Eddy

Default Q: Capstan motor replacement on Yamaha Multitrack

I have a Yamaha MT8X multitrack deck, the capstan motor has failed.
The 12Vdc capstan servo motor drives a capstan drum with a belt, I
replaced the belt but the motor is really defective. I removed the
motor, applied 12Vdc to it and I have to spin the pulley with my
fingers to get it going, but it stops turning after few seconds. This
is a MMI-6H2LWK motor that turns at 3.75ips, I have in my possesion
what looks like a direct replacement a Mabuchi motor EG-530KD-2B the
specs show it turns at 1600/3200Rpm but don't know for sure if its a
direct replacement, does anyone know if it is? or could help me figure
it out?

Thanks for the help/suggestions
MarkC

It may be less time consuming to just order the original but if you know
what you're doing it's not going to hurt to put the replacement motor
in. Don't forget to write down what wires go where. Don't trust your
memory. Once you get it in if the tape speed is too fast or slow you can
try adjusting the capstan speed. This speed control is sometimes located
inside the motor accessible from the back of the motor through an access
hole (carefully use a small precision philips screwdriver). If it is not
inside the motor then it will be on the main board usually where the
motor's wires are soldered in. It wouldn't be a bad idea to also order a
service manual for it from Yamaha.
Mark

I have a Yamaha MT8X multitrack deck, the capstan motor has failed. The
12Vdc capstan servo motor drives a capstan drum with a belt, I replaced
the belt but the motor is really defective. I removed the motor, applied
12Vdc to it and I have to spin the pulley with my fingers to get it
going, but it stops turning after few seconds. This is a MMI-6H2LWK
motor that turns at 3.75ips, I have in my possesion what looks like a
direct replacement a Mabuchi motor EG-530KD-2B the specs show it turns
at 1600/3200Rpm but don't know for sure if its a direct replacement,
does anyone know if it is? or could help me figure it out?
Thanks for the help/suggestions

Eddy

(MarkC) wrote in message ...
[...]

I was quoted $72 for the replacement motor
I picked up a brand new Mabuchi at $4.95...see the irony here?
Yamaha may send me a Mabuchi motor just the same so why not take a few
minutes or days to figure if this motor is indeed a direct
replacement, it may infact be the same one Yamaha would send me.

the MMI-6H2LWK turns at 3.75ips
the Mabuchi turns at 1600/3200Rpm....they both have the same voltage
ratings
How to figure out if the speed is the same..? Anyone know how to
convert these two?
thanks again..
jakdedert

Put it in and see if the tape runs at the correct speed. There should be a
controller circuit adjustment if the speed is close, but not dead on. Some
motors have internal mechanical governors which are a pain to adjust, but
not impossible.

jak

"Eddy" wrote in message
m...
(MarkC) wrote in message

[...]

bg

If you have dial calipers or a micometer you can calculate the revolutions
per second needed.
RPS = IPS / Circumference
RPS = Revolutions per second or RPM/60
IPS = Inches per second
Circumference = 3.14 (pi) times diameter

The capstan flywheel and the capstan motor pulley provide an RPM stepdown.
Capstan pully diameter/ Flywheeel Diameter provides the ratio. for example
if the capstan pully is 1/6 the diameter of the flywheel, then the
lywheel( and capstan) rotates at 1/6th the RPM of the
capstan motor.
bg

Eddy wrote in message . ..
I have a Yamaha MT8X multitrack deck, the capstan motor has failed.
The 12Vdc capstan servo motor drives a capstan drum with a belt, I
replaced the belt but the motor is really defective. I removed the
motor, applied 12Vdc to it and I have to spin the pulley with my
fingers to get it going, but it stops turning after few seconds. This
is a MMI-6H2LWK motor that turns at 3.75ips, I have in my possesion
what looks like a direct replacement a Mabuchi motor EG-530KD-2B the
specs show it turns at 1600/3200Rpm but don't know for sure if its a
direct replacement, does anyone know if it is? or could help me figure
it out?

Thanks for the help/suggestions

Eddy

Eddy wrote in message . ..
I have a Yamaha MT8X multitrack deck, the capstan motor has failed.
The 12Vdc capstan servo motor drives a capstan drum with a belt, I
replaced the belt but the motor is really defective. I removed the
motor, applied 12Vdc to it and I have to spin the pulley with my
fingers to get it going, but it stops turning after few seconds. This
is a MMI-6H2LWK motor that turns at 3.75ips, I have in my possesion
what looks like a direct replacement a Mabuchi motor EG-530KD-2B the
specs show it turns at 1600/3200Rpm but don't know for sure if its a
direct replacement, does anyone know if it is? or could help me figure
it out?

Thanks for the help/suggestions

Bg,
I'll try to find calipers to measure the pulley and flywheel to find the ratio.
then it should be easy enough to figure it out
Thanks alot.