jbclem

Default Cleaning blue-green crud from battery area of scanner

I have a portable scanner, Regency HX 1500, that I haven't used for quite a while.
There is a lot of powdery blue-green stuff that covers the metal battery
connectors/tabs. I've cleaned it off with q-tips dipped in alcohol, but it always comes
back. I'm storing this scanner without the AA batteries it uses...is there a way to
permanently stop this blue-green and what exactly is it?

John

James Sweet

"jbclem" wrote in message
I have a portable scanner, Regency HX 1500, that I haven't used for quite

a while.
There is a lot of powdery blue-green stuff that covers the metal battery
connectors/tabs. I've cleaned it off with q-tips dipped in alcohol, but

it always comes
back. I'm storing this scanner without the AA batteries it uses...is

there a way to
permanently stop this blue-green and what exactly is it?

John

It's corrosion from traces of battery electrolyte. Clean it off with
vinegar, that'll react with the alkaline electrolyte and neutralize it. Then
wash it off with water and dry it out.

3T39

Hello, James!
You wrote on Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:24:42 GMT:

JS "jbclem" wrote in message
JS ...
?? I have a portable scanner, Regency HX 1500, that I haven't used for
?? quite
JS a while.
?? There is a lot of powdery blue-green stuff that covers the metal
?? battery connectors/tabs. I've cleaned it off with q-tips dipped in
?? alcohol, but
JS it always comes
?? back. I'm storing this scanner without the AA batteries it uses...is
JS there a way to
?? permanently stop this blue-green and what exactly is it?
??
?? John
??
It's corrosion from traces of battery electrolyte. Clean it off with
vinegar, that'll react with the alkaline electrolyte and neutralize it. Then
wash it off with water and dry it out.

As well as cleaning the area it would be a good idea to smear the terminals
and any other metal parts in the battery box with light grease to prevent
further deterioration. you don't have to clean the grease off to use the
scanner as it wont interfere with anything.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:

NSM

"jbclem" wrote in message

I have a portable scanner, Regency HX 1500, that I haven't used for quite

a while.
There is a lot of powdery blue-green stuff that covers the metal battery
connectors/tabs. I've cleaned it off with q-tips dipped in alcohol, but

it always comes
back. I'm storing this scanner without the AA batteries it uses...is

there a way to
permanently stop this blue-green and what exactly is it?

It's acid. Try warm water and baking soda to neutralize it.

jbclem

Thanks all for the answers. I tried vinegar on q-tips but that doesn't seem to get rid
of the blue-green...some came off but there's still plenty left. I'll try water and
baking soda next but I'm a bit worried about water seeping into the electronics...any
ideas for preventing that (I could hold the scanner upside down but that might be
awkward.

John

"NSM" wrote in message news:tE9Fe.145748$9A2.96922@edtnps89...

"jbclem" wrote in message

I have a portable scanner, Regency HX 1500, that I haven't used for quite

a while.
There is a lot of powdery blue-green stuff that covers the metal battery
connectors/tabs. I've cleaned it off with q-tips dipped in alcohol, but

it always comes
back. I'm storing this scanner without the AA batteries it uses...is

there a way to
permanently stop this blue-green and what exactly is it?

It's acid. Try warm water and baking soda to neutralize it.

NSM

"jbclem" wrote in message

Thanks all for the answers. I tried vinegar on q-tips but that doesn't

seem to get rid
of the blue-green...some came off but there's still plenty left. I'll try

water and
baking soda next but I'm a bit worried about water seeping into the

electronics...any
ideas for preventing that (I could hold the scanner upside down but that

might be
awkward.

I soaked an entire portable CD player in that solution - worked fine ever
since, but it helps to know what you are doing. Make up a paste of water and
baking soda and apply to 'crud'.

James Sweet

"jbclem" wrote in message
Thanks all for the answers. I tried vinegar on q-tips but that doesn't

seem to get rid
of the blue-green...some came off but there's still plenty left. I'll try

water and
baking soda next but I'm a bit worried about water seeping into the

electronics...any
ideas for preventing that (I could hold the scanner upside down but that

might be
awkward.

John

Don't use baking soda, it's not acid, it's a base.

jbclem

Well I've tried warm water and baking soda...it may be neutralized now, but it's still
blue-green. And there are small openings in the metal battery connections with the
blue-green down inside. Am I going to have to scrap this stuff out with an ice pick?
And a magnifying glass?

"jbclem" wrote in message

I have a portable scanner, Regency HX 1500, that I haven't used for quite

a while.
There is a lot of powdery blue-green stuff that covers the metal battery
connectors/tabs. I've cleaned it off with q-tips dipped in alcohol, but

it always comes
back. I'm storing this scanner without the AA batteries it uses...is

there a way to
permanently stop this blue-green and what exactly is it?

It's acid. Try warm water and baking soda to neutralize it.

NSM

"jbclem" wrote in message

Well I've tried warm water and baking soda...it may be neutralized now,

but it's still
blue-green. And there are small openings in the metal battery connections

with the
blue-green down inside. Am I going to have to scrap this stuff out with

an ice pick?
And a magnifying glass?

Could be. Or try WD-40 and leave it on for a bit.

James Sweet

"jbclem" wrote in message
Well I've tried warm water and baking soda...it may be neutralized now,

but it's still
blue-green. And there are small openings in the metal battery connections

with the
blue-green down inside. Am I going to have to scrap this stuff out with

an ice pick?
And a magnifying glass?

John

Vinegar will neutralize the battery fluid, but you'll still have to scrub
off the corrosion from it.

Jim Adney

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:54:24 -0700 "jbclem"
wrote:

Well I've tried warm water and baking soda...it may be neutralized now, but it's still
blue-green. And there are small openings in the metal battery connections with the
blue-green down inside. Am I going to have to scrap this stuff out with an ice pick?
And a magnifying glass?

The green is probably a copper oxide that formed when the battery
contents leaked on the contacts. You can try vinegar, but rinse it off
well and let it dry when done. It may take awhile but it will clean
metal corrosion up rather mildly.

I've used a dental pick to scrape those down to clean metal to get
good contact again.

I use a good grade of bearing grease to coat the contacts and battery
ends to prevent further corrosion. The grease contains corrosion
inhibitors and keeps the air/oxygen away from the parts. The contact
pressure will still push the metal parts together and allow electrical
contact.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA