Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Experiment in Sea Level Rise

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:14:30 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:07:36 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:

I assume you'll agree that the Arctic is essentially neutral without
me having to pull out your finger nails ?:-)

Is Greenland part of the Artic?

Anybody got the number handy? How much would sea level rise
if Greenland melted?

Greenland is a land mass with _some_ glacial coverage.

...Jim Thompson

More like "_nearly complete_ glacial coverage".
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:20:49 -0700, don don wrote:

Erik's
time during the Medieval Warm Period.

Yes. Like today's warming being claimed as being due to the industrial
revolution, the idiots should understand that it is just a natural cycle.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:07:36 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:

I assume you'll agree that the Arctic is essentially neutral without
me having to pull out your finger nails ?:-)

Is Greenland part of the Artic?

http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/html/re..._glossary.html

Arctic: The area lying above 66 ½ degrees North latitude that includes
the Northern Lands and Arctic Ocean.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:56:42 -0800, Archimedes' Lever
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:20:49 -0700, don don wrote:

Erik's
time during the Medieval Warm Period.

Yes. Like today's warming being claimed as being due to the industrial
revolution, the idiots should understand that it is just a natural cycle.

Like observing a sine wave pattern in global sea level and
extrapolating a linear or an exponential departure from the historic
pattern when predicting the future. Clearly, good science.

http://planetearth.nerc.ac.uk/news/story.aspx?id=293

"The researchers found that during the Middle Ages warm period, around
12th century, sea level was approximately 20cm higher than today.
During the 'Little Ice Age' in the 18th century, when it was possible
to skate on the Thames in winter, sea level was approximately 25cm
lower than it is today.

The team, who published thier[sic] findings in the journal Climate
dynamics, say that present sea level is within 20cm of the highest sea
level for 110,000 years."

"The authors believe there is a precedent for such a bold statement.
Studies from the last ice age show that ice sheets can melt quickly.
When the ice age ended 11,700 years ago, the ice sheets melted so
quickly that sea level rose 11mm a year, or one metre in a century."

All without human cause or intervention.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:37:31 +0100, "TheM"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:07:36 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:

I assume you'll agree that the Arctic is essentially neutral without
me having to pull out your finger nails ?:-)

Is Greenland part of the Artic?

Anybody got the number handy? How much would sea level rise
if Greenland melted?

Greenland is a land mass with _some_ glacial coverage.

...Jim Thompson

Don't forget to mention it used to be green in the past, when Vikings
settled it. Surely that wasn't due to industrial CO2?

They used to herd CATTLE there.

Leftist weenies choose to ignore that.

The biggest single cause of global warming is the post steam age clean up.
The irrational obsession with eliminating particulates has removed the one
thing that was offsetting any temperature rise due to CO2.

Normally the droplets of water that form clouds are seeded by pollen in the
upper atmosphere, these droplets are large which results in clouds that
aren't very reflective.

Particulates seed smaller droplets, which form more reflective clouds that
reflect more of the sun's rays back out into space.

The so called scientists are baying for the one thing that *WAS* protecting
us from global warming!

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Don Don is offline

MeowSayTongue wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:07:36 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:

I assume you'll agree that the Arctic is essentially neutral without
me having to pull out your finger nails ?:-)

Is Greenland part of the Artic?

Anybody got the number handy? How much would sea level rise
if Greenland melted?

26 FEET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_ice_sheet

Greenland is a land mass, so I do not think it will be melting any time
soon.

It is, however, covered with a large amount of ice.

The bedrock in the center of Greenland has been pressed below sea level
by the weight of the ice sheet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland

The part of Greenland that is above the Arctic Circle is "part of the
Arctic".

There are no places on Earth that are "part of the artic", because no
such place exists on Earth.

Take the BLANK "Follow ups to:" line OUT of your retarded news reader
setup, jerk.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:45:23 -0700, don wrote:
MeowSayTongue wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:07:36 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article , Jim Thompson
writes:

I assume you'll agree that the Arctic is essentially neutral without
me having to pull out your finger nails ?:-)
Is Greenland part of the Artic?

Anybody got the number handy? How much would sea level rise if
Greenland melted?

26 FEET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_ice_sheet

Greenland is a land mass, so I do not think it will be melting any
time
soon.

It is, however, covered with a large amount of ice.

The bedrock in the center of Greenland has been pressed below sea level by
the weight of the ice sheet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland

So, when the ice melts, the bedrock floats on the magma, which is pressed
down by the additional weight of the ocean, Greenland pops up, and sea
level stays the same. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Geoff wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:01:59 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

USGS says:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs2-00/

Gees, there you guys go with an 80 meter sea level rise again. Who was
it who declared emphatically that I was wrong about the uncertainty
and wide range of estimates of sea level rise? Oh, yes, it was
"Ouroboros Rex" who said "No, they don't. lol"

Sorry, no moving the goalposts - you referred specifically to
expectations.

"Show how X m^3 of ice are spread across Y m^2 of ocean
and tell us how many meters of rise to expect. Estimates range from 60
centimeters to 60 meters, that's a hell of a lot of margin of error."

No one expects such a rise.

Feel free to prove me wrong instead of lying about your original post.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:07:36 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:

I assume you'll agree that the Arctic is essentially neutral without
me having to pull out your finger nails ?:-)

Is Greenland part of the Artic?

http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/html/re..._glossary.html

Arctic: The area lying above 66 ½ degrees North latitude that includes
the Northern Lands and Arctic Ocean.

Looks like most of Greenland is above the Arctic circle:
http://www.geographicguide.net/america/greenland.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

don wrote in message news:d8KdnVlbRst5w5DWnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@forethought. net...
MeowSayTongue wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:07:36 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:

I assume you'll agree that the Arctic is essentially neutral without
me having to pull out your finger nails ?:-)
Is Greenland part of the Artic?

Anybody got the number handy? How much would sea level rise
if Greenland melted?

26 FEET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_ice_sheet

I think you miss-quoted, although it is still quite a bit.

"If the entire 2.85 million km³ of ice were to melt, it
would lead to a global sea level rise of 7.2 m (23.6 ft)."

Bill Garber

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

MeowSayTongue wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:07:36 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:

I assume you'll agree that the Arctic is essentially neutral without
me having to pull out your finger nails ?:-)
Is Greenland part of the Artic?

Anybody got the number handy? How much would sea level rise
if Greenland melted?

26 FEET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_ice_sheet

I think you miss-quoted, although it is still quite a bit.

"If the entire 2.85 million km³ of ice were to melt, it
would lead to a global sea level rise of 7.2 m (23.6 ft)."

Bill Garber

And what effect is _sucking_ all those calories going to do to world
climate ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

MeowSayTongue wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:07:36 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article , Jim Thompson
writes:

[...]

Pop up video?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

And what effect is _sucking_ all those calories going to do to world
climate ?:-)

It would probably make clouds in AZ.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

So, when the ice melts, the bedrock floats on the magma, which is pressed
down by the additional weight of the ocean, Greenland pops up, and sea
level stays the same. ;-)

In Greenland, the ice is up to 2 km above sea level and up to 1 km
below sea level, so a total of 3 km of ice in some places.

Even if the ice melted completely today, only the 2 km above sea level
will increase the ocean level. There will still be a 1 km deep lake in
the middle of Greenland, which does not initially affect the ocean
level. It will take more than 10000 years, before the bottom of the
lake will reach the sea level, emptying the lake water into the ocean.

Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:31:36 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

What an
annoying *******.

...Jim Thompson

Reading the above all together is perfect. Indeed, YOU ARE an annoying
*******.

Caught with no way to defend your deliberate biased scumbaggerism, after
several attempts to deflect, you now fall back to calling names.

You right-eous limp weenies are so predictable.