TRABEM

Default Butterworth bandpass filter question

I am trying to scale an existing front end receiver (butterworth
bandpass) filter to a different frequency range. Unfortunately, it has
a transformer in the original design, so I'm stuck. I also don't know
how to handle the load presented by the active front end component
other than it's probably not significantly reactive.

The existing filter is for a 7 Mhz receiver, I'd like to have a
similar filter design for 50 to 200 Khz.

The filter components and transformer winding details are in the
document at:

http://www.amqrp.org/kits/softrock40...0Assy%20v1.pdf

The input chip is an FST3126, spec sheet is at:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FS/FST3126.pdf

The spec for the T30-2 transformer core is at:

http://partsandkits.com/T30-2.htm

I have aade filter design software, but it isn't allowing me to plug
in the transformer into the design page of the software....so, I need
to know it's equivalent circuit I think.

The transformer winding details are on page 4 of the document and the
schematic of the front end is page 9. Ultimately, I need new values
for L1, L2, C20, C21 and C22.

If someone can give me a reasonable guess as to the equivalent circuit
of the transformer and the IC (U5), I can do the rest of the job
myself using the aade filter software.

Thanks,

maxfoo

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:14:11 -0400, TRABEM wrote:
Get the free software program call RFsim99 lets you design buttrworth filters.

Reg Edwards

I am trying to scale an existing front end receiver (butterworth
bandpass) filter to a different frequency range.

=====================================

How do you know it is a Butterworth as distinct from other types?

TRABEM

A butterworth is a butterworth............in any discussion of the
butterworth filter, you will see this schematic.

Asking how I know it's a butterworth is a little like asking how I
know a car is a car.

However, I don't know it all.........perhaps it's closely related to a
butterworth, but called something else???

Let me know if I've made an error please.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 06:07:31 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

I am trying to scale an existing front end receiver (butterworth
bandpass) filter to a different frequency range.

=====================================

How do you know it is a Butterworth as distinct from other types?

Helmut Sennewald

TRABEM schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
A butterworth is a butterworth............in any discussion of the
butterworth filter, you will see this schematic.

Asking how I know it's a butterworth is a little like asking how I
know a car is a car.

However, I don't know it all.........perhaps it's closely related to a
butterworth, but called something else???

Let me know if I've made an error please.

Hello T,

a Bessel filter would have the same structure. The value of
the components define what filter type it is.

Bessel: max. flat group delay
Butterworth: max flat frequency response

You can also make a filter with this structure which is anything
between both types.

Best regards,
Helmut

TRABEM

a Bessel filter would have the same structure. The value of
the components define what filter type it is.

Bessel: max. flat group delay
Butterworth: max flat frequency response

Cool, didn't know that.

At VLF, the inductances are becoming quite large, requiring a toroid
core for even a simple inductor.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each type relative to
inductor size requirements?

Maybe I should be looking at a bessel instead of a butterworth.......

GL to all.

maxfoo

wrote:

I am trying to scale an existing front end receiver (butterworth
bandpass) filter to a different frequency range.

=====================================

How do you know it is a Butterworth as distinct from other types?

A Butterworth filter is a Chebyshev filter with No ripple in the passband.

Asimov

"TRABEM" bravely wrote to "All" (12 Sep 05 12:18:52)
--- on the heady topic of " Butterworth bandpass filter question"

I thought it was a turkey until I opened a filter cookbook...
Isn't it flat smooth response without overshoot as opposed to
Tchebychev with a little overshoot but faster risetime?
Bessel is something in between these?
Where do they find these names!!!

M*i*k*e

TR From: TRABEM
TR Subject: Butterworth bandpass filter question
TR Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.components:101732
TR sci.electronics.design:505281 sci.electronics.repair:341949

TR A butterworth is a butterworth............in any discussion of the
TR butterworth filter, you will see this schematic.

TR Asking how I know it's a butterworth is a little like asking how I
TR know a car is a car.

TR However, I don't know it all.........perhaps it's closely related to a
TR butterworth, but called something else???

TR Let me know if I've made an error please.

TR T

TR On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 06:07:31 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
TR wrote:

I am trying to scale an existing front end receiver (butterworth
bandpass) filter to a different frequency range.

=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d= 3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d =3d=3d=3d=3d

How do you know it is a Butterworth as distinct from other types?

.... If all else fails, hurl it across the room a few times!

sand filter problem. RT Home Repair 0 April 9th 05 02:25 AM
Water Filter Question Jenny Home Ownership 2 March 24th 05 07:21 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
York Furnace Filter (High velocity)? [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 17th 04 08:20 PM
Water filter attached to kitchen sink has slowed right down... interpro Home Repair 0 June 23rd 03 03:31 AM