Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

Default Bad CRT's!

There is still a considerable price difference between a decent
CRT unit and a flat panel HD built-in-tuner TV. Many people would
opt for a $ 150 repair over a $ 2000 cost.

Ray L. Volts wrote:

Really though, a lot (majority perhaps?) of viewers are simply not
interested in dumping money into repairing old quality sets when they know
that new flat screen will not only have the HD tuner built-in but also
offers double the resolution of their cherished antique -- so they can watch
their favorite movies at that-much-closer-to-film quality.
I'm sure there are plenty of holdouts -- particularly those with poor
eyesight -- who will continue to be utterly satisfied with VHS or DVD
quality on a curved face tube with no comb filters and etc. etc., but I'm
fairly confident these are the minority now. If you own or work in a shop