Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default relay coil inductance

I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:41:06 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

---
That's a toughie.

I can't recall ever seeing inductance data on a spec sheet; I think
you'll probably have to go to the manufacturer for that one.

JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

---
That's a toughie.

I can't recall ever seeing inductance data on a spec sheet; I think
you'll probably have to go to the manufacturer for that one.

JF

I'll have my customer measure one ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

---
That's a toughie.

I can't recall ever seeing inductance data on a spec sheet; I think
you'll probably have to go to the manufacturer for that one.

JF

Would not the real question be why would someone concern himself with the
solenoid inductance of a miniature relay? I could see it if it were
huge.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

---
That's a toughie.

I can't recall ever seeing inductance data on a spec sheet; I think
you'll probably have to go to the manufacturer for that one.

JF

Would not the real question be why would someone concern himself with the
solenoid inductance of a miniature relay? I could see it if it were
huge.

---

L di
E= ------,
dt

so the diode damping the "spark" when the driver went open would slow
down the opening of the contacts, maybe?

Or maybe the magnetic field building up and breaking down might affect
some nearby component?

Dunno...

JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

---
That's a toughie.

I can't recall ever seeing inductance data on a spec sheet; I think
you'll probably have to go to the manufacturer for that one.

JF

Would not the real question be why would someone concern himself with
the solenoid inductance of a miniature relay? I could see it if it were
huge.

Jim designs custom IC's, so (I assume) he's concerning himself with it so
he can make the output stage of his circuit both economical and robust.
He may even care about making the relay turn off quickly.

It seems like a perfectly valid concern to me, even if the circuit in
question _isn't_ custom -- what if you're powering the relay from logic,
and want to insure fast & safe turn-off?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

---
That's a toughie.

I can't recall ever seeing inductance data on a spec sheet; I think
you'll probably have to go to the manufacturer for that one.

JF

Would not the real question be why would someone concern himself with the
solenoid inductance of a miniature relay? I could see it if it were
huge.

Probably, Jim is designing an IC where every 'square' or 'hex' counts.
So maybe he doesn't want to use more than he has to? Just a thought.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

What would NymNoNuts know?

[pause:burp: "Croque Madame" & orange-almond salad for lunch :-]

I'm working with an X-Fab BiCMOS process... nominally 5.5V max (7V
absolute max).

Can't use a "flyback" diode... any "diode" will induce destructive
substrate currents.

So I'm using an old design trick of mine from "eons" ago... active
device turn-on to limit "flyback".

So I need the inductance to estimate device sizes.

What would NymNoNuts know? Heaven help us, but I estimate he's a
technician in our "defense" industry :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

The REAL reason Obama and the DemocRATs want control of the
Internet is that it's too good a tool for freedom,keeping them
from implementing their communist agenda. -Jim Yanik 8/28/2009
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Dead-on, Tim!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

"Minimum wage" is why all our manufacturing is in Mexico and China

The only things "Made in America" are beer and prostitutes
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

3.3 V relay that requires a can over it due to the field it makes?

I suppose it is possible. I doubt much field is generated though.

The collapsing field gets pumped into the diode. One could design the
firing circuit to "slow stop" as well. reducing any collapsing flux to
minimal since it is created as a result of the slew rate at which it was
collapsed.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Turn off can be immediate. The contacts open before the solenoid
completes opening to the gap it was at when off.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:33:59 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

What would NymNoNuts know?

What would a retard that replies the way you do know?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Can't use a "flyback" diode... any "diode" will induce destructive
substrate currents.

You should not fire them directly from the chip. They should ALL
incorporate a driver AFTER the chip for each one. Diodes have been
placed across the coils of relays for decades. There is a reason for
that. The diode CLAMPS current, keeping it from the driver, idiot!

So I'm using an old design trick of mine from "eons" ago... active
device turn-on to limit "flyback".

The flyback occurs at turn off, NOT turn on, idiot, and the diode is
ONLY in play during turn off events, and is specifically for clamping
that flyback event.

So I need the inductance to estimate device sizes.

I think you are in overkill mode.

What would NymNoNuts know?

Likely far more than you.

Heaven help us, but I estimate he's a
technician in our "defense" industry :-(

That is another one of your problems. Your capacity to make a valid
estimation died twenty years ago, and your capacity to make one in your
senile condition is even less than it was when you were not senile. Even
then, it was marginal, at best.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:43:20 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Dead-on, Tim!

...Jim Thompson

Relay opening time on a mechanical relay is NOT electrically related.

It is mechanical. You can slow it down electrically, but there is
nothing you can do that makes the event occur any faster.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Like this...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE...elayDriver.pdf

In the discrete world, with more voltage tolerance available, you can
scale this to larger controlled flyback potentials, for fast turn-off.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

California is a truly beautiful state.
Too bad it's been so thoroughly ****ed over by liberals.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
boB boB is offline

wrote:

Dead-on, Tim!

...Jim Thompson

Relay opening time on a mechanical relay is NOT electrically related.

It is mechanical. You can slow it down electrically, but there is
nothing you can do that makes the event occur any faster.

Do you think that, with a diode across the relay to reduce the flyback
voltage spike, that slow-er decaying current, and its associated
magnetic field holding the relay in, does NOT slow down the relay
opening ???

boB

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

That sounds like a bureaucrat's version of "immediate". A relay will
_always_ turn off with some delay, first for the magnetic field to die
down, then for the contacts to physically move.

Even if you don't care about turning off the magnetic field as fast as
possible, if you don't size your snubber circuit right the coil will take
out your output driver when you try to turn off the current.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Dead-on, Tim!

...Jim Thompson

Relay opening time on a mechanical relay is NOT electrically related.

It is mechanical. You can slow it down electrically, but there is
nothing you can do that makes the event occur any faster.

Do you think that, with a diode across the relay to reduce the flyback
voltage spike, that slow-er decaying current, and its associated
magnetic field holding the relay in, does NOT slow down the relay
opening ???

boB

NymNoNuts has no CLUE ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

"life imitates life"... as defined by yet another persona of NymNoNuts
(and caught by my filters)... doesn't have a clue about coil energy
that has to go somewhere.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Postings via gmail, yahoo, hotmail, aioe, uar or googlegroups, and
trolls/feeders, are now automatically kill-filed using Agent v5.0

To be white-listed, send request via the E-mail icon on my website
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Dead-on, Tim!

...Jim Thompson

Relay opening time on a mechanical relay is NOT electrically related.

It is mechanical. You can slow it down electrically, but there is
nothing you can do that makes the event occur any faster.

Do you think that, with a diode across the relay to reduce the flyback
voltage spike, that slow-er decaying current, and its associated
magnetic field holding the relay in, does NOT slow down the relay
opening ???

boB

The coil's flux collapses and creates a spike. The diode clamping that
spike does NOT slow the spring loaded return time of the plate which is
attached to the contact(s) as it pulls away from the solenoid core end
face.

So, the answer is NO. The magnetic field is collapsing, as in NOT
"holding in" the relay any longer. The plate begins to pull away as soon
as the power is removed, and the clamping diode does nothing to slow that
process.

The field is collapsing, not being splayed out. There is no longer an
attachment force as soon as the power is removed. The collapsing flux
induces a current though the diode, but that diode does NOT slow the
collapse rate. That rate was determined by the slew rate of the voltage
change which was full voltage to zero in a practically square wave fall
rate.

The collapsing flux makes the back EMF. The diode eats that current.
The plate has already been released long before those events. Diode or
not, the relay opens at the same rate. The diode is there to kill the
spike, and that is all.

To slow the process, one needs to slow the rate at which the excitation
voltage falls. Once it falls below a certain value, however, the relay
will STILL "snap" open, so even that method does not "slow" things much.

Speeding one up, however, is what the engineers that designed it did.
I doubt you will be able to improve on their works short of adding a
solenoid to pull the relay off faster than the mechanical spring does.
A push-pull relay where there are two solenoids operating it.

Otherwise, you are simply tied to the mechanics of the system.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

More ****ing retarded bull**** from someone with no real argument that
is based in fact.

A relay will
_always_ turn off with some delay,

No ****, you retarded ****. It was *I* that said that you can slow the
opening, but will fail to make it faster than it already is.

first for the magnetic field to die
down,

Wrong. The closure plate begins to pull away as soon as the excitation
voltage is removed. A static field pulls in and holds the plate, a
collapsing field does not.

then for the contacts to physically move.

That is a function of how far BEFORE the plate closure point they MAKE
contact. They will always make contact before the plate is fully
clasped. They will always remain in contact as the plate pulls away,
until it reaches a specific point of opening.

Even if you don't care about turning off the magnetic field as fast as
possible,

First it has to matter. Nearly all designers remove excitation voltage
immediately. That means the field is removed immediately. That is also
what causes the spike.

if you don't size your snubber circuit right the coil will take
out your output driver when you try to turn off the current.

That is what the diode is for. There will be no current any further
back in the circuit if the diode does its job.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 16:11:16 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

doesn't have a clue about coil energy
that has to go somewhere.

...Jim Thompson

Lighting your retarded ass up with a few fibrillation inducing jolts is
well within the realm of my knowledge, and proves yet again that you have
no clue about that which you spew.

Of course **** is not all that conductive, so I might have to up the
juice quite a bit to have an effect on you.

pasticcio
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

doesn't have a clue about coil energy
that has to go somewhere.

...Jim Thompson

Lighting your retarded ass up with a few fibrillation inducing jolts is
well within the realm of my knowledge, and proves yet again that you have
no clue about that which you spew.

Of course **** is not all that conductive, so I might have to up the
juice quite a bit to have an effect on you.

pasticcio

Not to mention the hard as rock heart, if there is even one there.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Dead-on, Tim!

...Jim Thompson

Relay opening time on a mechanical relay is NOT electrically related.

It is mechanical. You can slow it down electrically, but there is
nothing you can do that makes the event occur any faster.

Do you think that, with a diode across the relay to reduce the flyback
voltage spike, that slow-er decaying current, and its associated magnetic
field holding the relay in, does NOT slow down the relay opening ???

boB

Here's a pretty good pdf with explanation of different spike suppresion
methods.
It lists drop out times for the different methods, for one particular relay
and values.
http://www.kilovac.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3311.pdf
PS. A diode is the slowest dropout time listed.
Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 20:35:02 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Here's a pretty good pdf with explanation of different spike suppresion
methods.
It lists drop out times for the different methods, for one particular relay
and values.
http://www.kilovac.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3311.pdf
PS. A diode is the slowest dropout time listed.
Mike

Note also that the diode is also the best at suppressing the spike.

Note also that UNsupressed is the only way to get it fast. ALL the
other methods slow it.

ALL of the other methods violate his 'issues' list.

In many cases, that is the most important constraint (the spike).
Note also that all the figures are for 12V relays, which are not in much
use on modern low voltage circuit designs these days.

I am quite certain that any 3.3V relay you choose to examine will prove
to be faster than any of the numbers that more than 10 year old document
measured. Even the diode.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:
I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Who cares?
Just use the standard RC snubber across the coil; 100 ohms should be
fine.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I thought that maybe Phil had assumed a pseudonym, but this guy is less
knowledgeable both in electronics and vile language.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

All the pussy that you are is doing is looking to get a rise out of me.

That only amounted to me chuckling at the depth of your stupidity.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 22:28:38 -0700, Robert Baer
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Who cares?
Just use the standard RC snubber across the coil; 100 ohms should be
fine.

You should learn to read... it's a custom chip issue. I posted a link
to a proper solution.

BTW, 100 Ohms and a coil current of 33mA would produce 6.6V (net, 3.3V
supply) on the drain, exceeding the 5.5V maximum operating rating.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

---
That's a toughie.

I can't recall ever seeing inductance data on a spec sheet; I think
you'll probably have to go to the manufacturer for that one.

JF

Or buy a peak Atlas LCR meter and measure it.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

ISTR an appnote floating about on the net that recommends using a
combination of diode and zener to clamp the back emf, apparently if you just
clamp it with a single diode, the back emf drives a current round the
diode/solenoid circuit which causes hesitant unlatching.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Probably this one?
http://www.kilovac.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3311.pdf
Note, life imitates life finds no wisdom in a ten year old document.
Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:17:09 +0100, "ian field"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I remember it too, but I don't remember where I found it.

The gist of it, as I recall, was that the higher the back EMF is allowed
to rise before it's clamped, the faster the relay will open.

JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Ian, Did you miss seeing this...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE...elayDriver.pdf

A little better than a flyback diode, and no destructive currents
running in my substrate ;-)

I had to conjure that up from memory... first done so long ago (BC:
before CAD), it only exists somewhere in my paper archives ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Diode+resistor or diode+zener are both a lot faster than just a diode.

Or even just a series or shunt resistor, if you can spare the power.

No clamp at all is even faster; just let it fly up and ring, with
suitable precautions.

The untimate would be to apply a large reverse voltage to the coil
until the current goes to zero. That's what happens automagically in a
linear amp driving an inductive load with current feedback.

Reeds are usually pretty lossy, lots of coil resistance, so may be OK
with just a diode. But they are terrible gadgets in general. In my
experience, they are nowhere near as reliable as claimed, and they
bounce/twang forever.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Show me where that was ever stated, you fact morphing retard!
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Mercury wetted don't.

JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

That's not the one I was thinking of, it was probably a Tyco appnote.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"life imitates life" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Quote from life imitates life,
" I am quite certain that any 3.3V relay you choose to examine will prove
to be faster than any of the numbers that more than 10 year old document
measured. Even the diode."

Just doesn't seem like you saw a lot of wisdom in the 10 your old document.
Tell me, what part of it do you think is wise?
I didn't morph and I'm not a retard,
I think your losing your mind.
Mike