Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default relay coil inductance

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 12:28:28 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

"life imitates life" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 10:28:46 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

"ian field" wrote in message

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 11:03:51 -0700, life imitates life
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:48:41 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:41:06 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

---
That's a toughie.

I can't recall ever seeing inductance data on a spec sheet; I think
you'll probably have to go to the manufacturer for that one.

JF

Would not the real question be why would someone concern himself with
the
solenoid inductance of a miniature relay? I could see it if it were
huge.

---

L di
E= ------,
dt

so the diode damping the "spark" when the driver went open would slow
down the opening of the contacts, maybe?

Or maybe the magnetic field building up and breaking down might affect
some nearby component?

Dunno...

JF

ISTR an appnote floating about on the net that recommends using a
combination of diode and zener to clamp the back emf, apparently if you
just clamp it with a single diode, the back emf drives a current round
the
diode/solenoid circuit which causes hesitant unlatching.
Probably this one?
http://www.kilovac.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3311.pdf
Note, life imitates life finds no wisdom in a ten year old document.
Mike

Show me where that was ever stated, you fact morphing retard!

Quote from life imitates life,
" I am quite certain that any 3.3V relay you choose to examine will prove
to be faster than any of the numbers that more than 10 year old document
measured. Even the diode."

Just doesn't seem like you saw a lot of wisdom in the 10 your old document.
Tell me, what part of it do you think is wise?
I didn't morph and I'm not a retard,
I think your losing your mind.
Mike

Do you think the back EMF generated on an unsuppressed 3.3V relay
solenoid coil upon excitation removal is -750 Volts?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 14:08:54 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:43:20 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

wrote:

I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

---
That's a toughie.

I can't recall ever seeing inductance data on a spec sheet; I think
you'll probably have to go to the manufacturer for that one.

JF

Would not the real question be why would someone concern himself with
the solenoid inductance of a miniature relay? I could see it if it
were huge.

Jim designs custom IC's, so (I assume) he's concerning himself with it
so he can make the output stage of his circuit both economical and
robust. He may even care about making the relay turn off quickly.

It seems like a perfectly valid concern to me, even if the circuit in
question _isn't_ custom -- what if you're powering the relay from
logic, and want to insure fast & safe turn-off?

Dead-on, Tim!

...Jim Thompson

Like this...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE...elayDriver.pdf

In the discrete world, with more voltage tolerance available, you can
scale this to larger controlled flyback potentials, for fast turn-off.

...Jim Thompson

Clever. I assume that the gate threshold of MP1 guarantees that the
drain of MN1 never exceeds your max voltage?

I could see a potential for this to oscillate on turn-off, with the
inductor working against the delays in the two FETS, but if it did it may
well not matter, and your relay coil is probably sluggish enough to keep
it from happening anyway.

Do you get to tune the gate thresholds of the individual parts, or is
that usually locked in by the process?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I first came up with this scheme for a light-weight flyback switcher
built on a bipolar process, circa 1975.

I assume that the gate threshold of MP1 guarantees that the
drain of MN1 never exceeds your max voltage?

That and the ratio of the 10K to 33K resistor.

I could see a potential for this to oscillate on turn-off, with the
inductor working against the delays in the two FETS,

FET's are sub-nanosecond

but if it did it may
well not matter, and your relay coil is probably sluggish enough to keep
it from happening anyway.

Do you get to tune the gate thresholds of the individual parts, or is
that usually locked in by the process?

Usually locked by the process though, occasionally, I run onto
processes that have a bunch of different device _types_, some even
offering depletion mode MOS devices... nice for kick-starting
micro-power stuff ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"life imitates life" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Nope, anything else you need help with?
Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

;-)

...Jim Thompson

When I was in school in the early '80's all the IC design stuff was
digital, and we were all told that no one was going to get a job
designing an analog IC ever again, 'cause they were all going to go away.

Silly me, I listened and stayed away from IC design entirely. But I have
fun with what I do...

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

There still seems to be ample analog functions needed. All I'm seeing
is more digital controls added around my analog, to do such things as
auto-zero, auto-cal, etc.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

The mistake that Academia made (and industry is still suffering from) is
stating "all the processing is going to be done digitally" without ever
answering the question "but how is the information going to get in, and
the commands out?"

Because you can design the best damn DSP in the world, but if you feed it
inputs that are filled to the brim with gallons of ground bounce,
egregious thermal noise, nonlinear effects and timing jitter with maybe a
teaspoon full of real signal, you aren't going to have a good system.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 14:54:21 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

"life imitates life" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 12:28:28 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

"life imitates life" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 10:28:46 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Then the ten year old PDF is meaningless. It would appear as if it is
you that needs help.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
boB boB is offline

wrote:

[...]

It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

boB
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Given the 12 V figures, and the difference in core mass between the two
form factors, I would say that it is decidedly easy to contend that it IS
beyond the realm of possibility to get that level of flyback from a 3.3
Volt stimulus into a tiny, low mass, low turns count, open ended coil..

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 22:28:38 -0700, Robert Baer
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Who cares?
Just use the standard RC snubber across the coil; 100 ohms should be
fine.

You should learn to read... it's a custom chip issue. I posted a link
to a proper solution.

BTW, 100 Ohms and a coil current of 33mA would produce 6.6V (net, 3.3V
supply) on the drain, exceeding the 5.5V maximum operating rating.

...Jim Thompson

100 ohms was a "generic" rough "ballpark" value which you should very
well know; so if you dislike 100 ohms, then use 50 ohms already!
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2009-09-06, John Larkin wrote:

Diode+resistor or diode+zener are both a lot faster than just a diode.

Or even just a series or shunt resistor, if you can spare the power.

No clamp at all is even faster; just let it fly up and ring, with
suitable precautions.

The untimate would be to apply a large reverse voltage to the coil
until the current goes to zero. That's what happens automagically in a
linear amp driving an inductive load with current feedback.

you can probably come close to that with just the right RC snubber
(just enough for critial damping)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I haven't done a relay driver circuit for, literally, eons.

Where do I look for reed relays that work on 3.3V supplies with
specications for the coil inductance?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
Who cares?
Just use the standard RC snubber across the coil; 100 ohms should be
fine.

You should learn to read... it's a custom chip issue. I posted a link
to a proper solution.

BTW, 100 Ohms and a coil current of 33mA would produce 6.6V (net, 3.3V
supply) on the drain, exceeding the 5.5V maximum operating rating.

...Jim Thompson

100 ohms was a "generic" rough "ballpark" value which you should very
well know; so if you dislike 100 ohms, then use 50 ohms already!

Since capacitors larger than around 30pF are forbidden, I chose my
approach... which works perfectly, by the way ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 14:01:59 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Jim designs custom IC's,

All IC designs are "custom". Duh!
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Jim designs custom IC's,

All IC designs are "custom". Duh!

And, Jim designs them, with the help of some of the members
here at A.B.S.E., and I imagine some of the students at the
University. ;-))) ( ducking )

Bill

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Garberstreet Electronics" wrote in message

"life imitates life" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Jim designs custom IC's,

All IC designs are "custom". Duh!

And, Jim designs them, with the help of some of the members here at
A.B.S.E., and I imagine some of the students at the University. ;-)))
( ducking )
Bill

I think the term you're searching for is ASIC...Application Specific
Integrated Circuit.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

Jim designs custom IC's,

All IC designs are "custom". Duh!

And, Jim designs them, with the help of some of the members
here at A.B.S.E., and I imagine some of the students at the
University. ;-))) ( ducking )

Bill

Really ?:-)

I haven't seen a good idea here in _years_... other than Larkin's
pre-charge idea.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

Jim designs custom IC's,

All IC designs are "custom". Duh!

And, Jim designs them, with the help of some of the members
here at A.B.S.E., and I imagine some of the students at the
University. ;-))) ( ducking )

Bill

Really ?:-)

I haven't seen a good idea here in _years_... other than Larkin's
pre-charge idea.

...Jim Thompson

Uh, you DID see the wink, and the ducking, didn't you? ;-)))

Bill Garber of Garberstreet Electronics
http://www.garberstreet.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

Jim designs custom IC's,

All IC designs are "custom". Duh!

And, Jim designs them, with the help of some of the members
here at A.B.S.E., and I imagine some of the students at the
University. ;-))) ( ducking )

Bill

Where are your relay coil driver stimulus release spike abatement ideas
at then, asswipe (slings **** your way)? I fart in your direct
direction!
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 01:07:47 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

Jim designs custom IC's,

All IC designs are "custom". Duh!

And, Jim designs them, with the help of some of the members
here at A.B.S.E., and I imagine some of the students at the
University. ;-))) ( ducking )

Bill

Really ?:-)

I haven't seen a good idea here in _years_... other than Larkin's
pre-charge idea.

...Jim Thompson

Uh, you DID see the wink, and the ducking, didn't you? ;-)))

Bill Garber of Garberstreet Electronics
http://www.garberstreet.com

Yes.

Backing up a few threads... MOST IC designs are standard product...
you know, all that stuff from Linear, National, Fairchild, TI. There's
only a handful of us doing custom, particularly custom analog or
analog/mixed-signal.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 22:35:56 -0700, life imitates life
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

Jim designs custom IC's,

All IC designs are "custom". Duh!

And, Jim designs them, with the help of some of the members
here at A.B.S.E., and I imagine some of the students at the
University. ;-))) ( ducking )

Bill

Where are your relay coil driver stimulus release spike abatement ideas
at then, asswipe (slings **** your way)? I fart in your direct
direction!

That was three fecal references in 24 words, 12.5%. I think 10% is the
threshold for nether-region obsession.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

Jim designs custom IC's,

All IC designs are "custom". Duh!

And, Jim designs them, with the help of some of the members
here at A.B.S.E., and I imagine some of the students at the
University. ;-))) ( ducking )

Bill

Where are your relay coil driver stimulus release spike abatement ideas
at then, asswipe (slings **** your way)? I fart in your direct
direction!

That was three fecal references in 24 words, 12.5%. I think 10% is the
threshold for nether-region obsession.

John

Don't count 'em up and attribute them to a single person, you **** for
brains dumb****!

I made ONE reference (slings **** your way). Not that a retarded wuss
like you could grasp the fact that he wrote (ducking), much less what it
refers to.

An "asswipe" is a wipe for the ass. There is no fecal reference there
at all. The fart reference is "bathroom humor" not fecal, you pathetic,
cringing, wussified milksop.

So **** OFF yet again with your retarded claims that you make
incessantly. You're a goddamned idiot, as well as being stupid for
thinking that some number validates your retarded claim.

It doesn't get any more pathetic than that, Johnny. Somebody should
drop a burning paper bag on your doorstep.

"I think 10%... blah blah blah." You're an idiot, Johnny. We only
needed ONE occurrence of your stupid **** in the groups to validate that
FACT. Give it up, you **** for brains dumb****.

It's like this... If I am "obsessed with it", then you are made of it.
So make up your mind. If your claim is valid, you are made of it. If
you are a lying idiot that has zero psychological knowledge, much less
qualifications, then... you are STILL made of it.

You lose, either way, Johnny boy.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I think most people derive more enjoyment from the input end of their
digestive system than from the output. Buy hey, whatever turns you on.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

AGAIN, you retarded ****, NOBODY said a goddamned thing about enjoying
ANY ****ing input(s) or output(s) of any kind on any part of anyone, you
goddamned won't ****ing let it go sub-human pond scum!

You do know what pond scum predominantly is, right?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Algae. Small plants powered by sunlight.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/inde...ond/index.html

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I think you found his sensitive spot.
Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Larkin wrote:

life imitates life wrote:

You do know what pond scum predominantly is, right?

Algae. Small plants powered by sunlight.

Dimbulb's family tree.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No, dumbass. Algae is algae. Pond scum is fish feces. It is at the
bottom of the pond. The algae is up at the surface depths.

ALL plants are powered by sunlight. D'oh!
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

You do know what pond scum predominantly is, right?

Algae. Small plants powered by sunlight.

John

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/inde...ond/index.html

That is what LIVES in the pond. The "pond scum" is the refuse and
corpses of what lives/lived in the pond.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I think that you are both MADE OF ****. You are both too goddamned
stupid to merely be full of ****.

Goddamned immature dumb****s. No, there wont be a movie about you.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:26:06 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

life imitates life wrote:

You do know what pond scum predominantly is, right?

Algae. Small plants powered by sunlight.

Dimbulb's family tree.

I came from the stars.

You came from Beelzebub.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

life imitates life wrote:

You do know what pond scum predominantly is, right?

Algae. Small plants powered by sunlight.

Dimbulb's family tree.

I came from the stars.

You came from Beelzebub.

I'm amazed!

You are the second "writer" to flaunt his ignorance.
Most people like to hide their ignorance, not the two of you!

Oh well, it takes all kinds I guess.

--
"If you don't want your dog to have bad breath, do what I do: Pour a
little

--
"If you don't want your dog to have bad breath, do what I do: Pour a
little
Lavoris in the toilet."
-- Jay Leno
----------------------
Mandriva Linux release 2009.1 (Official) for x86_64
2.6.29.6-desktop-2mnb AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
----------------------
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 21:14:23 -0500, Jim Whitby
wrote:

I'm amazed!

No, you're a trolling, dual core dip**** on Linux that thinks you are
"something else".

Clue for ya... You ain't all that, you sumbitch.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Oh well, it takes all kinds I guess.

You're a goddamned double sig retard as well.

Got any more retarded, judgmental baby bull****, dip****?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 19:44:20 -0700, life imitates life
wrote:

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 20:35:02 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Here's a pretty good pdf with explanation of different spike suppresion
methods.
It lists drop out times for the different methods, for one particular relay
and values.
http://www.kilovac.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3311.pdf
PS. A diode is the slowest dropout time listed.
Mike

Note also that the diode is also the best at suppressing the spike.

Note also that UNsupressed is the only way to get it fast. ALL the
other methods slow it.

Note that you contradicted yourself.

Note also that you are an ignorant berk.

Note also that you have no clue as to how inductive circuits behave.

ALL of the other methods violate his 'issues' list.

In many cases, that is the most important constraint (the spike).
Note also that all the figures are for 12V relays, which are not in much
use on modern low voltage circuit designs these days.

I am quite certain that any 3.3V relay you choose to examine will prove
to be faster than any of the numbers that more than 10 year old document
measured. Even the diode.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

You do know what pond scum predominantly is, right?

Algae. Small plants powered by sunlight.

John

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/inde...ond/index.html

That is what LIVES in the pond. The "pond scum" is the refuse and
corpses of what lives/lived in the pond.

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/aquaculture/pondscum.htm

Your talent for being AlwaysWrong is holding up nicely. As is your
affection for the by-products of life.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Your fascination with poop - now fish poop - is really weird. Poop is
mentioned, often featured, in almost every thing you post.

That's really sick.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

g wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:16:06 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

And it's sick that your keep feeding this troll.

I have to puzzle over troll feeders and why they waste everyone's
time replying to such obnoxious jerks. Are you lacking a person
with which to pleasantly correspond? Or are you just feeding your
own ego ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:31:32 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:27:34 -0700, life imitates life

No, dumbass. Algae is algae. Pond scum is fish feces. It is at the
bottom of the pond. The algae is up at the surface depths.

Your fascination with poop - now fish poop - is really weird. Poop is
mentioned, often featured, in almost every thing you post.

That's really sick.

And he (or she) doesn't even know what s/he's talking about. First,
"algae" is plural, i.e., algae ARE algae.

And apparently he/she is unaware of the simple fact that "scum" is
what floats to the top, much like the political system. :-

Cheers!
Rich