Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Mike Deblis

Default Problem with HP 8904A power...

Hi,

I have a NOS 8094A - it has about 2 hours on the clock, and today, just
after powering it off, there was a plume of smoke from the back and a
lot of "hissing". dead capacitor, I say to myself...

had a GOOD look inside. With a magnifying lamp. Nothing, except...

....there is a tarry deposit that smells the same as the smoke did round
the back of the main inlet IEC filter and a few spatterings of same on
the inside of the top cover above the filter and to the right (looking
from the back). I suspect, that for the first time in my career, I've a
mains filter failure...

However, a) its rivetted to the back plate (no real problem), and b) I
have no spares part number for it, and c) its a sealed unit, and this a
module replacement...

Is this a known failure mode for these units? Where could I get a spare
filter?

I should point out that it still powers up ok, but I'm understandably
not happy with it until the filter is replaced.

Any help appreciated...

Many thanks

NEC MultiSync LCD1700M Power Supply Problem Randy Thompson Electronics Repair 2 September 23rd 05 07:26 AM
Hitachi TV power problem [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 January 20th 05 05:04 PM
Viewsonic LCD Monitor - Power problem Tyrone Park Electronics Repair 1 January 12th 05 09:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Sony Projection Intermittent Power Problem Test Electronics Repair 1 September 11th 03 12:51 AM