Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mac

Default LCD monitor, white screen with vertical lines

I'm not sure if you get what he's saying, so my apologies for mentioning
it again- is it possible the buyer had an identical bad monitor and
ripped you off by keeping your good one and sending his duff one back?
This unfortunately happens on eBay- people look for someone selling a good
item identical to a faulty item they have, then try to return their own
garbage to the seller and demand a refund.

They might even go as far as to swap out the insides so on the exterior
you're getting the right monitor back with the correct serial number, but
the wrong innards- there's just no way of knowing now.

The only way to deal with this is the note the serial number of any
electrical items you send out, and if possible make the item tamperproof
so you know if they've opened it, ie by getting some labels made up to
stick over the screw holes, or filling one of the screw holes with wax.

It seems very suspicious to me that it worked when it went out, and came
back faulty. I doubt it could have been damaged in transit- the glass is
the most fragile part and that is intact so I have a feeling you've been
'had'.

Dave

Man, I never would have thought of that! I guess my mind just doesn't work
that way.
Actually though, I did get the same one back. It has a tiny spot on the
screen in the lower right hand corner that looked as if someone had tried to
clean it and was a little too aggresive. It's only noticable when the unit
is off and the light is just right, but it's there. So unless he swapped
the anti-glare...
Well, short of having a donor for swapping parts, this ones a gonner. Oh
well, live and learn.
I do agree though, doesn't seem like a board could go bad in shipping,
unless they stacked it on an operating Tesla Coil!
Thanks for the help,
-Mac