Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Sjouke Burry[_2_] Sjouke Burry[_2_] is offline

Default Remote Shutter Release

Capt. Cave Man wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:12:58 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:01:15 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.

Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with
this camera?

(It's owl mating season up on the hillside and I'd like to get some
photos without spooking the owls.)

...Jim Thompson
Older Olys use a common 1/8 inch jack with three contacts (aka stereo
headphone jack). One is common, one is half-press, and one is shutter.
I don't remember which is which but it's pretty easy to figure it out.
It isn't necessary to activate the half-press before the shutter but
doing so can reduce vibration blur.

Newer Olys have USB remote control. It might not mind a long cable if
you force the lower USB speed.

This one has USB. BobW pointed me to...

http://www.amazon.com/RM-UC1-SP-510U.../dp/B003LYVDGC

which I've ordered.

...Jim Thompson

That defeats your original criteria. "up on the hillside" is where you
want the camera and the owls, not the camera, the remote that is only ten
feet remote, you, and no owls.

The damned string-of-hubs-and-jumpers fix is starting to look better.

Why not use a garage door opener? I used a nice one, with 3 buttons
(and 2 spare ones inside the remote ) transmittor.
3 relays on the receiver, to hook up to the camera.
Internal 8 tristate code switches to block accidental triggering.
From Conrad, here in the Netherlands, but google sure
knows more sources.