Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Remote Shutter Release

Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.

Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with
this camera?

(It's owl mating season up on the hillside and I'd like to get some
photos without spooking the owls.)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:34:34 -0700, "BobW"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.

Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with
this camera?

(It's owl mating season up on the hillside and I'd like to get some
photos without spooking the owls.)

...Jim Thompson

No, Jim, we don't want to see pictures of you mating with an owl.

http://www.amazon.com/RM-UC1-SP-510U.../dp/B003LYVDGC

Bob

Thanks, Bob! I surfed Amazon and never found that. Must've not used
the right buzz words :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.

Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with
this camera?

(It's owl mating season up on the hillside and I'd like to get some
photos without spooking the owls.)

...Jim Thompson

No, Jim, we don't want to see pictures of you mating with an owl.

http://www.amazon.com/RM-UC1-SP-510U.../dp/B003LYVDGC

Bob

Timered operation only. One would think that they would have had
enough brains to add WiFi or Bluetooth to it.

It would work on my 550UZ though, not that I need it.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.

Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with
this camera?

(It's owl mating season up on the hillside and I'd like to get some
photos without spooking the owls.)

...Jim Thompson

Older Olys use a common 1/8 inch jack with three contacts (aka stereo
headphone jack). One is common, one is half-press, and one is shutter.
I don't remember which is which but it's pretty easy to figure it out.
It isn't necessary to activate the half-press before the shutter but
doing so can reduce vibration blur.

Newer Olys have USB remote control. It might not mind a long cable if
you force the lower USB speed.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:01:15 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.

Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with
this camera?

(It's owl mating season up on the hillside and I'd like to get some
photos without spooking the owls.)

...Jim Thompson

Older Olys use a common 1/8 inch jack with three contacts (aka stereo
headphone jack). One is common, one is half-press, and one is shutter.
I don't remember which is which but it's pretty easy to figure it out.
It isn't necessary to activate the half-press before the shutter but
doing so can reduce vibration blur.

Newer Olys have USB remote control. It might not mind a long cable if
you force the lower USB speed.

This one has USB. BobW pointed me to...

http://www.amazon.com/RM-UC1-SP-510U.../dp/B003LYVDGC

which I've ordered.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Where is Joe McCarthy when you need him ??

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:12:58 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:01:15 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.

Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with
this camera?

(It's owl mating season up on the hillside and I'd like to get some
photos without spooking the owls.)

...Jim Thompson

Older Olys use a common 1/8 inch jack with three contacts (aka stereo
headphone jack). One is common, one is half-press, and one is shutter.
I don't remember which is which but it's pretty easy to figure it out.
It isn't necessary to activate the half-press before the shutter but
doing so can reduce vibration blur.

Newer Olys have USB remote control. It might not mind a long cable if
you force the lower USB speed.

This one has USB. BobW pointed me to...

http://www.amazon.com/RM-UC1-SP-510U.../dp/B003LYVDGC

which I've ordered.

...Jim Thompson

That defeats your original criteria. "up on the hillside" is where you
want the camera and the owls, not the camera, the remote that is only ten
feet remote, you, and no owls.

The damned string-of-hubs-and-jumpers fix is starting to look better.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:01:15 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

[...]

Why not use a garage door opener? I used a nice one, with 3 buttons
(and 2 spare ones inside the remote ) transmittor.
3 relays on the receiver, to hook up to the camera.
Internal 8 tristate code switches to block accidental triggering.
From Conrad, here in the Netherlands, but google sure
knows more sources.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.

Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with
this camera?

(It's owl mating season up on the hillside and I'd like to get some
photos without spooking the owls.)

...Jim Thompson

No, Jim, we don't want to see pictures of you mating with an owl.

http://www.amazon.com/RM-UC1-SP-510U.../dp/B003LYVDGC

Bob

Thanks, Bob! I surfed Amazon and never found that. Must've not used
the right buzz words :-)

...Jim Thompson

Turned out to be mis-advertising. The SP-800UZ doesn't support such a
function.

Anyone know a hack ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault: Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On 13/07/2010 8:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Olympus SP-800UZ

I think you're out of luck.

HDMI and USB won't do it and there is no remote cable, RF or IR remote
you can play with.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:42:18 +1000, David Eather
wrote:

On 13/07/2010 8:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Olympus SP-800UZ

I think you're out of luck.

HDMI and USB won't do it and there is no remote cable, RF or IR remote
you can play with.

Yep. Now entertaining electro-mechanical ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault: Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

In article , Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.

Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with
this camera?

Older Olys use a common 1/8 inch jack with three contacts (aka stereo
headphone jack). One is common, one is half-press, and one is shutter.
I don't remember which is which but it's pretty easy to figure it out.
It isn't necessary to activate the half-press before the shutter but
doing so can reduce vibration blur.

Newer Olys have USB remote control. It might not mind a long cable if
you force the lower USB speed.

Canons are similar. I've done well with tying an npn from common to the
shutter and ignoring the other (focus). Might have had to diode-tie the
focus to the collector on one of the cameras.

--
Jim
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On 13/07/2010 8:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Olympus SP-800UZ

I think you're out of luck.

HDMI and USB won't do it and there is no remote cable, RF or IR remote
you can play with.

Yep. Now entertaining electro-mechanical ;-)

...Jim Thompson

A solenoid driven with two distinct excitation levels?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On 13/07/2010 8:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Olympus SP-800UZ

I think you're out of luck.

HDMI and USB won't do it and there is no remote cable, RF or IR remote
you can play with.

Yep. Now entertaining electro-mechanical ;-)

...Jim Thompson

A solenoid driven with two distinct excitation levels?

Sure. I think I could devise two distinct force levels ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault: Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On 13/07/2010 8:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Olympus SP-800UZ

I think you're out of luck.

HDMI and USB won't do it and there is no remote cable, RF or IR remote
you can play with.

Yep. Now entertaining electro-mechanical ;-)

Jim,

If you're taking that route, you might consider a "hobby" servo such
as these (or do a search on Hi-Tec):

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9065
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9064

You'd still need to build a frame to attach it to the camera (or the
tripod mount) and a linkage to translate the servo rotation to the
proper amount of pressure (several "cranks" are generally included).

Also, someone would have to design the electronics to take whatever
control signal you wanted to use into the "standard" pulse-position
signal. Know anyone who could help you here? grin!

Hope this helps...

Frank McKenney
--
Until the milennium comes and countries cease trying to enslave
others, it will be necessary to accept one's responsibilities
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the pointer. My circuit design life is filled with all
kinds of fun stuff: Six years ago I did a R/C receiver/servo-decoder
chip design ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault: Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Yep. Now entertaining electro-mechanical ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I once used an R/C servo rigged up with a somewhat
flexible flat nylon tab affixed to the end of the
servo arm. The servo was mounted on a bracket from
the camera stand in manner so as to have the flexible
tab be able to push down in the camera shutter button
when the servo was activated. Worked rather well within
the operating range of the R/C controller unit.

--
- mkaras
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Will you be able to use the servo on the two position "shutter release"?
And will there be a noise problem for nature photography (especially owls)?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:
[...]

[...]

Thanks for the pointer. My circuit design life is filled with all
kinds of fun stuff: Six years ago I did a R/C receiver/servo-decoder
chip design ;-)

Jim,

Here's your chance to do an R/C servo _encoder_ chip (just add die
and serve grin!).

By the way: there's an item in the latest Make magazine (#23) from
someone who used a 556-based design to drive a DC motor with a cam
to periodically trip a camera shutter. Not an on-demand kind of
gdget, but his goal was to able take aerial photos from a kite.

As for the mechanical stuff, a 'web search with the following:

camera shutter operate|press|release motor|servo

turns up a lot of stuff, including the following:

KAP | Building a Shutter Release Servo Bracket
http://www.uscoles.com/kapservobracket.html

You may or may not want to follow up on those suggesting attaching
the servo to the camera with epoxy or caulking compound. grin!

[...]

Will you be able to use the servo on the two position "shutter release"?
And will there be a noise problem for nature photography (especially owls)?

David,

Good questions (the questions are always the fun part grin!).

An R/C (radio control) servo is a "proportional movement" kind of
thing: depending on the pulses it receives, it rotates CW or CCW
some amount (up to a limit). It is capable, given the proper electronic
and mechanical attachments, of letting you use (e.g.) a joystick to
press a shutter partway or full down. What it does not provide is any
feedback, so you need to measure (and mark) how far you would need to
push the joystick in order to execute a "half-push" or "full-push".

On your second question, I understand your problem. Deer and hawks are
remarkably sensitive to the sounds my Panasonic FZ-50 makes when
focussing and snapping; I can disable the latter, but only if I don't
forget. grin!

Most of the R/C servos I'm aware of are based on tiny DC motors, and
have a slight "whine" to them as they operate. From what I've heard of
owls, I'd expect that one would be able to hear a servo operating;
whether this would affect them you'd have to read up on or test out.

Frank McKenney
--
War is repugnant to the people of the United States; yet it is war
that has made their nation and it is through their power to wage
war that they dominate the world. Americans are proficient in war
in the same way that they are proficient at work. It is a task,
sometimes a duty. Americans have worked at war since the seven-
teenth century, to protect themselves from the Indians, to win
their independence from George III, to make themselves one country,
to extinguish autocracy and dictatorship in the world outside. It
is not their favored form of work. Left to themselves, Americans
build, cultivate, bridge, dam, canalise, invent, teach, manufacture,
think, write, lock themselves in struggle with eternal challenges
that man has chosen to confront, and with an intensity not known
elsewhere on the globe. Bidden to make war their work, Americans
shoulder the burden with intimidating purpose, There is, I have
said, an American mystery, the nature of which I only begin to
perceive. If I were obliged to define it, I would say that it is
the ethos -- masculine, pervading, unrelenting -- of work as an end
in itself. War is a form of work, and America makes war, however
reluctantly, however unwillingly, in a particularly workmanlike way.
I do not love war; but I love America.
-- John Keegan / Fields of Battle
--
Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887
Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney ayut mined spring dawt cahm (y'all)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking more along the lines of a solenoid.

Will you be able to use the servo on the two position "shutter release"?
And will there be a noise problem for nature photography (especially owls)?

The noise doesn't seem to bother them, but they seem very aware of the
LED aiming beam :-)

[...]

Since New Yorkers think it appropriate to boycott Arizona over
stopping illegal immigration and drug trafficking, I suggest that
everyone else support building the Muslim Monument at Ground Zero
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Boycott - was Remote Shutter Release

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:34:04 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:02:42 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Since New Yorkers think it appropriate to boycott Arizona over
stopping illegal immigration and drug trafficking, I suggest that
everyone else support building the Muslim Monument at Ground Zero

Two wrongs don't make a right.

A-holes should suffer appropriate retaliatory pain :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Friday is Wine and Cheeseburger Day

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Since New Yorkers think it appropriate to boycott Arizona over
stopping illegal immigration and drug trafficking, I suggest that
everyone else support building the Muslim Monument at Ground Zero

Two wrongs don't make a right.

But three rights will make a left!