Default HELP! The EX took everything but my SONY TV and now it's screwing me too!

Okay,

I have a Sony KV36XBR200 WEGA (1999 model) that's been a great TV
until a few weeks ago when the picture began flashing on and off every
few seconds. There is no identifiable "blink code." When I turn on the
TV, I've seen the LED flash anywhere from 11 to 18 times before the
picture comes on. Until the set warms up, the picture blinks on and
off continuously. But it gets better as it stays on longer...

I called a repair shop and they came out to look at it. I spent $135
for nothing. The dweeb was mucking around in service mode with the
GCUT setting (turned it to 0) and the picture stopped flashing. So he
concluded that must be the problem and "that'll be $135 please." Well,
he also said that it must be a weak CRT and it would need to be
replaced (estimate was $1400!). Anyway, I called them back when I
discovered that it had nothing to do with GCUT at all. It was just
that the TV warmed up to where it wanted to be and happened to stop
flashing while he was looking at GCUT. So they're going to come back
out to reset GCUT and give me some green back at least. But that's not
going to solve the flashing problem!

Could it really be a weak tube? If so, is there anything I can do to
extend its life a little while (I'm still recovering from the expenses
of the marriage going south). I read somewhere that turning the screen
voltage up might solve the problem temporarily. If the tube is shot,
then that may at least buy me some time. But, I am wondering if
something else may be causing this that could save me a lot of money
on a new TV.

Any advice or helpful tips anyone can give would be appreciated. I
have the back cover off of it, but have no idea how to adjust screen
voltage if that is recommended (and I'm not about to pay the same guy
to do it. I figure he should have done it when he was here last time-
or at least known more than he apparantly does).

Thanks!

Yes, it could really be a weak picture tube causing the flashing. Do a
google groups search for Sony, flashing picture, blinking picture, akb
blanking, and similar for lots of postings on how the Sony AKB circuit
works.

Some internal adjustments on the main grid bias voltages might buy you
some time. Best to only call a Sony authorized and trained servicer,
or known experienced independent servicer, and only after getting other
recommendations and referenced.

wrote:
[...]

James Sweet

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, it could really be a weak picture tube causing the flashing. Do a
google groups search for Sony, flashing picture, blinking picture, akb
blanking, and similar for lots of postings on how the Sony AKB circuit
works.

Some internal adjustments on the main grid bias voltages might buy you
some time. Best to only call a Sony authorized and trained servicer,
or known experienced independent servicer, and only after getting other
recommendations and referenced.

A weak tube on a 1999 set? I'm curious how many hours a day this thing was
used.

6.5 hours per day 365 days a year is average in a US household.
I remember seeing RCA sets with the warranty clock come in with an
average of 14+ hours per day on time, some with more!!!! Most of those
had been run at the default picture setting levels in the user menu,
you know the torch setting.

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...
6.5 hours per day 365 days a year is average in a US household.
I remember seeing RCA sets with the warranty clock come in with an
average of 14+ hours per day on time, some with more!!!! Most of those
had been run at the default picture setting levels in the user menu,
you know the torch setting.

I've got a little RCA 19" (labelled as Penney's) which I bought in '81 and
which still runs OK. I've tweaked the guns a couple of times and the pots
are a bit noisy now. I have a similar Radio Shack TV bought a few years
later which also runs fine. Unfortunately the 28" RCA I bought about the
same time was one with the crappy steel rivets instead of plated through
holes and the tuner only works if I force it to one side with a stick!

And those 1981 tv sets were not designed to run the guns nearly as hot
or with as high or output. Look how much brighter tv sets get today.
Add the smaller gun assemblies, and the planned design life of ~20,000
hours, ~7 years 'normal' use, and one can see why the newer tv sets
tubes do not seem to last as long.

People also did not watch nearly as much tv in the 1980s as they do
today. Most people did not have cable. Most people received maybe 5
stations at the most, nbc,cbs,abc,pbs, and an independent. Those would
commonly go off the air at 11pm or midnight.

I appreciate the comments, but does anyone think it could adjust the
screen voltage to get just a little more life outta the thing? At this
point, seems it wouldn't hurt to try. Next question, how would one go
about doing that without frying themselves? I don't have a service
manual or training on Sony's (or any other TV for that matter). But I
can spell CRT, so figure that I can make a minor adjustment if pointed
in the right direction.

Thanks
kip

The board that is attached to the end of the CRT ..
There you will see a little pot with a black shaft thats the adjustment .

kip

Beware it can bite ya
wrote in message
I appreciate the comments, but does anyone think it could adjust the
screen voltage to get just a little more life outta the thing? At this
point, seems it wouldn't hurt to try. Next question, how would one go
about doing that without frying themselves? I don't have a service
manual or training on Sony's (or any other TV for that matter). But I
can spell CRT, so figure that I can make a minor adjustment if pointed
in the right direction.

Thanks

dr. foomanchew

$135 repair for nothing? what did you pay him for?
best way to get a tv, a moving sale or yardsale. got 27 and 20 inch color
tv`s both working great, $50 for both at a moving sale.
why buy new or repair?

news

On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:49:47 -0400, "kip" wrote:

The board that is attached to the end of the CRT ..
There you will see a little pot with a black shaft thats the adjustment .

kip

Thanks Kip.

I believe I found what you're talking about. being electronically
challenged I understand "pot" to be a potentiometer, and on the board
at the end of the CRT, I found a little black box housing that had a
little adjustment screw that I think fit the bill. It was the only
thing it could be actually... I tried adjusting it (turning it both
left and to the right) by very (very) small increments at a time. I
kept doing this until I had reached the limits both ways (about half a
turn on a phillips head). But I saw no change in the picture. Turning
to the right, I may have noticed the picture bleeding some (text
looked shadowy- but it may have been the way I was looking around the
set from the back).

I guess I have no choice but to write this one off and find another
set... "The Big Screen Store" in Fredericksburg just sent me a flyer
on their "Private Memorial Day Sale." Guess I'll pay them a visit
today or tomorrow. They're offering no money down and no interest for
2 years on any Mitsubishi Plasma or DLP HDTV or $1000 off the Sony XBR
70" HDTV ;-)

Should I just send this old one to the Dump? Or should I try
contacting someone that may have a use for salvagable parts?

Thanks again

You have the wrong control, that is the H-stat control which adjust the
left-right convergence landing of the red and blue guns. You will need
to put up a stable text pattern on a dark background to readjust this
back where it was if you did not mark it before moving it.

The control is clearly marked screen or G2 that you need. It may be on
the back of the flyback, or on the crt pcb (towards the front or rear).
In any case the tech that came out should have known exactly what to
do to troubleshoot the issue. Sound like you really had someone with
little Sony experience.

NSM

wrote in message

I guess I have no choice but to write this one off and find another
set... "The Big Screen Store" in Fredericksburg just sent me a flyer
on their "Private Memorial Day Sale." Guess I'll pay them a visit
today or tomorrow. They're offering no money down and no interest for
2 years on any Mitsubishi Plasma or DLP HDTV or $1000 off the Sony XBR
70" HDTV ;-)

Should I just send this old one to the Dump? Or should I try
contacting someone that may have a use for salvagable parts?

Try http://FreeCycle.org to dispose of yours AND get a replacement.

James Sweet

People also did not watch nearly as much tv in the 1980s as they do
today. Most people did not have cable. Most people received maybe 5
stations at the most, nbc,cbs,abc,pbs, and an independent. Those would
commonly go off the air at 11pm or midnight.

Hey I'd forgotten about that, I remember when I was a little kid a few times
when the TV station was just a test pattern with a tone early in the
morning. Don't even know when they stopped doing that.

James Sweet

"dr. foomanchew" wrote in message
$135 repair for nothing? what did you pay him for?
best way to get a tv, a moving sale or yardsale. got 27 and 20 inch color
tv`s both working great, $50 for both at a moving sale.
why buy new or repair?

Why repair? How about to keep a useable set out of the landfill? Or to learn
something?

PainintheAmp

Thats SCARY aint it????