Posted to alt.home.repair
KC

Default Plantation shutter repair

I'm trying to find a replacement part to repair some vinyl plantation
shutters. In a wood shutter, the louvers are attached to the tilt
wand with metal staples, but these shutters have a T-shaped nylon pin.
This isn't the round pin that goes into the stile of the shutter.

The small "wings" of the "T" go inside the louver and the long part
attaches to the tilt want. Of course, these flexible little wings
break off and the louver is disconnected from the tilt wand.

I have searched online to no avail. I can't even find a brand new
shutter that uses this fastener method.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

I moved out of the rental unit and the landlord is making an issue of
this. I swear I was about to use a glue gun to "create" enough of a
"wing" to keep the louver from turning!

I'd be grateful for any ideas at all.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"KC" wrote in message
I'm trying to find a replacement part to repair some vinyl plantation
shutters. In a wood shutter, the louvers are attached to the tilt
wand with metal staples, but these shutters have a T-shaped nylon pin.
This isn't the round pin that goes into the stile of the shutter.

The small "wings" of the "T" go inside the louver and the long part
attaches to the tilt want. Of course, these flexible little wings
break off and the louver is disconnected from the tilt wand.

I have searched online to no avail. I can't even find a brand new
shutter that uses this fastener method.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

I moved out of the rental unit and the landlord is making an issue of
this. I swear I was about to use a glue gun to "create" enough of a
"wing" to keep the louver from turning!

I'd be grateful for any ideas at all.

KC

Google for interior vinyl shutters parts.

I had this company in my book marks. The were very good about some presale
questions a few years back.

http://www.riverwoodcompany.com/generic0.html

I have never seen the part you mention. Most likely it was a cheap product
to start with.

How does it attach to the wand? I can picture the T head going into the
slat.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

most likely it was cheap plastic and vinyl destroyed by sun. Unless you had
a dog that put his paws on it. Some Ace hardware stores have drawers of
wierd things. So does Home Depot and Lowes. You might check there.

"KC" wrote in message
I'm trying to find a replacement part to repair some vinyl plantation
shutters. In a wood shutter, the louvers are attached to the tilt
wand with metal staples, but these shutters have a T-shaped nylon pin.
This isn't the round pin that goes into the stile of the shutter.

The small "wings" of the "T" go inside the louver and the long part
attaches to the tilt want. Of course, these flexible little wings
break off and the louver is disconnected from the tilt wand.

I have searched online to no avail. I can't even find a brand new
shutter that uses this fastener method.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

I moved out of the rental unit and the landlord is making an issue of
this. I swear I was about to use a glue gun to "create" enough of a
"wing" to keep the louver from turning!

I'd be grateful for any ideas at all.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:37:50 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

most likely it was cheap plastic and vinyl destroyed by sun. Unless you had
a dog that put his paws on it.

Dog + mailman approaching = broken pins.

Some Ace hardware stores have drawers of
wierd things. So does Home Depot and Lowes. You might check there.

I checked around a Home Depot, but I'll ask someone there and check
the other places, too. Thanks so much.

KC

"KC" wrote in message
.. .
I'm trying to find a replacement part to repair some vinyl plantation
shutters. In a wood shutter, the louvers are attached to the tilt
wand with metal staples, but these shutters have a T-shaped nylon pin.
This isn't the round pin that goes into the stile of the shutter.

The small "wings" of the "T" go inside the louver and the long part
attaches to the tilt want. Of course, these flexible little wings
break off and the louver is disconnected from the tilt wand.

I have searched online to no avail. I can't even find a brand new
shutter that uses this fastener method.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

I moved out of the rental unit and the landlord is making an issue of
this. I swear I was about to use a glue gun to "create" enough of a
"wing" to keep the louver from turning!

I'd be grateful for any ideas at all.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:05:17 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"KC" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Oh, how I have Googled. There is a great site that has shutter repair
parts and kits and tilt wands, but even they don't have this part.

I had this company in my book marks. The were very good about some presale
questions a few years back.

http://www.riverwoodcompany.com/generic0.html

I did see this site and I'm going to contact them.

I have never seen the part you mention. Most likely it was a cheap product
to start with.

How does it attach to the wand? I can picture the T head going into the
slat.

Yes, exactly like that. I think you would push the head into the
slat.

Thanks for your response.

KC

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote:
The small "wings" of the "T" go inside the louver and the long part
attaches to the tilt want. Of course, these flexible little wings
break off and the louver is disconnected from the tilt wand.

You did answer the second half of my question. But for what it is
worth.those t-headed plastic strips are used by retail stores to attach
price tags and by drapery work-rooms to "gather" fabric. From either source
with a little hot glue or a knot to the wand and you are home free.

Good luck.

Colbyt

AWH AWH is offline
Junior Member

We have the exact same issue as you and we're wondering if you ever found the replacement part. We previously found these parts in a small custom blind store when we needed them last. But the store is no longer in business and we cannot find these parts online anywhere.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post