Posted to rec.woodworking
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Rare wood finishing

"Leuf" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:45:55 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

The store that I was at today dealt with specialty woods. So it begs the
question in mind, what finish to do you put on rare woods generally
speaking? For example they had lots and lots of zebrawood, and two huge
slabs of Bubinga - rough cut with bark on them, along with some Bolivian
Rosewood and Mango. I can't see anyone staining wood like that, so is it
generally a simple varnish or wax as the finish?

We paint them yellow.

-Leuf

It's your wood, you can do whatever you want to it. Besides, there are
other reasons to obtain a rare wood besides suface finish - sound quality,
structure, durability, strength.