Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
n cook

Default Vinyl record deck , cartridge / stylus question

Putting a new but old stock cartridge on a vinyl deck, I'm sure I remember
the problem from years ago but not the cure . Original cartridge & stylus
missing.
Right channel on loud sections has nasty , clipping like, distortion on one
channel.
Swapping cartridge leads the distortion swaps sides.
Maximum weight for this cartridge in the notes is 2 gm but distortion
disappears at 4 to 6 gms.
Is this a problem with radial,centripetal/centrifugal force compensator,
problem with the flexible suspension material on the end of stylus arm or
what ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
Ol' Duffer

Anti-skate badly misadjusted?

In article , says...
Right channel on loud sections has nasty , clipping like, distortion
on one channel. Swapping cartridge leads the distortion swaps sides.
Maximum weight for this cartridge in the notes is 2 gm but distortion
disappears at 4 to 6 gms.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair

n cook ha escrito:

Putting a new but old stock cartridge on a vinyl deck, I'm sure I remember
the problem from years ago but not the cure . Original cartridge & stylus
missing.
Right channel on loud sections has nasty , clipping like, distortion on one
channel.
Swapping cartridge leads the distortion swaps sides.
Maximum weight for this cartridge in the notes is 2 gm but distortion
disappears at 4 to 6 gms.
Is this a problem with radial,centripetal/centrifugal force compensator,
problem with the flexible suspension material on the end of stylus arm or
what ?

are you absolutely sure that the stylus shank is not bent (even
v.slightly?) that has caused exactly this symptom for me in the
past....
-B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:27:32 -0000, "n cook"
wrote:

Putting a new but old stock cartridge on a vinyl deck, I'm sure I remember
the problem from years ago but not the cure . Original cartridge & stylus
missing.
Right channel on loud sections has nasty , clipping like, distortion on one
channel.
Swapping cartridge leads the distortion swaps sides.
Maximum weight for this cartridge in the notes is 2 gm but distortion
disappears at 4 to 6 gms.
Is this a problem with radial,centripetal/centrifugal force compensator,
problem with the flexible suspension material on the end of stylus arm or
what ?

Is there any chance that the cartridge is a Shure where the
elasticizer holding the stylus shank has hardened up? Chuck
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
Beloved Leader

What's the arm? Are you measuring stylus force with a balance, or using
the numbers on the weight on the arm's counterweight? I'm sure you
zeroed out the arm before you adjusted the counterweight.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"n cook" wrote in message
Putting a new but old stock cartridge on a vinyl deck, I'm sure I remember
the problem from years ago but not the cure . Original cartridge & stylus
missing.
Right channel on loud sections has nasty , clipping like, distortion on
one
channel.
Swapping cartridge leads the distortion swaps sides.
Maximum weight for this cartridge in the notes is 2 gm but distortion
disappears at 4 to 6 gms.
Is this a problem with radial,centripetal/centrifugal force compensator,
problem with the flexible suspension material on the end of stylus arm or
what ?

Be sure that the cartridge that you've fitted is set correctly for radial
displacement within the headshell. If the cartridge uses an eliptical sylus,
which most quality ones do, then if this is not correctly aligned with the
groove, asymmetric distortion can occur. Stylus overhang should also be
correct, but this usually requires a gauge specific to the deck / tone arm
to set.

Arfa
--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
Rune

Sounds like anti-skating force is off. Has to match weight.

This assumes that the turntable is level to start with, of course. Check on
turntable itself, not base.

Ray

"n cook" wrote in message
Putting a new but old stock cartridge on a vinyl deck, I'm sure I remember
the problem from years ago but not the cure . Original cartridge & stylus
missing.
Right channel on loud sections has nasty , clipping like, distortion on
one
channel.
Swapping cartridge leads the distortion swaps sides.
Maximum weight for this cartridge in the notes is 2 gm but distortion
disappears at 4 to 6 gms.
Is this a problem with radial,centripetal/centrifugal force compensator,
problem with the flexible suspension material on the end of stylus arm or
what ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
n cook

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"n cook" wrote in message
[...]

Problem seems to be I only had a mono LP from 1963 and using an eliptical
stylus.
Borrowed a copy of Neil Young - Harvest and problem evaporated