Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Archimedes' Lever Archimedes' Lever is offline

Default relay coil inductance

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:33:59 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Can't use a "flyback" diode... any "diode" will induce destructive
substrate currents.

You should not fire them directly from the chip. They should ALL
incorporate a driver AFTER the chip for each one. Diodes have been
placed across the coils of relays for decades. There is a reason for
that. The diode CLAMPS current, keeping it from the driver, idiot!

So I'm using an old design trick of mine from "eons" ago... active
device turn-on to limit "flyback".

The flyback occurs at turn off, NOT turn on, idiot, and the diode is
ONLY in play during turn off events, and is specifically for clamping
that flyback event.

So I need the inductance to estimate device sizes.

I think you are in overkill mode.

What would NymNoNuts know?

Likely far more than you.

Heaven help us, but I estimate he's a
technician in our "defense" industry :-(

That is another one of your problems. Your capacity to make a valid
estimation died twenty years ago, and your capacity to make one in your
senile condition is even less than it was when you were not senile. Even
then, it was marginal, at best.