Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Keith in NJ

Default older sony RPTV problem

this is my first post here but hopefully someone can point me in the right
direction or help out.

i just recently picked up a used sony KP53XBR200 53 inch rear projection tv.
it's visibly in very good condition and i tested it on-site and it seemed to
work without noticing any issues. we loaded as carefully as possible without
slamming it around, etc, into one of those home depot rental trucks and
stapped down very tightly for the 20 mile drive home.. not a very bumpy trip
at all.

i know these tvs are delicate so i did my best to be very careful.

we got it home and fired it up... the red gun is way out of alignment..
probably about 2-3 inches off. I opened up the tv and nothing is visibly
loose, etc. I cleaned out some cobwebs, cleaned the mirror, gun lenses and
inside of the screen (filthy!) and buttoned it all back up.

this tv has an 'auto focus' for convergence but no manual convergence i
could find. when i run the auto convergence it moves the red signal closer
to the center + but never converges it fully. the numerous times i've run it
i've gotten the following error codes... E12R, E17R, and E13R

after about 30 minutes of being left on last night on the red image seemed
to have some horizontal jitter in it. almost like some electronic noise or
interference and was wavering from 1-3 inches off convergence to the right.

strangely when i turned the tv off.. then back on again.. the picture was
clear as a bell with no convergence issues.

i left it on overnight and when i woke up it was still fine after about 6-8
hours. I turned it
off and went out for the day... came home about 4 hrs later and it's back to
a convergence
issue again.

i kept cycling power with no change and then out of nowhere the image
converged itself. an hour or so later.. while watching the TV the
convergence went off without warning and cycling power didn't seem to have
any effect.

i'm assuming convergence on this isn't a matter of physical positioning of
the guns but more a circuit board controlled thing. maybe the red board
needs replacing?

this is a longshot but does anyone have a service manual for this tv or an
idea of what could be causing the issue and what it will cost to have fixed?
also.. what should i look for when calling around for a service technician
if this is not something I can fix myself (i do have some technical ability
and not adverse to getting in there and swapping parts if possible.)

thanks!
keith.