Junior Member

Location: europe
Post capstan motor in reversed direction

Hello there,

got a track recorder (tascam 488) with a dead capstan motor (mabuchi EG-530KD-2B). Looked for replacement and contacted the service here in Vienna - still waiting for response. In America they go for about 18 U$ on the official service departments, so I imagine here in europe they go for more.

Looked on ebay and found the same motor (EG-530KD-2F) with just one difference - the direction, it goes clockwise.The ebay price is €2, including the shipping I could get two additional spare motors for the same money the service would take.

My question: Will there be problems, if I just reverse the plus and minus poles to drive this unit counter clock wise? Specs and dimensions are the same.
It has 4 pins (A B + -), do I have to change A and B too?

Thanks in advance
Richard
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default capstan motor in reversed direction

--
range_hood

If this is the standard Mitsumi type motor, ( and looking at a picture of it
on the web, it is ) which has AB+ and - all on a small piece of PCB material
sticking out from the back of the motor, then the simple answer is no, you
cannot reverse the motor by simply reversing the + and - connections.

Inside the motor is an IC based speed governor circuit, which must have the
supply voltage connected the right way round to it. A and B go out to the hi
and lo speed adjustment circuit ( for normal and dub speeds ) which with
this type of motor, usually comprises externally mounted pots.

It / is / possible to reverse the direction of such motors, and I have done
it on many occasions when I have not had the correct direction in stock.
However, doing so involves prying off the motor rear cover, cutting the
print tracks to the actual motor pins, and rewiring the opposite way about
using thin rework wire. The governor circuit then continues to receive
correct polarity DC, whilst the polarity of the drive to the motor proper,
is reversed.

However, as far as I can see, this is an absolutely standard CCW 12v dual
speed cassette motor, and many general component suppliers stock generic
pattern replacements for these motor types.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:51:06 +0000, range_hood
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hello there,

got a track recorder (tascam 488) with a dead capstan motor (mabuchi
EG-530KD-2B). Looked for replacement and contacted the service here in
Vienna - still waiting for response. In America they go for about 18 U$
on the official service departments, so I imagine here in europe they go
for more.

Over here the trade price is AU$9 (= 5.6 euro).

Looked on ebay and found the same motor (EG-530KD-2F) with just one
difference - the direction, it goes clockwise.The ebay price is €2,
including the shipping I could get two additional spare motors for the
same money the service would take.

My question: Will there be problems, if I just reverse the plus and
minus poles to drive this unit counter clock wise?

If it were that easy, then why would there be (F)orward and (B)ackward
versions of the same motor? Have you ever seen a left handed
screwdriver? ;-)

Joking aside, these motors use electronic speed control, so reversing
the supply could damage the built-in regulator. If your motor lends
itself to disassembly, then I suppose you could reverse the motor
wires at the regulator PCB. However, I suspect the motor's housing is
probably a "crimp" type.

Specs and dimensions
are the same.
It has 4 pins (A B + -), do I have to change A and B too?

A & B are used for setting the speeds in a dual speed machine. FYI,
yours is a 1600/3200 RPM motor.

Thanks in advance
Richard

See http://www.wagner.net.au/Catalogue/05_05.pdf
and http://www.wagner.net.au/Catalogue/05_06.pdf

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Stein-Olav Lund

Arfa Daily wrote:

"range_hood" wrote in message

[...]

One other thing is the brushes are offset to make lower friction in the
direction of rotation.
If you reverse the rotation, the motor's brushes and commutator wear off
real fast---I have tried it!

Stein

Junior Member

Location: europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein-Olav Lund
Arfa Daily wrote:

"range_hood" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks alot for your input Arfa Daily, Franc Zabkar, Stein-Olav Lund.

I decided to support the local area service this time. The motor costs about €15 there. Sidenote: They are the one and only afaik here in Vienna (aut) to sell Minidisc Data (MD-Data) for ~€15. (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/Homepages/hanten/).

Anyway, next time I'gonna try to get it elsewhere. Generic pattern replacements for this motor are hard to come by in my area, so I'm going to try to reverse an CW one. Even with a halved lifetime caused by increased friction of the wear parts it would be economical. Stein, have you tried this on a comparable motor (capstan unit)?

Could you please give me a hint where to cut and resolder?
Sorry, I do not own a digital camera.

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/3357/tascam61qu.jpg (picture is 16k)

Thanks again
Richard

http://www.diybanter.com/showthread....74#post1082374

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"range_hood" wrote in message

Stein-Olav Lund Wrote:

(

[image: http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/3357/tascam61qu.jpg]
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/3357/tascam61qu.jpg (picture is
16k)

Thanks again
Richard

http://www.diybanter.com/showthread....74#post1082374

--
range_hood

You will need a small flat blade screwdriver for a start. Insert it in the
gap between the small connector PCB and the motor back plate, then twist
VERY gently, being careful not to break off the PCB stub. Once the regulator
PCB is exposed, you should be able to quickly spot the two motor
connections. From your photos, I guess that you've already managed to get
the back off. The motor pins are at 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock.

Remove all traces of solder from around them using a solder sucker or solder
wick, until you have nice flat print surrounding the motor pins.

Now, using a fine, sharp modeller's scalpel, you must isolate each motor pin
pad from the surrounding print. Make sure that if connections approach the
pad from two sides at once ( and I seem to remember that at one of the
connections, they usually do ) that the print between the two approaching
tracks, stays joined together, or gets reconnected together when you rewire.

Once you have cut around the motor pins, it is a simple job to crosswire the
print back to the motor pins ie print pad ' x ' formerly connected to motor
pin ' x ' now gets connected to motor pin ' y ' , and print pad ' y '
formerly connected to motor pin ' y ' now gets connected to motor pin ' x '.

It's probably easier to do than describe.

Once you have got it all done, you can usually even refit the motor back
cover if you're careful.
Position it correctly, then either tap it back in with a heavy pair of
pliers or similar, or carefully press it back in using a vice and a block of
wood with a hole drilled in, to protect the motor shaft.

Incidentally, if the original motor has a heat interference fit brass
pulley, rather than a plastic one, this is easily removed and fitted to the
replacement motor, by heating the pulley with a small blowtorch whilst
holding it with a fine pair of pliers. When the pulley gets hot enough, the
motor will drop out of it by gravity. You then have about 15 seconds to
position the pulley on the replacement motor shaft, before it cools enough
to re-establish a shrink fit.

Arfa

Junior Member

Location: europe

Thanks alot Arfa.
Great tutorial!

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfa Daily
"range_hood" wrote in message

Stein-Olav Lund Wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

"range_hood"
wrote in message

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"range_hood" wrote in message

Thanks alot Arfa.
Great tutorial!

Richard

No problem. Do I take it from that comment, that you managed to do the job
successfully ?

BTW, how did you arrive at the " Range Hood " moniker ... ?? Just
interested ...

Arfa