Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

Default WELLER Solder Pencil Impedances

"MashBrain" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone help with Weller Solder pencil information? I am trying to
repair an EC-2002 station w/ EC1204A pencil. I need to understand the
connections going to the pencil. I have googled for two days without
finding info on these wiring connections.

To be more clear, I am trying to determine what wire on the EC2002 base
is connected to what part in the EC1204 pencil. On my base, there is
the connector at the left lower corner, looking at the face of the base
unit.

This connector has six female pins - I am calling the right upper one
(PIN1), the one right under it, (PIN2), and the bottom center one
(PIN3), then, continuing in rotation, (PIN4) and (PIN5). The center
pin is (PIN6).

Can anyone either tell me what each pin is connected to in the pencil,
or can anyone measure the resistance between the pins of their unit and
respond with the readings?

I am pretty sure that (PIN1) is one side of the Heating Element, and
that (PIN2) is the other side. (My Element measures about 10 0hms.) I
think (PIN3) is one side of the RTD Sensor and (PIN4) is the other, but
my reading between these pins is infinite. I think (PIN5) is the ESD
Gnd. And lastly, I can't determine what is connected to (PIN6), and
can't even guess what other connection is used or is necessary in the
pencil to require this pin.

Thanks in advance.

6 pins ??? on an EC2002A base unit?
Do you have a center pin (6-pin DIN) on your EC 2002A base unit ?

Weller discontinued the EC base stations (EC1002, EC2002) in 2002 when they
moved production to Mexico for 2003.

FIRST, you must be very CAREFUL with the EC series.
Weller switched pin assignments from the first generation stations (late
1970s to early 1980s) to the later ones

Hook up these irons wrong -- (24 VAC to the RTC sensor) and the RTC sensor
is history !!
($50 mistake)

Are you positive that this is an EC1204A pencil ??
and not the EC 1504 pencil?
OR the EC1201A ? which is 5 wire

Spelling and models numbers make a huge difference (see first line)

I am slowly scanning the Weller Tech Sheets that have from that era,
I am posting them at BAMA.
The EC229 will show you proper wiring of the RTC sensor for the EC1201A
iron.
Notice that the red and Black wire are the RTC sensor wires within the iron.
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weller/

Here is the Weller EC2002A manual (from their web site)
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...002M_OI_PL.pdf

You should have 2 GOLD socket pins on you EC2002 base -- these designate the
RTC sensor pins (Weller did that on purpose) - and you can not purchase
those gold pins in small quantities from Amp/Tyco.

IRON cord and handle - colors and pin assignments.

For the EC 1201A IRON,

Black wire goes to # 3 (gold pin)
Red wire goes to # 4 (gold pin)
Ground/bare wire goes to # 5
White goes to # 2
Yellow goes to # 1

Confirm the GROUND LEAD on your base unit.
Unplug from AC line.
Check continuity between ground lug of AC line cord and
the EC 2002A base unit connector (it will be pin 5, silver colored)

Don't have the correct tools?

AMP/Tyco extractor tool 91136-1 (DigiKey part number: A25081-ND) This tool
increased in price by $10 over past few months.

Search on these part number at the AMP/Tyco web page:
http://search.tycoelectronics.com/electronics/

91136-1 (408-7859)
114-10011

Weller (and Pace) soldering stations both use the Amp/Tyco audio/Instrument
connectors
found on page 292 of the DigiKey On-line catalog. Upper left corner of this
page:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T062/0282.pdf

Need help?
You may want to call Weller Customer Support in North Carolina --
For this last call, I dealt with Debbie Crizer, Lead Customer Service Rep.

Weller Repair Services
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...cingPolicy.pdf

Dino Chandler manages the Weller Repair Center

g. beat