bigmike

Default Sony G500 Monitor Repair

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
I need some advice. My Sony G500 monitor has developed a problem in
the last two months. Although the picture is still very sharp and
clear, it seems to have developed a contrast/brightness problem. I
first noticed a red tint to images displayed and the monitor doesn't
seem to be able to display "black". Black displays as a dark red.
I've been thru the manual and tried adjusting everything possible with
no luck what so ever. I called Sony and they walked me thru
(basically) the same steps. Again, no success at improving the
picture.

Only option at this point is to send the monitor into Sony for repair.
With my luck the warrantee was one week expired so I'll have to pay
Sony's flat rate for repair: $260 (includes shipping both ways).
Which I feel would be worth paying to restore the monitor. Only
glitch is that Sony excludes replacing the CRT. That (if it's needed)
will be extra. The Sony reprehensive warned me that if the CRT needs
replacing it would be cheaper to buy a new monitor rather than repair
this one. Sony can't advise me on whether the tube will need
replacing until I send in the monitor.

Can anyone advise me on whether or not the problem I'm seeing is a
symptom of the CTR or is this a symptom of the electronics driving the
tube?

Has anyone had any similar experiences getting Sony monitors repaired
which were out of warrantee?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, as this is a fair amount of
money to spend.

Thanks!

It could be either the tube, or in the RGB circuitry. 260 flat rate huh?
Good grief. By the way, I did a search on that Sony model, and you can still
buy it new for $249.00. Life is strange. Here's the link if you want to
check it out:
http://tomshardware.bizrate.com/,mss...4117,rf--wgg,t
itle--Sony%20G500.html

Sony DVD JILLIAN RICHMOND Electronics 0 May 2nd 04 09:27 PM
Sony CDP-CX255 200 CD changer problems Zev Berkovich Electronics Repair 3 July 27th 03 02:08 AM
Lightening/cable surge = Sony TV problem David Electronics Repair 3 July 18th 03 06:27 AM
problems getting cable channels on a sony tv Sofie Electronics Repair 10 July 18th 03 03:03 AM
Sony G410R Monitor problem (and bad Sony support) Steeve M Electronics Repair 7 July 15th 03 12:24 AM