Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jenny

Default Water Filter Question

Hi,

I noticed there are quite some scale build-ups in my kettle, so I think
I have hard water in the area where I current live.

So besides using water softner, is there any good water filter on the
market which can take care of hard water (calcium) problem? I am not
quite sure what those Reverse Osmosis systems do, are they able to take
care of this?

thanks,
Jenny

John A. Weeks III

In article .com,
"Jenny" wrote:

I noticed there are quite some scale build-ups in my kettle, so I think
I have hard water in the area where I current live.

So besides using water softner, is there any good water filter on the
market which can take care of hard water (calcium) problem? I am not
quite sure what those Reverse Osmosis systems do, are they able to take
care of this?

You might also have problems with acid or lack of acid in your
water. In those cases, you might need other types of water
treatment. One thing you could do is call one of the major
vendors in this space, and let them test your water for you.
Culligan and Commers will do this for you. Just be prepared
for a pretty complete sales pitch. Once you know what you
need, you can then figure out how to solve the problem.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Gary Slusser

"Jenny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I noticed there are quite some scale build-ups in my kettle, so I think
I have hard water in the area where I current live.

So besides using water softner, is there any good water filter on the
market which can take care of hard water (calcium) problem? I am not
quite sure what those Reverse Osmosis systems do, are they able to take
care of this?

thanks,
Jenny

An RO will work better without the hardness in the water but... an
undercounter RO will remove the hardness from your drinking and cooking
water but... The hardness in your water is harming your water heater, plus
it costs a bunch of money to heat hard water, any clothing laundered in hard
water wears out much faster than not and your water using appliances and
fixtures are harmed. So it would be much better to get a softener if the
hardness is over 3-4 gpg (grains/gallon).

BTW, there are disposable cartridge (filters) that contain cation ion
(softener) resin but... they can't soften much water and are fairly pricey.

--
Gary
Quality Water Associates

Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
A Puzzle - Iron and Yellow Colour in the Water Peter Martin Home Repair 51 July 27th 03 07:14 PM