Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
gcd

Default Problem with HP 8904A power...

Hi Mike,
the 8904A service manual is available for download from Agilent.

From what I see in my copy is that the connector is part of the loom W1 and
the connector is not identified seperately.

I just opened the top cover of mine and it's not a filtered connector. These
usually have a a silver box on the back of them with the caps and inductors.
From what I see , the filter is contained on the power supply board, a large
X2 cap is there as well as inductor etc.

Having said that - is it a 8094a or a 8904a - 600kHz ARB? Your subject says
8904a and your post says 8094a?

The 8904A has two caps on the power supply pcb just behind the IEC
connector, perhaps one of those?. These are after the bridge rectifier.

if it is the arb - does yours have any options apart from 1 & 3? If so could
you list the code numbers on the label inside at the back for those
options.

Thanks
Greg

"Mike Deblis" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a NOS 8094A - it has about 2 hours on the clock, and today, just
after powering it off, there was a plume of smoke from the back and a
lot of "hissing". dead capacitor, I say to myself...

had a GOOD look inside. With a magnifying lamp. Nothing, except...

...there is a tarry deposit that smells the same as the smoke did round
the back of the main inlet IEC filter and a few spatterings of same on
the inside of the top cover above the filter and to the right (looking
from the back). I suspect, that for the first time in my career, I've a
mains filter failure...

However, a) its rivetted to the back plate (no real problem), and b) I
have no spares part number for it, and c) its a sealed unit, and this a
module replacement...

Is this a known failure mode for these units? Where could I get a spare
filter?

I should point out that it still powers up ok, but I'm understandably
not happy with it until the filter is replaced.

Any help appreciated...

Many thanks