Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

Default Scratched glass on monitor

"Dave D" writes:

"crazy frog" wrote in message
u...
scraches can be danger, i scached an old
BW tv years ago and some time in the night
the tube imploded, glass everyware.

Like a glass cutter, the damage from a scratch can affect glass deeper than
the visible damage. Slight scratches are OK, but with deep gouges I'd
discard the monitor after discharging the CRT.

CRT Monitors are ridiculously cheap these days so it isn't worth it to take
chances with safety.

However, note that CRT implosion protection has improved dramatically
since the early days of time bomb B/W TV tubes.