Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Stein-Olav Lund

Default capstan motor in reversed direction

Arfa Daily wrote:

"range_hood" wrote in message

Hello there,

got a track recorder (tascam 488) with a dead capstan motor (mabuchi
EG-530KD-2B). Looked for replacement and contacted the service here in
Vienna - still waiting for response. In America they go for about 18 U$
on the official service departments, so I imagine here in europe they go
for more.

Looked on ebay and found the same motor (EG-530KD-2F) with just one
difference - the direction, it goes clockwise.The ebay price is ?2,
including the shipping I could get two additional spare motors for the
same money the service would take.

My question: Will there be problems, if I just reverse the plus and
minus poles to drive this unit counter clock wise? Specs and dimensions
are the same.
It has 4 pins (A B + -), do I have to change A and B too?

Thanks in advance
Richard

--
range_hood

If this is the standard Mitsumi type motor, ( and looking at a picture of it
on the web, it is ) which has AB+ and - all on a small piece of PCB material
sticking out from the back of the motor, then the simple answer is no, you
cannot reverse the motor by simply reversing the + and - connections.

Inside the motor is an IC based speed governor circuit, which must have the
supply voltage connected the right way round to it. A and B go out to the hi
and lo speed adjustment circuit ( for normal and dub speeds ) which with
this type of motor, usually comprises externally mounted pots.

It / is / possible to reverse the direction of such motors, and I have done
it on many occasions when I have not had the correct direction in stock.
However, doing so involves prying off the motor rear cover, cutting the
print tracks to the actual motor pins, and rewiring the opposite way about
using thin rework wire. The governor circuit then continues to receive
correct polarity DC, whilst the polarity of the drive to the motor proper,
is reversed.

However, as far as I can see, this is an absolutely standard CCW 12v dual
speed cassette motor, and many general component suppliers stock generic
pattern replacements for these motor types.

Arfa

One other thing is the brushes are offset to make lower friction in the
direction of rotation.
If you reverse the rotation, the motor's brushes and commutator wear off
real fast---I have tried it!

Stein