Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
n cook

Default Vinyl record deck , cartridge / stylus question

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"n cook" wrote in message
Putting a new but old stock cartridge on a vinyl deck, I'm sure I

remember
the problem from years ago but not the cure . Original cartridge &

stylus
missing.
Right channel on loud sections has nasty , clipping like, distortion on
one
channel.
Swapping cartridge leads the distortion swaps sides.
Maximum weight for this cartridge in the notes is 2 gm but distortion
disappears at 4 to 6 gms.
Is this a problem with radial,centripetal/centrifugal force compensator,
problem with the flexible suspension material on the end of stylus arm

or
what ?

Be sure that the cartridge that you've fitted is set correctly for radial
displacement within the headshell. If the cartridge uses an eliptical

sylus,
which most quality ones do, then if this is not correctly aligned with the
groove, asymmetric distortion can occur. Stylus overhang should also be
correct, but this usually requires a gauge specific to the deck / tone arm
to set.

Arfa
--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Problem seems to be I only had a mono LP from 1963 and using an eliptical
stylus.
Borrowed a copy of Neil Young - Harvest and problem evaporated