3T39

Hello, James!
You wrote on Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:24:42 GMT:

JS "jbclem" wrote in message
JS ...
?? I have a portable scanner, Regency HX 1500, that I haven't used for
?? quite
JS a while.
?? There is a lot of powdery blue-green stuff that covers the metal
?? battery connectors/tabs. I've cleaned it off with q-tips dipped in
?? alcohol, but
JS it always comes
?? back. I'm storing this scanner without the AA batteries it uses...is
JS there a way to
?? permanently stop this blue-green and what exactly is it?
??
?? John
??
It's corrosion from traces of battery electrolyte. Clean it off with
vinegar, that'll react with the alkaline electrolyte and neutralize it. Then
wash it off with water and dry it out.

As well as cleaning the area it would be a good idea to smear the terminals
and any other metal parts in the battery box with light grease to prevent
further deterioration. you don't have to clean the grease off to use the
scanner as it wont interfere with anything.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: