Dave

Default Shutter finishing

Just got some Plantation shutters for the living room and bedrooms.
SWMBO wanted the unfinished kind so that we could match them to the
Oak window frames. The shutters and shutter frame are very lite (and
ligjht) wood. I have poly'd a sample they sent us and it darkens up
very nice and compliments the Oak frames, but I dread sanding the
first two coats of poly.... Any thoughts on other finishes would be
appreciated.

Dave in Northern Colorado
As a cure for worrying, work is better than whiskey.
- -- Thomas A. Edison

Phisherman

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:15:54 GMT, Dave wrote:

Just got some Plantation shutters for the living room and bedrooms.
SWMBO wanted the unfinished kind so that we could match them to the
Oak window frames. The shutters and shutter frame are very lite (and
ligjht) wood. I have poly'd a sample they sent us and it darkens up
very nice and compliments the Oak frames, but I dread sanding the
first two coats of poly.... Any thoughts on other finishes would be
appreciated.

Dave in Northern Colorado
As a cure for worrying, work is better than whiskey.
- -- Thomas A. Edison

I have plantation shutters too. I recall it was a very time-consuming
process to paint them. I used a brush and the result was very good.
I was careful not to get the paint into the moving mechanism. You
could thin down the first two coats of poly and your wife can help you
with the light sanding chores.