The Man

Default SONY Watchman FDL-3500 LCD video problem

Hi All.

My mom gave me a Sony Watchman color tv with an LCD color display.
When I turn on the set and press the button for video, it displays
video, but only on half of the display (more like 45% of the display
is messed). Here is a description of the problem:

Device displays signal, but the bottom 55% is normal signal (or video
if on the video input mode) but the top 45% is streched, as if a
single line of video is stretched over the remaining 45% of screen.

In video input mode the effect is similar except there is no snow,
only blue screen on the bottom 55% and stretched pattern on the top
45%.

Additionally, I noticed that when I adjust the volume when in video
input mode, the OSD at the bottom displays the volume bar, but the
top 45% of the screen is affected in such a manner that the stretched
pattern darkens with each tick to the right of the volume bar, i.e.
when the volume is a full off, the stretched pattern looks stretched,
but as the volume is adjusted, a dark column the width of the volume
unit in the volume bar appears in the top 45% of the screen.

I have looked for burned, leaky or otherwise messed up components. I
found none. Since the same problem occurs on both modes, I do not
think the problem is in the TV subsystem.

So, here I am asking for help and/or oopinions as to what to look for.

Barring that, does anyone have any suggestions as to what interesting
things I could do with this, e.g. remove the TV subsytem and make some
sort of head mounted display or something

Thanks,

The Man.
Jerry G.

You, or even the average service centre will not be able to service this
set. There may be a fault with the display panel, an interconnect harness,
and or the display processor. The service tech would change the defective
circuit board to service your set. In these sets, they do very little
circuit board service at the component level.

You will have to send the set to the Sony service centre to have it properly
repaired. If you send it out to the average service centre, they will have
to send out, unless they are equipped, and trained to service this type of
set.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"The Man" wrote in message
[...]

The Man

Thanks Jerry. So I guess the unit is toast then as I am not spending
the money to have it repaired. I would rather tinker with the parts
anyhow. So, if I am going to do that, then it's no holds barred on
finding out what's wrong hehe.