Shaun B

Default Tv Blue area in corners

hello all , I have a flat screen TV at only a few years old and in the
corners are blue areas for every channel - I did some work experience at a
Tv and Video shop once and if I remember right something on someons Tv
happened the same , the tech. waved a rod in front of the screen to fix
it.....my question is what is the rod , its it worth buying one or making
one ?

thanks plp ....

Art

First see if there are any sources of magnetic field, speakers, amps, etc in
close proximity of the set. If so then move those items away form the set.
Switch the set off and leave it off for about 30 min. Then turn the set back
on allowing the degauss circuit to attempt de-magnetize the crt. See if this
cures the problem. Next you may need to have a tech come out and use a
commercial degaussing coil or rod to de-magnetize the set. Failing to do it
in this manner will mean opening the set up and diagnosing the actual cause,
be it a slipped shadow mask within the crt, or if the centering and purity
rings need readjusting.
"Shaun B" wrote in message
hello all , I have a flat screen TV at only a few years old and in the
corners are blue areas for every channel - I did some work experience at a
Tv and Video shop once and if I remember right something on someons Tv
happened the same , the tech. waved a rod in front of the screen to fix
it.....my question is what is the rod , its it worth buying one or making
one ?

thanks plp ....

Phil Bowser

First check the easy stuff... make sure no magnets (speakers are a
common source) near it like Art said.

Also some makes like Panasonic (might've helped if you posted the make
and model) have a feature in the customer menus called "Geomagnetic
correction". If somebody set this adjustment all the way to one end of its
range, it would produce the symptom you described.

Lastly, you may have a failure in the degaussing circuitry of the TV -
Panasonic has had solder connections and / or failures of their thermistors
that would cause failure of the set to properly degauss at turn-on.

Degaussing the set EXTERNALLY with a degaussing coil or rod is only a
temporary fix... The set should be able to do this for you automatically
each time it is turned on cold. I would recommend correcting the problem
rather than "waving the magic wand" over it, since that wil not permanently
cure it anyway.