Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Default Vinyl record deck , cartridge / stylus question

n cook wrote:
Ol' Duffer wrote in message
Anti-skate badly misadjusted?

In article , says...
Right channel on loud sections has nasty , clipping like, distortion
on one channel. Swapping cartridge leads the distortion swaps sides.
Maximum weight for this cartridge in the notes is 2 gm but distortion
disappears at 4 to 6 gms.

Forcing the arm outwards by pushing via a nylon cable tie removes the
distorsion and pushing inwards makes it worse so presumably needs more
anti-skating. I had to rebalance the tone-arm weight for presumably a
heavier cartridge than the unseen original, does that need more anti-skate
force , i thought it should go up with more stylus weight.

Proper procedure is to balance the arm--with anti-skate set to zero--to
the point where it is 'just' floating above the surface of the record,
set the weight indicator for zero at that point; then dial in the
correct stylus pressure. Usually I set for the high end of the
manufacturers recommendation. At that point, if a calibrated anti-skate
dial is present, I adjust that to the same setting as the stylus and listen.

It's important to do this in order. If you have to go grossly above the
recommended weight in order for it to sound 'good', something's
wrong...either with the cartridge, stylus or tonearm.

jak