Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rare wood finishing

The store that I was at today dealt with specialty woods. So it begs the
question in mind, what finish to do you put on rare woods generally
speaking? For example they had lots and lots of zebrawood, and two huge
slabs of Bubinga - rough cut with bark on them, along with some Bolivian
Rosewood and Mango. I can't see anyone staining wood like that, so is it
generally a simple varnish or wax as the finish?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
The store that I was at today dealt with specialty woods. So it begs the
question in mind, what finish to do you put on rare woods generally
speaking? For example they had lots and lots of zebrawood, and two huge
slabs of Bubinga - rough cut with bark on them, along with some Bolivian
Rosewood and Mango. I can't see anyone staining wood like that, so is it
generally a simple varnish or wax as the finish?

Clear finish of some kind. I put tung oil on bubinga with spectacular
results.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

what finish to do you put on rare woods generally speaking? For
example they had lots and lots of zebrawood, and two huge slabs
of Bubinga - rough cut with bark on them, along with some Bolivian
Rosewood and Mango. I can't see anyone staining wood like that,
so is it generally a simple varnish or wax as the finish?

Bubinga is popular for recorder makers, and you'd just oil it
for that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
what finish to do you put on rare woods generally speaking? For
example they had lots and lots of zebrawood, and two huge slabs
of Bubinga - rough cut with bark on them, along with some Bolivian
Rosewood and Mango. I can't see anyone staining wood like that,
so is it generally a simple varnish or wax as the finish?

Bubinga is popular for recorder makers, and you'd just oil it
for that.

So it sounds like from yours and the previous poster that rare woods get oil
or clear finishes. Generally speaking that is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leuf" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:45:55 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

The store that I was at today dealt with specialty woods. So it begs the
question in mind, what finish to do you put on rare woods generally
speaking? For example they had lots and lots of zebrawood, and two huge
slabs of Bubinga - rough cut with bark on them, along with some Bolivian
Rosewood and Mango. I can't see anyone staining wood like that, so is it
generally a simple varnish or wax as the finish?

We paint them yellow.

-Leuf

It's your wood, you can do whatever you want to it. Besides, there are
other reasons to obtain a rare wood besides suface finish - sound quality,
structure, durability, strength.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
what finish to do you put on rare woods generally speaking? For
example they had lots and lots of zebrawood, and two huge slabs
of Bubinga - rough cut with bark on them, along with some Bolivian
Rosewood and Mango. I can't see anyone staining wood like that,
so is it generally a simple varnish or wax as the finish?

Bubinga is popular for recorder makers, and you'd just oil it
for that.

So it sounds like from yours and the previous poster that rare woods get
oil or clear finishes. Generally speaking that is.

My wife made me stain a mahogany coffee table so it would match a desk her
greatgrandfather built.
Now she wants a mahogany couch to match the table; I should have written
down what I did.

Normally you treat tropical woods are lightly as possible. Some oil if they
don't need protection; some varnish if they do.
But that's true for most woods; only wood I routinely stain is red oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:
"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in
message ...
what finish to do you put on rare woods generally speaking? For
example they had lots and lots of zebrawood, and two huge slabs
of Bubinga - rough cut with bark on them, along with some Bolivian
Rosewood and Mango. I can't see anyone staining wood like that,
so is it generally a simple varnish or wax as the finish?

Bubinga is popular for recorder makers, and you'd just oil it
for that.

So it sounds like from yours and the previous poster that rare woods
get oil or clear finishes. Generally speaking that is.

Some of the really hard tropicals will take a high polish with no
finish at all. You have to tailor the finish to the particular species
and the requirements of the piece.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)