Keith in NJ

Default older sony RPTV problem

this is my first post here but hopefully someone can point me in the right
direction or help out.

i just recently picked up a used sony KP53XBR200 53 inch rear projection tv.
it's visibly in very good condition and i tested it on-site and it seemed to
work without noticing any issues. we loaded as carefully as possible without
slamming it around, etc, into one of those home depot rental trucks and
stapped down very tightly for the 20 mile drive home.. not a very bumpy trip
at all.

i know these tvs are delicate so i did my best to be very careful.

we got it home and fired it up... the red gun is way out of alignment..
probably about 2-3 inches off. I opened up the tv and nothing is visibly
loose, etc. I cleaned out some cobwebs, cleaned the mirror, gun lenses and
inside of the screen (filthy!) and buttoned it all back up.

this tv has an 'auto focus' for convergence but no manual convergence i
could find. when i run the auto convergence it moves the red signal closer
to the center + but never converges it fully. the numerous times i've run it
i've gotten the following error codes... E12R, E17R, and E13R

after about 30 minutes of being left on last night on the red image seemed
to have some horizontal jitter in it. almost like some electronic noise or
interference and was wavering from 1-3 inches off convergence to the right.

strangely when i turned the tv off.. then back on again.. the picture was
clear as a bell with no convergence issues.

i left it on overnight and when i woke up it was still fine after about 6-8
hours. I turned it
off and went out for the day... came home about 4 hrs later and it's back to
a convergence
issue again.

i kept cycling power with no change and then out of nowhere the image
converged itself. an hour or so later.. while watching the TV the
convergence went off without warning and cycling power didn't seem to have
any effect.

i'm assuming convergence on this isn't a matter of physical positioning of
the guns but more a circuit board controlled thing. maybe the red board
needs replacing?

this is a longshot but does anyone have a service manual for this tv or an
idea of what could be causing the issue and what it will cost to have fixed?
also.. what should i look for when calling around for a service technician
if this is not something I can fix myself (i do have some technical ability
and not adverse to getting in there and swapping parts if possible.)

thanks!
keith.

Rono

Likely just bad solder connections at the convergence IC's. Rono.

Keith in NJ

i found this page

http://wa6ati.com/Sony-Projection.html

and it's showing some similar issues with a covergence IC (IC506) being the
culprit.. i'd assume this is possibly the one you're talking about.

without a schematic, anyone know where i could locate this chip? not sure if
it's on the crt yoke itself or somewhere else (on the mainboard?)

thanks.
k.

"Rono" wrote in message
Likely just bad solder connections at the convergence IC's. Rono.

Andy Cuffe

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:23:44 -0400, "Keith in NJ"
wrote:

i found this page

http://wa6ati.com/Sony-Projection.html

and it's showing some similar issues with a covergence IC (IC506) being the
culprit.. i'd assume this is possibly the one you're talking about.

without a schematic, anyone know where i could locate this chip? not sure if
it's on the crt yoke itself or somewhere else (on the mainboard?)

thanks.
k.

There should be two large ICs mounted on a big heat sink. The ICs
probably have a number that starts with STK. They are a common
problem with virtually all projection TVs.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Ouch My Back!

Keith in NJ wrote:
[...]

It is highly likely that one of the yokes on the red tube is loose, and
moved during the trip. Just look on the back end of the red tube and
see if there's anything loose, tighten the clamps again after aligning
the picture. Good luck.

yoke as in the yoke board on the back of the CRT?
i'll reach in there and see if it's loose. what is strange though is
that moving the unit or tapping the body of the CRT has no effect on
the picture which i would assume it would if it were loose.

question... i mess around with arcade machines and monitors so i have a
little experience with discharging monitors and staying clear of the
annode cap and wire, etc... but on this monster... what exactly am I
watching out for? i guess i could just trace the wires from the flyback
and steer clear from there.

also.. i located the 2 "stk" IC's on the heatsinks. they're held in
with 2 screws so i'm assuming they're socketed unless that's what holds
the heatsink to them.

1. where would I get replacements for these.
2. doesn't each gun have individual convergence circuitry?
3. where (if anywhere) can i find the service manual for this tv?

thanks for all the help so far. i'm confident i'll get this fixed.

k.

i'm assuming this is the IC you're referring to is this one...
IC STK392-020

i just found a source for it.. is $32.38 each from partstore.com a good
price / source for parts?

i guess i should replace both of these ICs?

is there any way to pinpoint an issue like this before simply swapping
out parts until it's resolved?

thanks.

thanks ken. i'm a pretty common sense, check the basics and go by
process of elimintation first kind of guy.

i have a couple of more physical things i want to check before I start
swapping ICs and such.

this morning before i left for work i took another look at the
mainboard just to see what's socketed and what's not... i see a few
boards in there I want to pull and reseat as well as some of the
connections.

before i can really see anything though, I'm going have to figure out a
way to get 4-5 years worth of dust off the board without simply blowing
it all over the place.

maybe one of those little vacuums with the brushes.

yeah.. before i order $70 worth of ICs i'm going to get in there and
check the basics again.

thanks.
k.

Keith in NJ

so i visually checked everything out tonight. then with the tv on i lightly
tapped a couple of the heat sinks and the red crt neck board, etc and there
was no visible change in the red convergence.

i'm going to call around to a few places tomorrow to get estimates on
repair... can anyone give me an idea what i might be looking at $$$ wise so
i don't get ripped off.

thanks.
keith.

"Keith in NJ" wrote in message
[...]

James Sweet

wrote in message
ups.com...
i'm assuming this is the IC you're referring to is this one...
IC STK392-020

i just found a source for it.. is $32.38 each from partstore.com a good
price / source for parts?

i guess i should replace both of these ICs?

is there any way to pinpoint an issue like this before simply swapping
out parts until it's resolved?

thanks.

Try resoldering the IC before you go throwing parts at it.

James Sweet

wrote in message
ups.com...
yoke as in the yoke board on the back of the CRT?
i'll reach in there and see if it's loose. what is strange though is
that moving the unit or tapping the body of the CRT has no effect on
the picture which i would assume it would if it were loose.

I think you mean the neck board, and no that's not the yoke, the yoke is the
coil of wires on the neck.

Keith in NJ

yeah. neck board.. sorry. i get the naming mixed up. coincidentally, i just
adjusted the convergence on my ms pac man machine last night.. what a pain..
i wish arcade monitors had a 'magic focus' button on them. lol.

k.

"James Sweet" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
yoke as in the yoke board on the back of the CRT?
i'll reach in there and see if it's loose. what is strange though is
that moving the unit or tapping the body of the CRT has no effect on
the picture which i would assume it would if it were loose.

I think you mean the neck board, and no that's not the yoke, the yoke is

the
coil of wires on the neck.

Ouch My Back!

yoke as in the yoke board on the back of the CRT?
i'll reach in there and see if it's loose. what is strange though is
that moving the unit or tapping the body of the CRT has no effect on
the picture which i would assume it would if it were loose.

There's a few devices that slide onto the tube like 3 rings on one
finger, These aim the picture via magnetic means to their precise
landing on the screen, the convervence IC's taylor the signal to
control exactly where the picture lands. There's a small magnetic ring
assembly, a convergence yoke, and a main yoke, The yokes are windings
of copper wire on an iron frame. They are secured with something
similar to hose clamps about midway of the CRT tube. They would be
installed by removing the crt board at the end, and sliding them onto
the glass crt tube like a ring, they should not turn easily, often
times the heat from the crt will cause plastic to get brittle and crack
which will happen when moved. There could be bad solder connections at
the convergence IC's also which would cause identical trouble. I kind
of disagree that moving a set would cause the convergence IC's to fail,
unless they failed as a result of a bad connection which was caused by
the move. I would check the connections on them. Their failure is
common though and would not be surprising. the other suffixes w/ a
higher number are higher rated. ~010= crummiest ~030= best. I found
them on ebay. and google provided spec sheets

question... i mess around with arcade machines and monitors so i have a
little experience with discharging monitors and staying clear of the
annode cap and wire, etc... but on this monster... what exactly am I
watching out for? i guess i could just trace the wires from the flyback
and steer clear from there.

also.. i located the 2 "stk" IC's on the heatsinks. they're held in
with 2 screws so i'm assuming they're socketed unless that's what holds
the heatsink to them.

1. where would I get replacements for these.
2. doesn't each gun have individual convergence circuitry?
3. where (if anywhere) can i find the service manual for this tv?

thanks for all the help so far. i'm confident i'll get this fixed.

k.

by suffix i'm assuming your referring to the last 2 numbers on the
convergence ICs...
IC STK392-020 in this case "20".

another question is.. if there's 3 guns.... there's only 2 convergence
ICs.

actually.. i thought about this.. on a regular CRT.. green is the
center and red an blue converge on that.. is rear projection similar?

and if so... i'm assuming 1 IC controls red and the other controls
blue.

that being said.. is there any way to tell which is the RED convergence
IC? or am i completely incorrect in my assumption.

thx.
keith

Keith in NJ

woohoo! success.
ordered 2 new convergence ICs thursday from east coast transistor... ($8.95
each on ebay) look like OEM (listed as sanyo) and after a LOT of sweating
over the board laying on my stomach because i was afraid to pull the fat red
flyback cable... (it seemed like it was soldered or something in there
because i pulled HARD on it and it didn't budge).

i managed to get the 2 chips desoldered off the board and the new chips back
on... new heat sink compound and a pretty decent solder job if i don't say
so myself. (first time i've done any PCB/IC work). put it all back together
and BAM! (not literally) but BAM... perfect picture.. only maybe 1/8 inch
out of convergence.. ran the auto focus and it was dead on!

really excited since i only paid $300 for the tv and about $30 for the chips
(with next day shipping).

thanks everyone for the help!

k.