Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

Default capstan motor in reversed direction

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:51:06 +0000, range_hood
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hello there,

got a track recorder (tascam 488) with a dead capstan motor (mabuchi
EG-530KD-2B). Looked for replacement and contacted the service here in
Vienna - still waiting for response. In America they go for about 18 U$
on the official service departments, so I imagine here in europe they go
for more.

Over here the trade price is AU$9 (= 5.6 euro).

Looked on ebay and found the same motor (EG-530KD-2F) with just one
difference - the direction, it goes clockwise.The ebay price is €2,
including the shipping I could get two additional spare motors for the
same money the service would take.

My question: Will there be problems, if I just reverse the plus and
minus poles to drive this unit counter clock wise?

If it were that easy, then why would there be (F)orward and (B)ackward
versions of the same motor? Have you ever seen a left handed
screwdriver? ;-)

Joking aside, these motors use electronic speed control, so reversing
the supply could damage the built-in regulator. If your motor lends
itself to disassembly, then I suppose you could reverse the motor
wires at the regulator PCB. However, I suspect the motor's housing is
probably a "crimp" type.

Specs and dimensions
are the same.
It has 4 pins (A B + -), do I have to change A and B too?

A & B are used for setting the speeds in a dual speed machine. FYI,
yours is a 1600/3200 RPM motor.

Thanks in advance
Richard

See http://www.wagner.net.au/Catalogue/05_05.pdf