Steve

Default Deck Joists question?

I'm building a deck (1st time building a deck) using cement deck blocks for
support (21 blocks). Deck is 10' x 12' on the side of a AG pool. Each joist
is supported by 3 - 4"x4"s set in the deck blocks. Eack 4"x4" has to be cut
to fit due to uneven ground.

I have 4 joists in place now and I notice they arent perfectly even with
each other. I was using a 2' level to set the hight as I was putting them
in. When I stretch a string across all the joists I can see a variation of
up to .125" from joist to joist. I could go back and shim under some of the
joist but I was wondering how much differance it will make?

Will this variation be noticable when the 5/4 PT decking is screwed down??

Also, Do you have to screw the decking down at every joist? Can you screw
down the decking at every other joist then alternate with the next board??

Thanks for any advice!

Steve

YesMaam27577

I'll take the last question first. Yes, you should fasten the decking
to every joist. (No exceptions.)

The uneven joists may be an issue. The average person can see a
deflection of an eighth of an inch, and your feet will fell it too.
But it depends on how small of a span the .125 difference occurrs
within. If there is a gradual slope of a total of .125 over a distance
of six or eight feet, then no one will notice.

If the .125 difference is between two adjacent joists, then I'd fix it
before I decked it.

"Steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

Pop

The.125 is between adjacent joists. 16" on center.
I was thinking the same thing but having never built a deck I was
wondering how accurately aligned the joists are on the average deck.

Seems like it would be easier if it was a conventional deck and I
could use joist hangers.

I'll fix the 4 joists before I move on to the next 5. Thanks for the
opinions!!!

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

gg

I really dont think anyone can notice.125"I'm guessing of an inch, over 16"
span. I didnt think any wood decks got that close beside the deck will
shrink much more than this the first summer .its nothing to worry about,what
are you measuring with anyway, a micrometer.or feeler gauges.

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

amder

You would not even notice 0.125.
Chances are one board has a higher moisture content than the other,
thus the difference.
They will all never be the same.
If you want to run a strip of shingles down the length of the joist
that is too low.
But if it were me I would not worry about it as you would never notice
it.
Duw to the varing moisture contents of exterior wood, you will never
obtain all joists 3exactly even,
If you are only 0.125 off, pat yoursel on the back for a job well
done.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:27:19 GMT, "gg"
wrote:

I really dont think anyone can notice.125"I'm guessing of an inch, over 16"
span. I didnt think any wood decks got that close beside the deck will
shrink much more than this the first summer .its nothing to worry about,what
are you measuring with anyway, a micrometer.or feeler gauges.
.. .

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

Pop

wrote:

I really dont think anyone can notice.125"I'm guessing of an inch, over 16"
span. I didnt think any wood decks got that close beside the deck will
shrink much more than this the first summer .its nothing to worry about,what
are you measuring with anyway, a micrometer.or feeler gauges.
"Pop" wrote in message

To measure I stretched a string across all the joists. If they were
even, The string would just touch each joist. I estimate the variation
to be up to 1/8" from joist to joist.

Good points about the moisture content changing the wood. Now that I
think of it, My brother in law used this same support system last year
and in the winter all the blocks shifted up and down slightly. He
figured he would shim the posts in the spring. When spring came around
the blocks had returned to there original position (frost heaving?) So
I guess 1/8" probably wont matter.

Thanks

Steve

Carpenter Ant

wrote:

To measure I stretched a string across all the joists. If they were
even, The string would just touch each joist. I estimate the variation
to be up to 1/8" from joist to joist.

How is it possible to get the joists in line if there is a joist with a bad
crown?

McQualude

gg spaketh...

I really dont think anyone can notice.125"...

...what are you measuring with anyway, a micrometer.or
feeler gauges.

..125 = 1/8" easily measurable with a tape, even a yard stick

--
McQualude

Deck: bearers or joists Rosie UK diy 4 May 28th 04 11:26 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
another leaky shower question Witchy UK diy 6 October 9th 03 05:09 PM