Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dani

Default Bad CRT's!

Are you guys seeing as many Samsung 27" T.V's with bad pix tubes
as I am? I have seen six Samsung T.V.'s with bad CRT's just lately
Model # TXJ 2754, TXJ2750 A68ADT25X01 CRT in both cases. Also,
have seen a few JVC 27" units as well. They are RCA bonded yoke
type tubes. CRT's that are a close match can't be eeprom adjusted to
get propwer height/linearity, or sometimes horizontal width. They arc
orange inside. Like the vacuum is gone out of them. Anyone see this
in this CRT # ? Also, where do I get a CRT cross reference with newer
CRT's? Looked online allover, & "Googled" it. Can't find one with
anything
higher than A68AEC00X, to cross with the ones I have found bad. Thanks,

Dani.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil

Dani wrote:
Are you guys seeing as many Samsung 27" T.V's with bad pix tubes
as I am? I have seen six Samsung T.V.'s with bad CRT's just lately
Model # TXJ 2754, TXJ2750 A68ADT25X01 CRT in both cases. Also,
have seen a few JVC 27" units as well. They are RCA bonded yoke
type tubes. CRT's that are a close match can't be eeprom adjusted to
get propwer height/linearity, or sometimes horizontal width. They arc
orange inside. Like the vacuum is gone out of them. Anyone see this
in this CRT # ? Also, where do I get a CRT cross reference with newer
CRT's? Looked online allover, & "Googled" it. Can't find one with
anything
higher than A68AEC00X, to cross with the ones I have found bad. Thanks,

Dani.

I know this is sci.electronics.irepair/i BUT can it really be
economically viable to repair any CRT based TVs any more?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Layton

I repair commercial coin-operated video arcade games. I replace CRT's
in them sometimes. Wells-Gardner had a Zenith tube # A63ADG25X that
fails all the time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip

I know this is sci.electronics.irepair/i BUT can it really be
economically viable to repair any CRT based TVs any more?

Yes

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil

kip wrote:

I know this is sci.electronics.irepair/i BUT can it really be
economically viable to repair any CRT based TVs any more?

Yes

Simple fixes maybe - but if the tube has to come out then surely not,
when new TVs are so cheap. Several manufacturers have now stopped
producing CRTs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sofie

Phil:
Certain replacing CRT's on consumer televisions out of warranty is.... and
for the most part always has been a questionable repair decision.... but, of
course it ..... depends on the repair price.... obviously.
If you have a television that until a failure had an excellent picture (good
CRT) and there was a failure that could be repaired economically would you
have it fixed? .... or if you have a big screen CRT stereo television
with PIP (again, a good crt) and the repair involved replacing the vertical
deflection chip and associated parts..... wouldn't you have it fixed??? If
not, you must have more money than most of us do.
There are lots and lots of various repair tasks that make perfect sense to
go forward with..... in order to make an INTELLIGENT decision the customer
needs to have a tech (who actually opens up the set and makes tests with
real test equipment) provide him with a rather firm repair cost estimate
(usually the estimate fee applies to the repair if approved) so he can make
that decision with facts instead of wild guesses..... otherwise he may be
wasting his money by throwing out a perfectly good older television and
replacing it with some new Chinese junk from WalMart. It's like throwing
out you Seiko watch because it needs a new battery and replacing it with a
brand new cheapo hong kong watch for $3.99. It's a new watch alright but
it ain't quite the same quality, fit and finish..
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Phil" wrote in message

I know this is sci.electronics.irepair/i BUT can it really be
economically viable to repair any CRT based TVs any more?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"sofie" wrote in message

snippage..
... It's like throwing
out you Seiko watch because it needs a new battery and replacing it with a
brand new cheapo hong kong watch for $3.99. It's a new watch alright but
it ain't quite the same quality, fit and finish..

And if the Seiko watch must indicate time of a different zone than it was
originally designed for, of course u run out and buy the accessory converter
box.

Really though, a lot (majority perhaps?) of viewers are simply not
interested in dumping money into repairing old quality sets when they know
that new flat screen will not only have the HD tuner built-in but also
offers double the resolution of their cherished antique -- so they can watch
their favorite movies at that-much-closer-to-film quality.
I'm sure there are plenty of holdouts -- particularly those with poor
eyesight -- who will continue to be utterly satisfied with VHS or DVD
quality on a curved face tube with no comb filters and etc. etc., but I'm
fairly confident these are the minority now. If you own or work in a shop
and haven't seen a steady decline in older units coming in, well.. wait till
NTSC is history.. and if you STILL don't see a steady decline, you're the
luckiest shop on the planet. Yet another shop in my town (in biz for 45+
years) has just closed for this reason. That leaves only one full-blown
shop left in this city of 80,000 (that means no competition) and it's in
trouble.
Hats off to u guys who manage to maintain your profit margins. But it sure
aint gonna get any easier over time -- wouldn't ya know, they'd have to go
and invent a new 60,000-hour MTBF plasma tube!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ray:
Come on now.....it is NOT all gloom and doom.... my shop is fixing
stuff that wasn't even invented yet when I opened it in the early 70's.
DVD, CD, Projection sets, LCD computer monitors, compact stereo
systems, etc, etc. .... and of course I still have good business
with Phonograph turntables and related equipment.
Plus..... we have branched out to seek more business with the pro-audio
installation and home theatre installation areas. We also have
contracts with the local hospital, rest homes and hotels (televisions
and LCD monitors) and the local college.
Back in the 70's and 80's there was much talk of the demise of service
shops..... if you are not continually moving forward with new
technology and product training then you are going backwards.... and
eventually out of business.
electricitym
.. . . . .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

There is still a considerable price difference between a decent
CRT unit and a flat panel HD built-in-tuner TV. Many people would
opt for a $ 150 repair over a $ 2000 cost.

Ray L. Volts wrote:

Really though, a lot (majority perhaps?) of viewers are simply not
interested in dumping money into repairing old quality sets when they know
that new flat screen will not only have the HD tuner built-in but also
offers double the resolution of their cherished antique -- so they can watch
their favorite movies at that-much-closer-to-film quality.
I'm sure there are plenty of holdouts -- particularly those with poor
eyesight -- who will continue to be utterly satisfied with VHS or DVD
quality on a curved face tube with no comb filters and etc. etc., but I'm
fairly confident these are the minority now. If you own or work in a shop

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
There is still a considerable price difference between a decent
CRT unit and a flat panel HD built-in-tuner TV. Many people would
opt for a $ 150 repair over a $ 2000 cost.

$2000 now.. I predict they'll be much much less expensive soon after NTSC is
history.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

sorry for the hijack... response moved to new thread, "Sudden collapse of
TV service industry nationwide! Film at 11." -- j/k.. "Service biz
forecast"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Really though, a lot (majority perhaps?) of viewers are simply not
interested in dumping money into repairing old quality sets when they know
that new flat screen will not only have the HD tuner built-in but also
offers double the resolution of their cherished antique -- so they can

watch
their favorite movies at that-much-closer-to-film quality.

Film quality? Is that what I'm seeing when I go to the movie theater and can
see the odd speck or "blip" in the picture being shown? (Or is that poor
projector operation/dirty film?)

If these things are present on a VHS tape, I haven't noticed them. I have
seen them on some DVDs, so maybe they're unavoidable in any movie... (?)

But, with that said...I've got a couple of older TVs that I probably would
have repaired if they conked out, just because they have been good sets, and
I think they'd be hard to replace with anything made today. One is a
1970s-era Sony that plays beautifully, has one of the best TV pictures I've
ever seen (it is a Trinitron-type tube) and hasn't ever been touched. Its
only problem is failure of the adhesive on the speaker grille and picture
controls. Both were easily reglued.

The second TV is a 1983 Sony--looks a lot like the 70s set but with
"electronic" tuning. This is also a great TV and it hasn't had the adhesive
problem--yet.

The third and final set is a Zenith 13" table TV. While not on a par with
the Sony sets, the picture is very bright and clear. It's a kitchen TV, and
has held up better than any replacement I've tried. (Most have died of
broken buttons.) I've only had to clean it once to keep it running. Oddly
enough, I found it face down on the curb one day in 2001 or so. It's still
going nicely. I suppose it was replaced with some cheap set that probably
isn't around today.

If one of these broke down, I'd seriously consider having it fixed.

Now for my comments about the somewhat sad and sorry state of electronics
repair shops. If anything, I want these shops to stay in business and work
out for their owners. But I've been snubbed a few too many times when I took
something in that I wanted to have repaired. I know and understand that not
everything can be repaired, but I perceived an attitude of "we don't feel
like it" with one shop and another said they weren't equipped to work on the
item in question. The latter I can understand--the former is the kind of
thing that annoys me, and I wonder how many shops act this way.

The item in question is a IBM PS/2 power supply that won't come on. I can
see that the capacitors charge up, as a light plugged into the same outlet
will dim momentarily. I also know that the TL494 controller is being told to
shut down. (Thanks to Sam G. for taking time to look at it. He was very
helpful.) While that supply no longer exists, I have another that is dead in
the same way. But I cannot find anyone (well, there was one offer from this
group, but I never took the poster up on it because of lack of time, and I'm
not sure he's still interested in looking at it) who will even *try* (and
I'd pay to know what got it, if that was all I could know) to tell me why it
died and if it could be fixed.

(So if anyone out there is running a repair shop--preferably in the US--and
you'd be willing to look, I'd pay a fair price for your time and effort...!)

Just my (rambling and drawn out) $0.02...

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

snipped:
William R. Walsh wrote:
But I've been snubbed a few too many times when I took
something in that I wanted to have repaired.
I know and understand that not
everything can be repaired, but I perceived
an attitude of "we don't feel
like it" with one shop and another said
they weren't equipped to work on the
item in question. The latter I can understand--
the former is the kind of
thing that annoys me, and I wonder
how many shops act this way

William:
We shop owners have to make "on the spot" decisions many times a day
about what may or may not be profitable to work on.
Problematic parts availability, inavailability of documentation,
likelyhood of a final repair price that doesn't make economical or
profitabily sense, and the likely possibility that the customer won't
want the repair performed even though he would be willing to pay for an
estimate..... and then get upset if the estimate fee is wasted because
of any number of reasons that the item can not be repaired economically
or the shop can not profitably perform the repair....
..... it's a tough business so carefully I pick and choose what goes on
my bench..... and pick and chose WHO leaves the equipment for me to
repair. In these tough times we need every customer we can get.....
BUT unfortunately there are certain customers and certain types faulty
equipment that we are much better off without.
electricitym