Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Scratched glass on monitor

Are there any solutions to fixing scratches in a monitor? I had to MRA
my monitor back to NEC for some othe problems but they said they had no
way to fix scratches in the glass. I was hoping someone out there had a
fix.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob

wrote in message ups.com...
Are there any solutions to fixing scratches in a monitor? I had to MRA
my monitor back to NEC for some othe problems but they said they had no
way to fix scratches in the glass. I was hoping someone out there had a fix.

You can buy glass polish at any auto parts store, but it will only
remove very superficial scratches. Anything deeper and you're
screwed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Bob" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...
Are there any solutions to fixing scratches in a monitor? I had to MRA
my monitor back to NEC for some othe problems but they said they had no
way to fix scratches in the glass. I was hoping someone out there had a
fix.

You can buy glass polish at any auto parts store, but it will only
remove very superficial scratches. Anything deeper and you're
screwed.

That could make things very much worse if, like many modern monitors, it has
an anti glare/anti reflective coating.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sofie

teemoh:
The "short" answer is NO.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

wrote in message
ups.com...
Are there any solutions to fixing scratches in a monitor? I had to MRA
my monitor back to NEC for some othe problems but they said they had no
way to fix scratches in the glass. I was hoping someone out there had a
fix.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"Bob" writes:

wrote in message ups.com...
Are there any solutions to fixing scratches in a monitor? I had to MRA
my monitor back to NEC for some othe problems but they said they had no

You can buy glass polish at any auto parts store, but it will only
remove very superficial scratches. Anything deeper and you're
screwed.

And if it has an AR coating, it will make a real mess.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Bob" writes:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Are there any solutions to fixing scratches in a monitor? I had to MRA
my monitor back to NEC for some othe problems but they said they had no

You can buy glass polish at any auto parts store, but it will only
remove very superficial scratches. Anything deeper and you're
screwed.

And if it has an AR coating, it will make a real mess.

But if it hasn't, and you're prepared to work at it, we used to get great
results back in the 70's using jeweller's rouge. Another thought for a '
plain ' glass faceplate. How about those windscreen scratch / chip repair
people that you see set up in supermarket carparks ? They use a glass-clear
epoxy of some description to fill the defect. Guess it might work for a CRT
faceplate blemish that wasn't too bad ??

Arfa

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob wrote:
wrote in message ups.com...

Are there any solutions to fixing scratches in a monitor? I had to MRA
my monitor back to NEC for some othe problems but they said they had no
way to fix scratches in the glass. I was hoping someone out there had a fix.

You can buy glass polish at any auto parts store, but it will only
remove very superficial scratches. Anything deeper and you're
screwed.

Not so!

I've used products sold for repairing scratches on boat/motorcycle
windshields for glass monitors. It actually fills the scratches, but
you have to be careful to follow the instructions.
I've used the same stuff to repair seriously scratched CD's with fairly
good success.
Regards
Lee
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

The proper answer is NO.

There are some polishing compounds for glass. There are different ratings in
these compounds to have the correct ones. They start with the more coarse
and work to a finer one as the screen is polished.

The problem with the CRT glass, is that they are usually coated for
anti-glare. Polishing it will remove the coating from its surface. This is
going to make the surface look very bad.

There are some glass scratch filler kits available at some of the major auto
parts suppliers. These kits are usually used to mask the scratches in the
windscreens of the cars. I have no idea of how this will work for a TV
monitor screen.

Since you have a CRT monitor, I am sure it has at least a few years on it.
Maybe it would be a good time for you to invest in to a good LCD monitor.
Once you start with a good quality one, you will never want to go back to a
CRT.

Just don't scratch an LCD monitor screen. In this type, the complete screen
would have to be replaced to fix the problem.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
ups.com...
Are there any solutions to fixing scratches in a monitor? I had to MRA
my monitor back to NEC for some othe problems but they said they had no
way to fix scratches in the glass. I was hoping someone out there had a
fix.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob

"JANA" wrote in message ...
The proper answer is NO.

There are some polishing compounds for glass. There are different ratings in
these compounds to have the correct ones. They start with the more coarse
and work to a finer one as the screen is polished.

The problem with the CRT glass, is that they are usually coated for
anti-glare.

Not usually. Some are, most aren't. No NEC CRT models
made in the last 5 years have an antiglare coating.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
crazy frog

scraches can be danger, i scached an old
BW tv years ago and some time in the night
the tube imploded, glass everyware.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Are there any solutions to fixing scratches in a monitor? I had to MRA
my monitor back to NEC for some othe problems but they said they had no
way to fix scratches in the glass. I was hoping someone out there had a
fix.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"Bob" wrote in message
ink.net...
"JANA" wrote in message
The proper answer is NO.

There are some polishing compounds for glass. There are different ratings
in
these compounds to have the correct ones. They start with the more coarse
and work to a finer one as the screen is polished.

The problem with the CRT glass, is that they are usually coated for
anti-glare.

Not usually. Some are, most aren't. No NEC CRT models
made in the last 5 years have an antiglare coating.

Not correct. My 2.5 year old FP2141SB has the G-WARAS (OptiClear) coating.
NEC still uses their OptiClear treatment on new units:

http://www.necdisplay.com/products/P....cfm?Product=2

OptiClear as defined by NEC:

http://www.necdisplay.com/support/cs...ear_screen.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"JANA" wrote in message
Since you have a CRT monitor, I am sure it has at least a few years on it.
Maybe it would be a good time for you to invest in to a good LCD monitor.
Once you start with a good quality one, you will never want to go back to
CRT.

Until you want to use your LCD monitor in any resolution other than its
native mode or you want to achieve the best color reproduction (e.g., for
WYSIWYG output). I've yet to see any LCD come close to a CRT's clarity at
multiple resolutions. Pixel-addressed displays lose every time and probably
always will in this regard.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"crazy frog" wrote in message
u...
scraches can be danger, i scached an old
BW tv years ago and some time in the night
the tube imploded, glass everyware.

Like a glass cutter, the damage from a scratch can affect glass deeper than
the visible damage. Slight scratches are OK, but with deep gouges I'd
discard the monitor after discharging the CRT.

CRT Monitors are ridiculously cheap these days so it isn't worth it to take
chances with safety.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"Dave D" writes:

"crazy frog" wrote in message
u...
scraches can be danger, i scached an old
BW tv years ago and some time in the night
the tube imploded, glass everyware.

Like a glass cutter, the damage from a scratch can affect glass deeper than
the visible damage. Slight scratches are OK, but with deep gouges I'd
discard the monitor after discharging the CRT.

CRT Monitors are ridiculously cheap these days so it isn't worth it to take
chances with safety.

However, note that CRT implosion protection has improved dramatically
since the early days of time bomb B/W TV tubes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Dave D" writes:

"crazy frog" wrote in message
u...
scraches can be danger, i scached an old
BW tv years ago and some time in the night
the tube imploded, glass everyware.

Like a glass cutter, the damage from a scratch can affect glass deeper
than
the visible damage. Slight scratches are OK, but with deep gouges I'd
discard the monitor after discharging the CRT.

CRT Monitors are ridiculously cheap these days so it isn't worth it to
take
chances with safety.

However, note that CRT implosion protection has improved dramatically
since the early days of time bomb B/W TV tubes.

True, but all things considered, a deep gouge on a crt is not worth either
the slight increased risk of implosion or trying to correct it IMHO. Also,
unlike TVs, people tend to sit very close to monitors, and even what could
be classed as a relatively safe implosion on a TV could be disastrous on a
monitor. A few years ago a 17" monitor for example would cost hundreds so
polishing out scratches was sometimes worthwhile, now they're about 65 UKP.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

I hear this a lot but it's just not true. There are cheap
CRT monitors of course, but replacing the high quality ones
some of us use is still fairly expensive.

Dave D wrote:

CRT Monitors are ridiculously cheap these days so it isn't worth it to take
chances with safety.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Most modern computer monitors have a glued on anti-glare, anti-static
plastic film layer right on the front of the glass. If the scratch
went through the filma nd into the glass, replacing the crt is the only
option. If the scratches are superficial and only in the anti-glare
plastic layer, then the picture tube can be taken out of the cabinet,
carefully peel off the antistatic layer and clean any tape residue off
the glass, and reassemble.

Two things will happen when fixing it this way: 1. You will have to
work to keep the dust off the screen every day as dust build up will be
greater. 2. The image will be brighter and also will be more
susceptible to room light glare. Gray scale may be off as it was
adjusted with the light dimming properties of the anti-glare filter in
place.

But it will be useable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark M

wrote in message oups.com...
Most modern computer monitors have a glued on anti-glare, anti-static
plastic film layer right on the front of the glass.

Maybe on your planet. Not here on Earth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yes, I have had to pull off the plastic film off the face of a large
number of computer monitors crts in order to make them useable again in
this way.

I am not sure what computer crt monitors you use, but every brand I
have encountered has the antiglare layer right on the front glass.
Even Sam Goldwasser pointed out that the polish would make a mess of
this layer in an earlier post.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:19:45 GMT, "Mark M"
wrote:

wrote in message oups.com...
Most modern computer monitors have a glued on anti-glare, anti-static
plastic film layer right on the front of the glass.

Maybe on your planet. Not here on Earth.

I've seen lots of monitors that were built this way. Most Sony
monitors made in the last 7 years or so are like this. Mitsubishi
also used this method for their monitor CRTs. Most cheaper monitors
just have the CRT face slightly frosted. Older expensive ones had the
AR coating applied directly to the CRT.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Scratched glass on monitor - INFO ON THIS POSTER!

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...s.repair/about

You will find everything you wanted to know about me in my old posts
back when I had more time to repair electronics as a side job back when
EE life was good. All long time posters here have had some information
from me in the past, mostly good.

I am not sure why you did not read the latest bio to see where I have
been and where I am now over at the other group.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Don't forget about the stuff that was on the edge of being rude,
although it did help get a better feel for some of the personal
experiences of some people though.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Mike Berger" wrote in message

I hear this a lot but it's just not true.

Yes it is- the vast majority of consumers will just buy consumer grade
cheapo monitors. I could have qualified my statement by saying '0.01% of
people still buy high end CRT monitors', but I didn't think it was necessary
in the context of the thread.

There are cheap
CRT monitors of course, but replacing the high quality ones
some of us use is still fairly expensive.

I'm sure they are.That doesn't change the fact that most people will pay
100UKP for a 17" CRT monitor.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom MacIntyre

On 27 Mar 2006 21:37:15 -0800, "
wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...s.repair/about

You will find everything you wanted to know about me in my old posts
back when I had more time to repair electronics as a side job back when
EE life was good. All long time posters here have had some information
from me in the past, mostly good.

I am not sure why you did not read the latest bio to see where I have
been and where I am now over at the other group.

You're just about to catch me on the top-posters list at my old e-mail
address, which has been dead for quite awhile... :-)

Of course it is possible for a person to have expertise in more than
one area...I never could get the mutually-exclusive idea that some
people tend to adopt.

Tom
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Dave D wrote:

I'm sure they are.That doesn't change the fact that most people will pay
100UKP for a 17" CRT monitor.

Dave

Pay for a monitor? Are you crazy? I have picked up about 65 clean SVGA
monitors in the last year for free. I only received one bad monitor so far. I
have six high end CAD monitors that I don't have video boards for. Very few are
the "El Cheapo" types.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Dave D wrote:

I'm sure they are.That doesn't change the fact that most people will pay
100UKP for a 17" CRT monitor.

Dave

Pay for a monitor? Are you crazy? I have picked up about 65 clean SVGA
monitors in the last year for free. I only received one bad monitor so
far. I
have six high end CAD monitors that I don't have video boards for. Very
few are
the "El Cheapo" types.

I envy you! ;-) I thought 40 quid for a 20" Sony 300SF was a bargain! Mind,
that was about four years ago so I guess it was.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Dave D wrote:

I envy you! ;-) I thought 40 quid for a 20" Sony 300SF was a bargain! Mind,
that was about four years ago so I guess it was.

Just let people know that you want monitors and old computers.
You'll get a lot of them from people upgrading their equipment I picked
up two computers, three monitors, and three printers today, along with a
wad of cables, keyboards and mice and today was a slow day.

Scratched black glass hob (glass stove). [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 9th 05 12:39 PM
monitor samsung syncmaster997df lucagiordan Electronics Repair 0 May 10th 05 04:53 PM
Scratched glass doozer UK diy 14 March 18th 05 10:57 AM
IIYAMA Monitor model : S102GT, and DELL P1110, are they the same monitor? private person Electronics Repair 0 February 24th 04 08:57 PM
Beautiful Karona Oak Doors w/ Scratched Glass Dave Burbank Woodworking 7 October 6th 03 10:19 PM