Gary Slusser

"Jenny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I noticed there are quite some scale build-ups in my kettle, so I think
I have hard water in the area where I current live.

So besides using water softner, is there any good water filter on the
market which can take care of hard water (calcium) problem? I am not
quite sure what those Reverse Osmosis systems do, are they able to take
care of this?

thanks,
Jenny

An RO will work better without the hardness in the water but... an
undercounter RO will remove the hardness from your drinking and cooking
water but... The hardness in your water is harming your water heater, plus
it costs a bunch of money to heat hard water, any clothing laundered in hard
water wears out much faster than not and your water using appliances and
fixtures are harmed. So it would be much better to get a softener if the
hardness is over 3-4 gpg (grains/gallon).

BTW, there are disposable cartridge (filters) that contain cation ion
(softener) resin but... they can't soften much water and are fairly pricey.

--
Gary
Quality Water Associates