Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trane coil vs Aspen coil

We had a A/C technician come to our house to put in more freon. He
told us that the evaperator coils for both units (8 years old, 3.5 and
4 tonnes, Lennox) need a replacement (I don't know how he determine
this since I was not at home). He would like to replace the existing
coils with Trane coils. The cost is $1200 each.

We had another A/C technician come out and he would like to replace the

existing coil with Aspen coil. The cost is $850 each.

Can you please tell us if it's better deal to go with the cheaper
solution? How much better TRANE vs ASPEN coil that justifies the cost?

Also, how do these people know that the evaperator needs a replacement?

I wasn't at home when the first technician was here but the second
technician doesn't measuring anything to indicates that the evaperator
is the issue.

in addition to the repair/replace question, some other questions:

1. Do the prices seem reasonable?
2. Is repairing the coil leak a reasonable option?

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

The indoor coil should match the outdoor unit, not just brand, but
capacity and SEER as well. The manufacturer of the outdoor unit knows
what indoor coils are OK to use. The Aspen coil is an off brand that
is used to match to almost anything, at reduced efficiency most of the
time. In order to determine if the coil needs replaced, they would
actually need to find a leak in the coil. Otherwise they are blowing
smoke.

Stretch

Ignition coil failure on old 14hp Kohler Scott Willing Home Repair 20 April 18th 18 11:44 PM
If HVAC No Longer Around: What Happens ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 May 9th 05 05:32 PM
Ignition coil Backlash Metalworking 16 December 7th 04 03:40 AM
Coil Nailers - Nail Compatibility Robert Thompson Home Repair 0 October 12th 04 05:52 PM
Rewinding pc coil for 9-1270 Zenith boards ?? anyone know inductance? 9-1270-02 9-1270-3 mod# SR3587DT Dave Moore Electronics Repair 3 September 4th 03 11:25 PM