David Hakala

Default Ah, here's some rare wood for sale!

" I was out in my garage, cutting some molding for a project, thinking about
all my problems. Although I don't regularly attend church services and
haven't prayed in years, just this once I said a silent prayer. I prayed for
my mother, I prayed for my grandfather, I prayed for my financial recovery
and I prayed for John Paul II. At the moment I finished my prayer, I felt a
surge of great peace, reassurance and solace, something I've never felt
before. I thought nothing of it at first but looked down at the piece of
wood I was cutting and was taken aback, literally shocked by the image I
saw. It was the unmistakable image of Jesus Christ with his hands folded in
prayer! "

And his problems went away. So can yours. ;-)

Actually, it's not a bad piece of wood for a buck!

toller

I didn't know he wore glasses! This changes everything.

Lee DeRaud

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 00:36:05 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I didn't know he wore glasses! This changes everything.

And a plaid flannel shirt.

Oh wait, that's Norm...never mind.

Lee
John

Starting date should have been April 1.

Dukester

"toller" wrote in message
I didn't know he wore glasses! This changes everything.

Looks like Lennon to me.

Charlie Self

David Hakala posts:

thought nothing of it at first but looked down at the piece of

wood I was cutting and was taken aback, literally shocked by the image
saw. It was the unmistakable image of Jesus Christ with his hands
folded in
prayer! "

And his problems went away. So can yours. ;-)

Sure. But it looks a bit more like Jimi Hendrix to me.

Markndawoods wrote:
I am still amazed at how anybody knows what JC was supposed to look

like?
Was Kodak around back then?

NO back then they had The faithful like "Brother Dominick" with Picture
perfect memory who would scribe the Picture on Papyrus. Those were
Kodack (Monk) Moments.

See, I really think that was an image of Judas, and he duped him too!

[...]

toller

"Markndawoods" wrote in message
I am still amazed at how anybody knows what JC was supposed to look like?
Was Kodak around back then?

"Supposedly" the common conception of what Jesus looked like is based on the
shroud of Turin, before it was lost for 1,000 years.
I don't really buy either the S/T or the conception (though this piece of
wood is probably authentic), but who knows....

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:33:27 -0700, "Markndawoods"
wrote:

I am still amazed at how anybody knows what JC was supposed to look like?

The common impression of Jesus is based on cheap Victorian
chromolithographs in Sunday School bibles. Holman Hunt's "Light of the
World" being perhaps the most famous example of the genre.

Basically a European, white male hippy. They wouldn't look out of
place in a Grateful dead T-shirt.

Hax Planks

toller says...

"Markndawoods" wrote in message
I am still amazed at how anybody knows what JC was supposed to look like?
Was Kodak around back then?

"Supposedly" the common conception of what Jesus looked like is based on the
shroud of Turin, before it was lost for 1,000 years.
I don't really buy either the S/T or the conception (though this piece of
wood is probably authentic), but who knows....

The shroud of Turin is known to be a fake. The common image of Jesus
was heavily influenced by ancient sculptures of Zeus (Jupiter). The
Renaissance painters like DaVinci were surrounded by these images.
Still, the images may not be as far off as history debunkers claim. He
probably had brown eyes and a shade darker complexion, but Jesus was an
ancient Jew, not a modern Arab, and probably not very different from a
Greek or Roman.
Hax Planks

David Hakala says...

" I was out in my garage, cutting some molding for a project, thinking about
all my problems. Although I don't regularly attend church services and
haven't prayed in years, just this once I said a silent prayer. I prayed for
my mother, I prayed for my grandfather, I prayed for my financial recovery
and I prayed for John Paul II. At the moment I finished my prayer, I felt a
surge of great peace, reassurance and solace, something I've never felt
before. I thought nothing of it at first but looked down at the piece of
wood I was cutting and was taken aback, literally shocked by the image I
saw. It was the unmistakable image of Jesus Christ with his hands folded in
prayer! "

And his problems went away. So can yours. ;-)

Actually, it's not a bad piece of wood for a buck!

I thought it looked like the Grim Reaper.
Charles Krug

wrote:

I am still amazed at how anybody knows what JC was supposed to look like?

The common impression of Jesus is based on cheap Victorian
chromolithographs in Sunday School bibles. Holman Hunt's "Light of the
World" being perhaps the most famous example of the genre.

Basically a European, white male hippy. They wouldn't look out of
place in a Grateful dead T-shirt.

Amazing that a First Century Jew would look so UNLIKE present-day
Sephardic Jews or anyone else who's lived in the Middle East in the
previous thousand years or so.

Charlie Self

Hax Planks says:
I thought it looked like the Grim Reaper.

Well, didn't he come to tell us, basically, "Your ass is grass and my
daddy's the lawn mower"?

A little like one of my Parris Island drill instructors, but he assumed
both roles.

Hax Planks

Charlie Self says...

Well, didn't he come to tell us, basically, "Your ass is grass and my
daddy's the lawn mower"?

A little like one of my Parris Island drill instructors, but he assumed
both roles.

Was his name Sgt. Hartman? Man, that movie was a classic.

Charlie Self

Hax Planks asks:
Well, didn't he come to tell us, basically, "Your ass is grass and

my
daddy's the lawn mower"?

A little like one of my Parris Island drill instructors, but he

assumed
both roles.

Was his name Sgt. Hartman? Man, that movie was a classic.

Believe it or not, his name was Judy, Jim, IIRC. I'm too lazy to go
upstairs and check the graduation book.

Lobby Dosser

"Charlie Self" wrote:

Hax Planks asks:
Well, didn't he come to tell us, basically, "Your ass is grass and

my
daddy's the lawn mower"?

A little like one of my Parris Island drill instructors, but he

assumed
both roles.

Was his name Sgt. Hartman? Man, that movie was a classic.

Believe it or not, his name was Judy, Jim, IIRC. I'm too lazy to go
upstairs and check the graduation book.

I'd bet nobody even Grinned.
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
David Hakala wrote:

" I was out in my garage, cutting some molding for a project, thinking about
all my problems. Although I don't regularly attend church services and
haven't prayed in years, just this once I said a silent prayer. I prayed for
my mother, I prayed for my grandfather, I prayed for my financial recovery
and I prayed for John Paul II. At the moment I finished my prayer, I felt a
surge of great peace, reassurance and solace, something I've never felt
before. I thought nothing of it at first but looked down at the piece of
wood I was cutting and was taken aback, literally shocked by the image I
saw. It was the unmistakable image of Jesus Christ with his hands folded in
prayer! "

He's not sharing...

Funny. I can see a face if I work at it, but it sure doesn't look
Jewish to me...

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/
Markndawoods

Perhaps.

However, if one professes to accept scripture as Gods word, then one would
have to consider he was perfect, without flaw.

Therefore, he would not look feeble, sickly or emancipated. The images
individuals put forth of Jesus in now way fit scripture.

But then again, if you do not profess to believe the Bible is Gods word,
well, this is all mute and he is probably depicted just as you would have
him.

"Hax Planks" wrote in message
. net...
toller says...

[...]

Hax Planks

Markndawoods says...

Perhaps.

However, if one professes to accept scripture as Gods word, then one would
have to consider he was perfect, without flaw.

Therefore, he would not look feeble, sickly or emancipated. The images
individuals put forth of Jesus in now way fit scripture.

But then again, if you do not profess to believe the Bible is Gods word,
well, this is all mute and he is probably depicted just as you would have
him.

I don't accept scripture as anything of the kind. Sorry if that offends
anyone. But I think you should brush up on religious dogma. According
to what I remember, the story goes that Jesus was put here for a short
life of trials and hardship. Looking pretty wasn't on the agenda.

Glen

Markndawoods wrote:
Perhaps.

However, if one professes to accept scripture as Gods word, then one would
have to consider he was perfect, without flaw.

Therefore, he would not look feeble, sickly or emancipated. The images
individuals put forth of Jesus in now way fit scripture.

But then again, if you do not profess to believe the Bible is Gods word,
well, this is all mute and he is probably depicted just as you would have
him.

snip
He was a carpinter in the age before power tools. He would probably be
very muscular from working all those hand tools.

Glen
G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , Markndawoods
wrote:

Therefore, he would not look feeble, sickly or emancipated.

I think you meant emaciated. Emancipated means having been set free.

But then again, if you do not profess to believe the Bible is Gods word,
well, this is all mute

I think you meant moot. I'm not trying to sound pedantic, but both
words above significantly changed the meaning from what I think you
intended to say.
HTH

Gerry
Morris Dovey

David Hakala wrote:

" I was out in my garage, cutting some molding for a project,
thinking about all my problems. Although I don't regularly
attend church services and haven't prayed in years, just this
once I said a silent prayer. I prayed for my mother, I prayed
for my grandfather, I prayed for my financial recovery and I
prayed for John Paul II. At the moment I finished my prayer, I
felt a surge of great peace, reassurance and solace, something
I've never felt before. I thought nothing of it at first but
looked down at the piece of wood I was cutting and was taken
aback, literally shocked by the image I saw. It was the
unmistakable image of Jesus Christ with his hands folded in
prayer! "

Astonishing! I was going through my pile of SYP cutoffs the other
day and found a piece with a knot in the exact configuration of
God's navel. Should I put it on E-Bay so that others have the
same opportunity to marvel?

--
Morris Dovey
Dave Jackson

Try reposting it daily as "THE GREATEST WOOD EVER!!!" It sure gets our
rogue jackass spammer Ron Grossi some feedback! --dave

"Michael Houghton" wrote in message
Howdy!

In article ,
David Hakala wrote:

" I was out in my garage, cutting some molding for a project, thinking
about
all my problems. Although I don't regularly attend church services and
haven't prayed in years, just this once I said a silent prayer. I prayed
for
my mother, I prayed for my grandfather, I prayed for my financial recovery
and I prayed for John Paul II. At the moment I finished my prayer, I felt
surge of great peace, reassurance and solace, something I've never felt
before. I thought nothing of it at first but looked down at the piece of
wood I was cutting and was taken aback, literally shocked by the image I
saw. It was the unmistakable image of Jesus Christ with his hands folded
in
prayer! "

He's not sharing...

Funny. I can see a face if I work at it, but it sure doesn't look
Jewish to me...

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/

John T

I thought it looked like arafat....

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:22:25 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y."
wrote:

I think you meant emaciated. Emancipated means having been set free.

Wedgewood (the pottery innovator) was a great supporter of the British
anti-slavery movement. One of his better known contributions was a
(parian ware?) plaque depicting a chained slave and the message "Am I
not a man and a brother?" These were a fundraiser for the campaign.

There's a tale that there were supposed to be a pair of these plaque
designs, the other showing a freed slave standing proudly and
heroically next to a pillar or some other such neo-classical window
dressing.

However the sculptor misunderstood slightly, and produced a "freed"
slave who looked half-starved and distinctly downcast about his
new-found liberty. Not quite "emancipated"...

Morris Dovey wrote:

Astonishing! I was going through my pile of SYP cutoffs the other
day and found a piece with a knot in the exact configuration of
God's navel. Should I put it on E-Bay so that others have the
same opportunity to marvel?

Why does God have a navel?

--

FF

G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , John T
wrote:

I thought it looked like arafat....

Arafat always seemed to me to look like Ringo Starr's fugly brother.

Gerry

Bill

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:08:45 -0700, Markndawoods wrote:

Perhaps.

However, if one professes to accept scripture as Gods word, then one would
have to consider he was perfect, without flaw.

Therefore, he would not look feeble, sickly or emancipated. The images
individuals put forth of Jesus in now way fit scripture.

Consider that he was a carpenter until the time of his anointing and that
he was still physically fit enough to carry his crucifix most of the way
to his murder despite the brutal events of the night before.

The shroud of

Turin is known to be a fake.

There is no room to speak authoritatively on this matter, no matter what
your viewpoint. A VERY recent article on (IIRC) CNN pointed out why not.
Too long to go into in detail now, but the essential point is that
previous (physical specimen) examinations of it were limited to a few
threads around the edges but that it had recently been made available for
some advanced photography stuff applied to the whole of it. There is an
additional image on the back of it, not previously visible. One thing I
would point out, though, is that the shroud has no religious significance.
IE, the story of Jesus and his message of a coming kingdom does not hinge
on the authenticity of this (or any other) piece of cloth.

There is a scripture, a prophesy, (I confess to not being able to recall
the citation) which stated that Jesus would be ugly. Again, I don't see
how his appearance in any way changes his message nor should it change our
response to it.

Beej-in-GA

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote in message
In article , John T
wrote:

I thought it looked like arafat....

Arafat always seemed to me to look like Ringo Starr's fugly brother.

Gerry

Hey Gerry,
You know when I pointed that out to SWMBO, she said are you nuts? I said
probably! Glad to read that I wasn't alone in my assessment.
Later,
Beej

Larry Levinson

snide comment warning. do not read if you are easily offended, or
believe the Enlightenment was a wrong turn.

Speaking purely as someone who has spent his fair share of time in
synagogues, I just wanted to point out that the whole `clasping of
hands in praryer' is not something I have ever seen in real life
during a Jewish ritual. We're usually too busy holding a book.

On a side note, if I was really brave I would follow through on my
desire for the classic bumper sticker,
``I AM a Jewish carpenter''

"David Hakala" wrote in message

" I was out in my garage, cutting some molding for a project, thinking
about all my problems. Although I don't regularly attend church services
and haven't prayed in years, just this once I said a silent prayer. I
prayed for my mother, I prayed for my grandfather, I prayed for my
financial recovery and I prayed for John Paul II. At the moment I finished
my prayer, I felt a surge of great peace, reassurance and solace,
something I've never felt before. I thought nothing of it at first but
looked down at the piece of wood I was cutting and was taken aback,
literally shocked by the image I saw. It was the unmistakable image of
Jesus Christ with his hands folded in prayer! "

And his problems went away. So can yours. ;-)

Actually, it's not a bad piece of wood for a buck!

Larry Levinson
Talking up to the vocal ...
LLevinson*Bloomberg.net
(remove the star etc ....)
mac davis

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:06:04 -0400, Larry Levinson
wrote:

snide comment warning. do not read if you are easily offended, or
believe the Enlightenment was a wrong turn.

Speaking purely as someone who has spent his fair share of time in
synagogues, I just wanted to point out that the whole `clasping of
hands in praryer' is not something I have ever seen in real life
during a Jewish ritual. We're usually too busy holding a book.

On a side note, if I was really brave I would follow through on my
desire for the classic bumper sticker,
``I AM a Jewish carpenter''

sorta like the one I had on the truck, until someone tried to steal it..
" I DO work for food"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing