Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

Default Weller Warranty & Repair Price Sheet

"MashBrain" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi again:

Again, thanks for _all_ the info. I need to sit back and digest all of
it now. I will probably try a new pencil - I'll have to check the
comparative prices for the EC1201A, EC1302B, and the EC1503A units.
The stuff I'm doing now-a-days, the EC1201A is adequate, but why have an
adjustable unit if I don't have the hi-watt pencil if/when I need the
extra heat.

IF you have a library of "ET" tips -- the EC 1201A is a great iron - and it
is the iron
that I include with the EC 1002 stations I refurbish. Shop around, but it
will cost you a "C' note for a new one -- wherever you buy it. Plenty of
Internet sites that will sell this -- but chekc is they actually hsave it IN
STOCK !

I still would get the $$ out of your technician who lost your EC 1201A.

The EC1503A is a "different" duck - it has the highest wattage (42 - 45
watt) of the 3 you mentioned and was built for point-to-point, power supply
building and soldering of "larger mass" (electrical component, etc.). For
$50 it is an easy fix - but depnds on your usage.

You might find a few dead EC 1201A irons (place a want ad).
If heater is not bad ($20 repair) -- then it is the RTD sensor ($50) -- then
its 1/2 price of a new one.

The EC 1302B is a sweet iron for small surface mount work. I rewired an
older EC1301 to work with my stations, at 20 watts it is just enough for
touch-up on those small resistors

I have never asked Weller if the PES51 (at $30) could be rewired (plug
change) for the EC2002 base units. That would be an interesting question for
Weller.

And again, I agree with your info about the circuit board components.
The RC network on the blue lead is as you describe. I was again
trimming my description to a too-bare minimum in order to talk about
something else. mea culpa.

I have now seen 4 different board layouts (analog dial) for the "EC" series
control boards.
From the 1980s ceramic surface mount boards - that can crack (due to
physical shock to base - dropping) to the most recent PIC processor with
good sized heat sink on Triac.

I think this last design I received last week -- with a green LED -- are
actually WES50 / 51 control boards -- using the older harness. I will have
to open up a WES51 station sometime to confirm.

One other point of curiosity - I thought the PACE pencils used a
different RTD - about 100 ohms at 75F. Do you know where I can check
on that?

You may be correct. There are some differences between the SP-1A and PS-80
/ PS-90. I have one, I just have not taken the time to measure the RTD
sensor resistance at 23 C

I once acquired a Pace base unit (ST-25) that has an EC 1201A attached to
it.
I separated them -- and matched them to their proper configurations -
but they were both okay. That is the problem with these equipment auctions
and sales - mismatching of items.

g. beat