Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mac

Default LCD monitor, white screen with vertical lines

Hi folks,
I have a BenQ 567s V2 LCD monitor that is non-functional. It powers up but
the only picture I get is pure white with vertical red and blue lines.
While booting, however, I was able to read some of the on-screen text but
it's always fairly white. I disassembled the unit (observing all
precautions) but didn't find any loose connections.
I had sold the unit in working order but the buyer found it in this state
after shipping. It was well packed with gobs of bubble-wrap. I had him
ship it back. There are no signs of abuse inside or out.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
-Mac

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mr Fixit

"Mac" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi folks,
I have a BenQ 567s V2 LCD monitor that is non-functional. It powers up
but the only picture I get is pure white with vertical red and blue lines.
While booting, however, I was able to read some of the on-screen text but
it's always fairly white. I disassembled the unit (observing all
precautions) but didn't find any loose connections.
I had sold the unit in working order but the buyer found it in this state
after shipping. It was well packed with gobs of bubble-wrap. I had him
ship it back. There are no signs of abuse inside or out.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
-Mac

daft question is it the same one as you shipped to him??

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spudnuty

Mr Fixit wrote:
"Mac" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi folks,
I have a BenQ 567s V2 LCD monitor that is non-functional. It powers up
but the only picture I get is pure white with vertical red and blue lines.
While booting, however, I was able to read some of the on-screen text but
it's always fairly white. I disassembled the unit (observing all
precautions) but didn't find any loose connections.
I had sold the unit in working order but the buyer found it in this state
after shipping. It was well packed with gobs of bubble-wrap. I had him
ship it back. There are no signs of abuse inside or out.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
-Mac

Did you disassemble the display all the way down to inspect the
connections onto the display itself? or the display driver board? I
just worked on a Compaq laptop with LCD problems and the flex cable had
just popped off the display driver board in a number of places. It was
a soldering problem because I tested some of the components on that
same board and stopped because they would just pop off under the
slightest pressure.
Richard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mac

"Mr Fixit" wrote in message

"Mac" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi folks,
I have a BenQ 567s V2 LCD monitor that is non-functional. It powers up
but the only picture I get is pure white with vertical red and blue
lines. While booting, however, I was able to read some of the on-screen
text but it's always fairly white. I disassembled the unit (observing
all precautions) but didn't find any loose connections.
I had sold the unit in working order but the buyer found it in this state
after shipping. It was well packed with gobs of bubble-wrap. I had him
ship it back. There are no signs of abuse inside or out.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
-Mac

daft question is it the same one as you shipped to him??

Yes, same unit. Sorry if I confused everyone.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mac

"spudnuty" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mr Fixit wrote:
"Mac" wrote in message
[...]

I stopped just short of removing the panel from it's metal frame. I could
see the back sides of the FFCs, where they attach to the pcb, but not where
they connect to the panel. They looked prestine on the back so I didn't go
any further. Time for more disassembly.
Thanks,
-Mac

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mac

"spudnuty" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mr Fixit wrote:
"Mac" wrote in message
[...]

Okay, complete disassembly. FFCs look okay, at least with visual
inspection, on both ends (panel and controller board). Visual inspection of
controller board looks okay, not that just looking at it will tell me
anything. All ribbon cables, etc, are tight and look good.
Okay, I think the conclusion here is that one of the boards got fried. How
could this happen during shipping? I don't see any cracks in any of the
boards and the housing looks fine. Could the buyer have hooked it up wrong
or trashed the unit with the wrong refresh rate or something along those
lines?
Thanks again

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Mac" wrote in message
ink.net...
daft question is it the same one as you shipped to him??

Yes, same unit. Sorry if I confused everyone.

I'm not sure if you get what he's saying, so my apologies for mentioning it
again- is it possible the buyer had an identical bad monitor and ripped you
off by keeping your good one and sending his duff one back? This
unfortunately happens on eBay- people look for someone selling a good item
identical to a faulty item they have, then try to return their own garbage
to the seller and demand a refund.

They might even go as far as to swap out the insides so on the exterior
you're getting the right monitor back with the correct serial number, but
the wrong innards- there's just no way of knowing now.

The only way to deal with this is the note the serial number of any
electrical items you send out, and if possible make the item tamperproof so
you know if they've opened it, ie by getting some labels made up to stick
over the screw holes, or filling one of the screw holes with wax.

It seems very suspicious to me that it worked when it went out, and came
back faulty. I doubt it could have been damaged in transit- the glass is the
most fragile part and that is intact so I have a feeling you've been 'had'.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Mac" wrote in message
ink.net...

Could the buyer have hooked it up wrong or trashed the unit with the wrong
refresh rate or something along those lines?
Thanks again

No, the wrong refresh rate won't damage a TFT monitor.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mac

[...]

Man, I never would have thought of that! I guess my mind just doesn't work
that way.
Actually though, I did get the same one back. It has a tiny spot on the
screen in the lower right hand corner that looked as if someone had tried to
clean it and was a little too aggresive. It's only noticable when the unit
is off and the light is just right, but it's there. So unless he swapped
the anti-glare...
Well, short of having a donor for swapping parts, this ones a gonner. Oh
well, live and learn.
I do agree though, doesn't seem like a board could go bad in shipping,
unless they stacked it on an operating Tesla Coil!
Thanks for the help,
-Mac

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

There can be a lot of shock stress in shipping. It's not that unusual
to find problems occasionally with rough handling. Packages are often
tossed onto piles or conveyers.