doozer

Default Scratched glass

Hi,

I doubt there is a solution (well one that I would like to use) for this
problem but I thought I would try asking as you never know.

We have some glass panelled internal doors (each made up of 15 bevelled
panes) courtesy of the previous owners. They are fairly nice doors so I
would rather not replace them. The problem is that the previous owners
weren't exactly great at DIY but did like to have a go. They have
stained and varnished the doors but managed to get it all over the glass
as well. They obviously didn't like it on the glass (and nor do I) so
rather than gently removing it with a Stanley knife blade (as I am
doing) it looks like they have gone at it with a screw driver. This, of
course, has resulted in the glass getting scratched to hell and back in
places. Is there any way of removing even the smaller scratches? I would
rather not take the panes of glass out if I can help.

TIA

Graham
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

doozer wrote:
[...]

I'm fairly sure I've heard that toothpaste removes scratches from glass.....

Yes, down the page a bit... http://doityourself.com/clean/glass.htm

Si

Gerry

Try the compound which is used for jewellery polishing - 'something Red'
(possibly Rouge) I think - I have used it before with good success.
You could get a little piece down at any Jewellers.

Gerry

doozer wrote in message
[...]

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when doozer
wrote:

Is there any way of removing even the smaller scratches?

Not practically, but the very palest of blonde shellac can help to
hide them.
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Gerry"
wrote:

Try the compound which is used for jewellery polishing - 'something Red'
(possibly Rouge) I think

Too soft - so's toothpaste. The polish for glass is cerium oxide, or
maybe diamond or even silicon carbide if it's a big job.

You can buy polishing kits (paste and bobs) to go with a Dremel, but
it's a horribly slow process and dificult to make it look really well.

If you strip the panes out, bevelling costs about £6/metre. You should
be able to get a re-polish for a bit less.

--
Smert' spamionam
EricP

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:53:52 +0000, doozer
babbled like a waterfall and
said:

Ah that's more like it. I have tried toothpaste and now have a window
that is minty fresh ) but not much improved.

I decided to try Astonish sink cleaner. I have always avoided using it
on glass because I thought it would be to abrasive but it turns out it
isn't. I managed to substantially improve one fairly large scratch with
about 15 minutes work using it but to do all four doors on both sides
would take forever by hand.

Glass polishing, like all abrasive polishing is producing scratches of
reducing size until the eye thinks it's shiny.

One thing I have found useful is valve grinding paste from a motor
shop. It comes in various grades and can produce a nice finish if used
carefully.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
doozer wrote:
They obviously didn't like it on the glass (and nor do I) so
rather than gently removing it with a Stanley knife blade (as I am
doing) it looks like they have gone at it with a screw driver. This, of
course, has resulted in the glass getting scratched to hell and back in
places.

I'm not quite sure how steel manages to scratch glass?

Is there any way of removing even the smaller scratches? I would
rather not take the panes of glass out if I can help.

Polishing out scratches in glass is invariably more effort than replacing
it.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
doozer

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
doozer wrote:

They obviously didn't like it on the glass (and nor do I) so
rather than gently removing it with a Stanley knife blade (as I am
doing) it looks like they have gone at it with a screw driver. This, of
course, has resulted in the glass getting scratched to hell and back in
places.

I'm not quite sure how steel manages to scratch glass?

It feels like relatively soft glass but even so scratching glass isn't
that hard. The hardened steel tip of a screw driver is pretty tough and
I would imagine the corner could scratch glass without much trouble.

If you are a complete Muppet and use said screwdriver like a shovel I am
sure it is fairly easy in fact ).

Is there any way of removing even the smaller scratches? I would
rather not take the panes of glass out if I can help.

Polishing out scratches in glass is invariably more effort than replacing
it.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Is there any way of removing even the smaller scratches?

Not practically, but the very palest of blonde shellac can help to
hide them.

When I worked for the professional photographer he would 'repair' scratches
in his lenses with vaseline. OK, it's only temporary and won't do for the OP
but it was interesting, and it worked.

Mary

Scott

et...

wrote:

Is there any way of removing even the smaller scratches?

Not practically, but the very palest of blonde shellac can help to
hide them.

When I worked for the professional photographer he would 'repair'
scratches in his lenses with vaseline. OK, it's only temporary and won't
do for the OP but it was interesting, and it worked.

I've done a scratched CD with car wax...

Mary

raden

In message , Gerry
writes
Try the compound which is used for jewellery polishing - 'something Red'
(possibly Rouge) I think - I have used it before with good success.
You could get a little piece down at any Jewellers.

Gerry

Jewellers Rouge - It's vary abrasive, but very fine

i.e. a lot of elbow work required

--
geoff

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when raden wrote:

Really ?

Obviously this depends on the grade - jewellers use a great many
polishing compounds. But most of those described as "rouge" or
"tripoli" are the softer ones.

You'll certainly find glass polishing pastes from a jeweller's or
clockmaker's supplier.

Cutting down and Acu-Rite Glass Scale Marty Escarcega Metalworking 6 April 12th 20 11:13 PM
Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
Cutting window glass Charles H. Buchholtz Home Repair 9 November 14th 03 02:13 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM
Beautiful Karona Oak Doors w/ Scratched Glass Dave Burbank Woodworking 7 October 6th 03 10:19 PM