohm resistor -- this ends up at 24 VAC feed from Red wire (24 VAC
secondary) of transformer in base unit. (This is also the lead to pin 1 on
the base's front connector for iron).

Looks like pin 1 is for temperature compensating?

I guess my real question at this point is, do you think fixing the
EC1503A pencil (replacing the RTD) is a way to go here? Do I need to
worry about the center pin at all? My other soldering station is a
cheapo Unger, and I really miss the Weller.

YES, a new EC1503B iron is $ 130 .. I think it is worthwhile getting fixed
properly.
If the heater is OK and you are sure that the 2002 base unit is OK (you can
read the voltages in the 2002 manual for troubleshooting to verify)
The RTD, as you see is a significant cost (1/2) of the overall iron's cost.

Ungar made some good stations. Parts for these are still available - Action
Electronics in California was one of Ungar largest west coast resellers in
1990s (they have good knowledge of parts and service for them).

g. beat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"MashBrain" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi _g. beat_

Thanks for the speedy, and informative, reply. Your info was very
helpful.
I guess my real question at this point is, do you think fixing the
EC1503A pencil (replacing the RTD) is a way to go here? Do I need to
worry about the center pin at all? My other soldering station is a
cheapo Unger, and I really miss the Weller.

I just checked Weller Repair service (Dino chandler) prices for your EC
1503B iron - its only $50 !! .

that is actually a bit cheaper than buying the RTD part ($55) and repairing
it yourself !!

gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

Default Weller Warranty & Repair Price Sheet

Here is the Weller Warranty and Repair (out of warranty) Price sheet.
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...cingPolicy.pdf

Many of these prices are quite good -- in some instances - it is cheaper
than individual parts - and you get the labor for free. You can e--mail the
service center (Dino Chandler, manager) for specific requirements or
repairs.

g. beat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MashBrain

Hi again:

Again, thanks for _all_ the info. I need to sit back and digest all of
it now. I will probably try a new pencil - I'll have to check the
comparative prices for the EC1201A, EC1302A, and the EC1503A units.
The stuff I'm doing nodays, the EC1201A is adequate, but why have an
adjustable unit if I don't have the hi-watt pencil if/when I need the
extra heat.

And again, I agree with your info about the circuit board components.
The RC network on the blue lead is as you describe. I was again
trimming my description to a too-bare minimum in order to talk about
something else. mea culpa.

One other point of curiosity - I thought the PACE pencils used a
different RTD - about 100 ohms at 75F. Do you know where I can check
on that?

Well, if anything particularily interesting develops, I'll post a
follow-up, but at this point, it seems like this has turned into a
"tear it down, fix the broke stuff, put it back together, and use it
for another 25 years".

It is really a pleasure to put out a feeler like this and get back a
prompt, knowledgeable, definitive answer. Thanks again.

MashBrain

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"MashBrain" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi again:

Again, thanks for _all_ the info. I need to sit back and digest all of
it now. I will probably try a new pencil - I'll have to check the
comparative prices for the EC1201A, EC1302B, and the EC1503A units.
The stuff I'm doing now-a-days, the EC1201A is adequate, but why have an
adjustable unit if I don't have the hi-watt pencil if/when I need the
extra heat.

IF you have a library of "ET" tips -- the EC 1201A is a great iron - and it
is the iron
that I include with the EC 1002 stations I refurbish. Shop around, but it
will cost you a "C' note for a new one -- wherever you buy it. Plenty of
Internet sites that will sell this -- but chekc is they actually hsave it IN
STOCK !

I still would get the $$ out of your technician who lost your EC 1201A.

The EC1503A is a "different" duck - it has the highest wattage (42 - 45
watt) of the 3 you mentioned and was built for point-to-point, power supply
building and soldering of "larger mass" (electrical component, etc.). For
$50 it is an easy fix - but depnds on your usage.

You might find a few dead EC 1201A irons (place a want ad).
If heater is not bad ($20 repair) -- then it is the RTD sensor ($50) -- then
its 1/2 price of a new one.

The EC 1302B is a sweet iron for small surface mount work. I rewired an
older EC1301 to work with my stations, at 20 watts it is just enough for
touch-up on those small resistors

I have never asked Weller if the PES51 (at $30) could be rewired (plug
change) for the EC2002 base units. That would be an interesting question for
Weller.

And again, I agree with your info about the circuit board components.
The RC network on the blue lead is as you describe. I was again
trimming my description to a too-bare minimum in order to talk about
something else. mea culpa.

I have now seen 4 different board layouts (analog dial) for the "EC" series
control boards.
From the 1980s ceramic surface mount boards - that can crack (due to
physical shock to base - dropping) to the most recent PIC processor with
good sized heat sink on Triac.

I think this last design I received last week -- with a green LED -- are
actually WES50 / 51 control boards -- using the older harness. I will have
to open up a WES51 station sometime to confirm.

One other point of curiosity - I thought the PACE pencils used a
different RTD - about 100 ohms at 75F. Do you know where I can check
on that?

You may be correct. There are some differences between the SP-1A and PS-80
/ PS-90. I have one, I just have not taken the time to measure the RTD
sensor resistance at 23 C

I once acquired a Pace base unit (ST-25) that has an EC 1201A attached to
it.
I separated them -- and matched them to their proper configurations -
but they were both okay. That is the problem with these equipment auctions
and sales - mismatching of items.

g. beat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"MashBrain" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi again:

Again, thanks for _all_ the info. I need to sit back and digest all of
it now. I will probably try a new pencil - I'll have to check the
comparative prices for the EC1201A, EC1302A, and the EC1503A units.
The stuff I'm doing nodays, the EC1201A is adequate, but why have an
adjustable unit if I don't have the hi-watt pencil if/when I need the
extra heat.

One other option to consider.
Place the EC 2002 on eBay for sale, make a few dollars.

Go out and purchase a Weller WES51 or WESD51, if you have other ET tips on
your workbench. Those tips are same as used in these 2 new stations.
You will pay the same amount of money for one of these new stations as
buying a new EC1201A iron ! The replacement PES51 iron for those base
units sells for $30 - integrated sensor and heater (cuts costs).

Tied of Weller? then the Hakko 936-12 is a good buy (analog dial) for
around $ 90.

g. beat

Aluminum soldering rich brenz Metalworking 15 May 19th 05 02:04 PM
How do tell a liquid from a solid? Jeffrey Lindemuth Metalworking 20 December 29th 03 05:16 PM
Repair Weller Solder Station David Shalita Electronics Repair 1 September 1st 03 10:52 PM
Solder Bryan Electronics 2 August 23rd 03 07:37 PM
I LOVE Speedfit! David W.E. Roberts UK diy 53 August 14th 03 05:05 PM