Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

Default So rare a pinheader?

So I'm looking for a pinheader that matches with the connector on the
pictures. There are zillions of look-alikes but by far the most of them have
a 2.54mm pitch. This one has a 2mm pitch. Looked at Farnell and several
other distributers as well, but no joy. No trace of a typenumber or
manufacturer id on the connector. Anyone recognizes this virtual rare thing?
It is said to be used in some Yamaha product but so far I'm not sure about
that.

petrus bitbyter

Attached Thumbnails
So rare a pinheader?-rcon1-jpg  So rare a pinheader?-rcon2-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:21:04 +0200, "petrus bitbyter"
wrote:

So I'm looking for a pinheader that matches with the connector on the
pictures. There are zillions of look-alikes but by far the most of them have
a 2.54mm pitch. This one has a 2mm pitch. Looked at Farnell and several
other distributers as well, but no joy. No trace of a typenumber or
manufacturer id on the connector. Anyone recognizes this virtual rare thing?
It is said to be used in some Yamaha product but so far I'm not sure about
that.

It's a JST PH-series (or clone thereof). Pretty widely carried (once you
know which one to look for; there ARE a lot of connectors out there!)

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=199

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

The crimp connectors are a PITA!
I've had to do some specials in the past and blanched at the cost of
purchased tooling. Sometimes you get lucky and can solder the wires to
connectors. Tin the wire, put a dash of solder paste in the connector and
reflow.

Anybody know if generic tooling is available?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:54:07 -0400, "Oppie" wrote:

The crimp connectors are a PITA!

---
I very firmly disagree.

When I started out in this business as a cable tech, building cables
using MIL-C-5015 connectors (Cannon Plugs) with solder cup pins and
sockets, I had to know how to strip and tin wires, how to load the
cups by excluding air and using just enough solder to keep them from
boiling or running over during soldering, and how to solder the wire
into the cup while holding on to the wire, without moving it, so that
when the joint cooled it was nice and shiny regardless of whether my
fingers got burned or not.

Nowadays, all that's required is that the wire be stripped using a
calibrated stripper, then inserted into a contact, and the contact
squeezed properly until a gas-tight seal is made.

Not a PITA at all, as far as I can tell, but just an easy procedure
guaranteed to make any cretin able to make world-class joints.

---
I've had to do some specials in the past and blanched at the cost of
purchased tooling. Sometimes you get lucky and can solder the wires to
connectors. Tin the wire, put a dash of solder paste in the connector and
reflow.

---
Surely a recipe for disaster since, if a terminal is designed to be
crimped around a wire, soldering is, if not anathema, a poor second
choice.

Tell me what airlines you've worked for and I'll avoid them.
---

Anybody know if generic tooling is available?

---
Sure, they're called "pliers"

--
JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:54:07 -0400, "Oppie" wrote:

The crimp connectors are a PITA!
I've had to do some specials in the past and blanched at the cost of
purchased tooling. Sometimes you get lucky and can solder the wires to
connectors. Tin the wire, put a dash of solder paste in the connector and
reflow.

Anybody know if generic tooling is available?

The Aven Tools 10140 (Digikey AV4999-ND but most of the other usual
places) works pretty well for a non-ratchet crimper on these small guys.
Not for quantity production runs but it does a sweet job for
prototyping.

I'd love to find a set of dies that fit, say, the inexpensive Eclipse
ratchet frame but until then, this'll do...

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA