Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

Default WELLER Solder Pencil Impedances

"MashBrain" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone help with Weller Solder pencil information? I am trying to
repair an EC-2002 station w/ EC1204A pencil. I need to understand the
connections going to the pencil. I have googled for two days without
finding info on these wiring connections.

To be more clear, I am trying to determine what wire on the EC2002 base
is connected to what part in the EC1204 pencil. On my base, there is
the connector at the left lower corner, looking at the face of the base
unit.

This connector has six female pins - I am calling the right upper one
(PIN1), the one right under it, (PIN2), and the bottom center one
(PIN3), then, continuing in rotation, (PIN4) and (PIN5). The center
pin is (PIN6).

Can anyone either tell me what each pin is connected to in the pencil,
or can anyone measure the resistance between the pins of their unit and
respond with the readings?

I am pretty sure that (PIN1) is one side of the Heating Element, and
that (PIN2) is the other side. (My Element measures about 10 0hms.) I
think (PIN3) is one side of the RTD Sensor and (PIN4) is the other, but
my reading between these pins is infinite. I think (PIN5) is the ESD
Gnd. And lastly, I can't determine what is connected to (PIN6), and
can't even guess what other connection is used or is necessary in the
pencil to require this pin.

Thanks in advance.

OK, your EC2002A base unit has a 6-pin DIN connector (are you sure there is
a silver pin in the center connector spot?

The PES51 iron (goes with the WES51 station) uses the center pin (pin 6)
instead of (pin 1) for the heater. I am not certain why Weller did this --
BUT it was likely to prevent users from
plugging this higher 50 watt PES51 iron into base units with earlier control
boards
that did not have a large enough Triac (and heat sink).

I have NOT tested - that configuration - it is on my "things to do".

PIN 3 is one side of the RTD Sensor
PIN 4 is the other side
PIN 5 is ESD ground

This sounds about right.

my reading between these pins (3 and 4) on the iron plug is infinite.

That sounds like a bad RTC sensor (platinum BTW) in the iron -
it should be around 22 ohms at 23 degrees C

g. beat