Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Graf - Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits

It's just a load of cut and paste 'stolen' together from old appnotes,
datasheets, etc. No source references.

But here it is anyway...

Andy.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Andy Cap wrote:
It's just a load of cut and paste 'stolen' together from old appnotes,
datasheets, etc. No source references.

But here it is anyway...

Andy.

In these days of free storage, do you have a link for all of this in one
piece ?

donald

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Andy Cap" wrote in message

It's just a load of cut and paste 'stolen' together from old appnotes,
datasheets, etc. No source references.

But here it is anyway...

Andy.

Much thanks.

Why the Arabic writing on the cover? Is it the IED Edition?

First sentence of first chapter: "The circuit has a built-in self-arming
feature." That could be useful.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Could someone possibly just put the entire archive of this on a web site
somewhere? Files 1 and 2 of the 14 have already scrolled off my news server.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Graf - Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits - torrent help?

I'd be happy to make a bittorrent out of it. I'm new to this stuff and while
I have no problem downloading torrents, I have not been able to upload the
torrents and configure a tracker. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oppie

"Joel Koltner" wrote in message
Could someone possibly just put the entire archive of this on a web site
somewhere? Files 1 and 2 of the 14 have already scrolled off my news
server.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Well, I just created a torrent file and re-used a tracker. We'll see if this
works. watch www.thepiratebay.org
Graf-Encyclopedia of electronic circuits [6 volumes]

If you don't have it already, get the bittorrent client from
www.bittorrent.com
Can also check www.youtorrent.com to see if the files pop up on any other
servers.

"Oppie" wrote in message news:vNISj.15$ch1.4@trndny09...
I'd be happy to make a bittorrent out of it. I'm new to this stuff and
while I have no problem downloading torrents, I have not been able to
upload the torrents and configure a tracker. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Oppie

"Joel Koltner" wrote in message
Could someone possibly just put the entire archive of this on a web site
somewhere? Files 1 and 2 of the 14 have already scrolled off my news
server.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Thanks Oppie, it's starting to download now.

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

You and a bunch of others. I show 6 peers connected at the moment.
I just shut down a bunch of other processes to give a higher upload speed.
Should be done in about 12 minutes.

"Joel Koltner" wrote in message
Thanks Oppie, it's starting to download now.

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote in message
They do not "scroll off" idiot.

It's a figure or speech, Prong Boy. It means that it's no longer available
(or didn't show up in the first place) from the news server I use...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

flipper wrote in
:
On 02 May 2008 08:02:15 GMT, Andy Cap wrote:
No source references.

There's a source reference for each and every one in the "Source"
section.

Quite right. I never read that far. My apologies then to the book-maker,
I thought it was just the Nazir Matni guy that pasted toghether this
stuff.

Andy.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
flipper wrote in
:
On 02 May 2008 08:02:15 GMT, Andy Cap wrote:
No source references.

There's a source reference for each and every one in the "Source"
section.

Quite right. I never read that far. My apologies then to the book-maker,
I thought it was just the Nazir Matni guy that pasted toghether this
stuff.

Andy.

Well, I for one thank you very much for posting this stuff, whoever put it
together. It's wonderful.

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
I'd be happy to make a bittorrent out of it. I'm new to this stuff and
while I have no problem downloading torrents, I have not been able to
upload the torrents and configure a tracker. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Oppie

"Joel Koltner" wrote in message
Could someone possibly just put the entire archive of this on a web
site somewhere? Files 1 and 2 of the 14 have already scrolled off my
news server.

Greatly appreciated - thanks.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Somehow I'm not understanding torrents. I tried downloading it and got a
12k file that is not readable by anything I've got on this machine. How
about a torrent mini-tutorial posted somewhere?

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

"Oppie" wrote in message

Messed the last one up...
Try http://www.mininova.org/get/1377069

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 03 May 2008 12:25:44 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 3 May 2008 09:16:54 -0700, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

Somehow I'm not understanding torrents. I tried downloading it and got a
12k file that is not readable by anything I've got on this machine.

You need a program that 'understands' torrent files, like bitTorrent,
uTorrent, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_client

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

How
about a torrent mini-tutorial posted somewhere?

Google and Wikipedia are your friends. Seriously, try putting your
question into google: "torrent tutorial."

Jim

What's the etiquette for bit torrent downloading? I'm on dial up only
and my connection is often dropped if inactive for a few minutes or
the transfer falls below 50% speed or ~2,500 bps. Does participating
cause others in the net grief, or will it cause me problems?

I can set some other program to download to keep the connection open
but that hurts the torrent . . . .

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 03 May 2008 13:09:32 -0700,
"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Dial up and torrents do not mix well.

A torrent application (client) often opens up 20 or 30 streams into
your PC from various locales around the world.

Having so many hooks open on a dial up connection is not very conducive
to keeping the connection "up".

There is also more overhead.

Your best bet is to learn how, and DL them here, and then put the
pieces together properly.

Thanks for the info. I had no problem DL'ing from the group; the
files are all there and readable.

I've wanted to DL Linux distros and other large files via torrent but
it didn't seem to be working well.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 May 2008 08:59:52 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
. ..
flipper wrote in
:
On 02 May 2008 08:02:15 GMT, Andy Cap wrote:
No source references.

There's a source reference for each and every one in the "Source"
section.

Quite right. I never read that far. My apologies then to the book-maker,
I thought it was just the Nazir Matni guy that pasted toghether this
stuff.

Andy.

Well, I for one thank you very much for posting this stuff, whoever put it
together. It's wonderful.

Dave

Btw, I did a google on those books and looked at some (reader)
reviews. Most of them commented on the lack of circuit descriptions,,
missing part values, "full of (circuit) errors" and (some) "circuits
didn't work."

The first two are not really fair complaints, because that's not what
the books are for, but keep it in mind. (In fact, he explains the lack
of text is to leave more room for circuits)

Who knows about the last two. After all, he didn't create the
circuits, just reprinted them from other sources. Write a letter to
National Semiconductor.

They're not 'circuit cookbooks'. They're more a collection of 'circuit
ideas'.

Hey Flipper,

The "circuit ideas" works for me. That is in fact what I am using them for.
The first thing I ever built was a transistor tester from an article in
(June? 1976?) Popular Electronics that was full of errors which I sat down
and figured out how to fix. Since then, I don't trust or expect perfection
from any schematic or article. Hell, half the time you can't get some of
the parts they call for, and the rest of the time you want the circuit to do
something slightly different anyway.

BTW, any ideas on what all that stuff is following the files for Volume 6?
(Files 7/14 through 14/14.) Someone mentioned recovery files, but the six
volumes came through just fine with nothing more than a few half-hours worth
of point and click, followed by the Combine and Decode function under the
Message menu. And I was honestly wondering if the Combine and Decode
function was what I needed to somehow use when you pointed me in that
direction. Thanks again for that. Once you explained it it made perfect
sense.

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 3 May 2008 16:09:36 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 3 May 2008 08:59:52 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
3...
flipper wrote in
:
[...]

Yeah, that's what I use 'collections' for as well and I probably
wouldn't have thought to mention it before seeing those reviews where
they obviously expected 'cookbook' circuits.

BTW, any ideas on what all that stuff is following the files for Volume 6?
(Files 7/14 through 14/14.) Someone mentioned recovery files,

Right, they're recovery files.

If there's a 'part' missing/scrambled then the 'combine and decode'
file will be corrupt. Now, there's a couple of ways to deal with that
eventuality. One would be to request the missing/scrambled part to be
re-posted, and it used to be commonly done, but you can see that could
become a real PITA for the poster.

PAR (Parity ARchive) runs an error correcting algorithm across the
entire file (or file set) creating the PAR files which can then be
used to not only check the validity of the original file (or file set)
but reconstruct missing parts, with the degree of reconstruction
possible depending on how many PARs were created.

You need a PAR program, like smartpar or quickpar, to use (and create)
the PAR files.

Btw, the numbers in the PAR file name indicates how many 'parts' they
contain so, for example, if you have missing/corrupted parts the PAR
program will, after scanning them, say something like "x parts needed"
and you only need to download enough of the PARs to fill that need.
And you don't need to start at '1' and download in sequence. You could
download just any one, or combination of, PAR file(s) that has enough
parts.

The 'first' PAR file, the smallest one, has no 'parts' but is all
that's needed to do the scan so what I usually do is download all the
parts and the first, 'no parts', PAR to run a check and see if any
correction is needed before wasting time downloading them all.

Might be worth mentioning there's another one, SFV (Simple File
Verification) that also needs it's own little program. It will verify
the integrity of a file set but has no correction capability and isn't
terribly useful anymore since PAR accomplished that, plus correction.
But some folks still post SFVs with the file set anyway.

RAR is a file (or file set) compressor similar to ZIP. They both can
break the archive into multiple files so you'd download all the RARs
(ZIPs), save them to disk, and then use WinRAR (or WinZIP if ZIP
files) to decode the entire archive. Or, if one or more of the RAR/ZIP
files were corrupt you'd download PARs to fix those so you have a
complete set to then be decoded by WinRAR/WinZIP.

but the six
volumes came through just fine with nothing more than a few half-hours
worth
of point and click, followed by the Combine and Decode function under the
Message menu.

Well, as I mentioned, if you do much downloading that'll get tiresome
real quick but a decent (binary) news reader will automatically
combine the messages into one for the message list and then just
clicking on that 'combined' message will download the whole ball of
wax while you're off doing something more amusing..

NZBs automate the process even more by being a 'one file' (the NZB
file) click for an entire file set. Like, say, a music collection
(album). So rather than having to select each song, and the PARs,
you'd just click on "Mr Bs Music Collection.nzb" and the whole thing
is downloaded while you're off doing something more amusing.

You need an NZB program to use those.

And I was honestly wondering if the Combine and Decode
function was what I needed to somehow use when you pointed me in that
direction.

I believe you.

Thanks again for that. Once you explained it it made perfect
sense.

Glad I could help.

Dave

Okay, so I will eventually need some different software, if I'm going to be
doing much downloading. Much to learn. Question, if you don't mind...
alt.binaries.e-book.technical there are some new files just posted, and
among them is a three part file for a world map of time zones that is
apparently a pdf when decoded (it has some information at the beginning of
each of the three posts indicating start, length and the fact that it is a
pdf, among other stuff) that the combine/decode function apparently doesn't
know how to handle. Any idea on how I can decode this three-part file? It
is in the same format as other stuff around it, all posted by Ikeaboy, if
you are interested in seeing what I am talking about. I would love some
help with dealing with this type of file too, if you don't mind. And if
not, I'll understand. Thought I would ask though.

Thanks again,

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
[...]

To decode the par files, use quickpar
http://www.download.com/QuickPar/300...dlPid=10521463

On the combined and decoded files, click on the PAR2 file and it should open
the rest of the PAR records then tell you if the original records can be
corrected or what. Handy tool on Usenet where some parts can get corrupted
or missed.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 May 2008 09:21:50 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 3 May 2008 16:09:36 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 3 May 2008 08:59:52 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
. 133...
flipper wrote in
:
[...]

Would have helped if you had posted the file name but I presume you
mean this one.

"Maps Of The World - Time Zones.pdf" yEnc

The yEnc on the end of the name explains it. It was posted using the
yEnc protocol and, as I think I mentioned in one of the earlier posts,
Outlook Express knows nothing about yEnc.

As mentioned before, USENET was originally intended for text only and
some 'tricks' have to be played to get binaries into a form that looks
like text. The original means to do so was uuencode (basically, it
chops up 8 bit bytes and maps the pieces to an ASCII character.
Decoding is the reverse), which Outlook supports. Outlook also
supports MIME. YEnc is a newer method that is more efficient than
uuencode, which is why it's become rather popular, and almost
everything supports it except, of course, Outlook Express.

There's a 3'rd party 'run time' decoder for Outlook Express that used
to be free and now costs money but I don't see a really good reason
for burning cash just to make OE an only slightly less crappy binary
reader, especially when Xnews is free.

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

I don't use that one (I use Forte Agent, which isn't freeware) but
hear it's not the most user friendly... but then, it costs nothing to
try and gets the job done. If you don't like it, nuke it and no skin
lost.

If you're inextricably married to Outlook Express there's still a
(free) way to do it and that's to "combine and decode" like you would
a 'normal' message set except "save as" TEXT to disk. In other words,
you save it 'just as it is' (text) in the (combined) messages with NO
decoding (because OE will screw it up if allowed to attempt the
decode). Then use this thing

http://www.yenc32.com/oeusers.php

to decode the file full of binary gibberish text you just saved. The
decoder will create a second file that's 'the real thing' and, when
it's done, you can delete the binary gibberish text file.

Or use OE for text, if you like it, and Xnews for just the binaries.

Thanks again,

Dave

Hello Flipper,

Yes, that's the file. Sorry I didn't name it. I had no idea that group
filled up so fast.

If I created an nzb file out of those three parts, would Grabit help me
decode them? Sorry if that is a stupid question, I just really don't know.

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote in message
I'd bet it IS still on the server, dip****, and your retarded guess at
what it by calling it "scrolling" is about as far off as it gets.

Great... then the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate it really is still
there. Let me know what you find...

Meanwhile, I'm happy with the BitTorrent copy that Oppie provided.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

fwiw- the verizon server that I use usually has pretty good retention. All
the same, I went looking for the originals and came up empty on any server I
tried. This was almost 2 weeks after they had been posted. Was very happy
when Andy re-posted them to abse on 5/2. That was the copy the torrent was
made from.
Too much petty bickering going on.

wrote in message
I'd bet it IS still on the server, dip****, and your retarded guess at
what it by calling it "scrolling" is about as far off as it gets.

Great... then the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate it really is
still there. Let me know what you find...

Meanwhile, I'm happy with the BitTorrent copy that Oppie provided.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
Too much petty bickering going on.

Yes, and unfortunately I let myself get suckered into it at times.

Thanks for providing the torret, Oppie!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Dave" wrote in message
newsYedneX7meLf3ILVnZ2dnUVZ_ruqnZ2d@internetamer ica...

"flipper" wrote in message
news On Sat, 3 May 2008 16:09:36 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
om...
On Sat, 3 May 2008 08:59:52 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
.133...
flipper wrote in
:
[...]

Nevermind. I tried it, and it worked wonderfully. Thanks again for all
your help...

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Somehow I'm not understanding torrents. I tried downloading it
and got a 12k file that is not readable by anything I've got on
this machine.

You need a program that 'understands' torrent files, like
bitTorrent, uTorrent, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_client

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

How
about a torrent mini-tutorial posted somewhere?

Google and Wikipedia are your friends. Seriously, try putting your
question into google: "torrent tutorial."

Jim

What's the etiquette for bit torrent downloading? I'm on dial up
only

I don't really know since I'm on broadband. Just never had occasion to
think about it.

and my connection is often dropped if inactive for a few minutes or
the transfer falls below 50% speed or ~2,500 bps.

That seems terribly odd. How in the world do you stay connected just
browsing if it drops on '50% speed'?

They must have one heck of an aggressive inactivity timer. Too
aggressive if you ask me.

Does participating
cause others in the net grief, or will it cause me problems?
I can set some other program to download to keep the connection open
but that hurts the torrent . . . .

Figure out what the inactivity time is and have something kick off a
web page every now and then.

There are some tools that will do that automatically. Also, some sites,
notably newspapers, will refresh the site view every few minutes so
they can load up another bunch of banners. Plays merry hell for those
with metered accounts. I had a hassle some time back on the job, was
reading some site or another and left it open when I got called for
some field problem. At the end of the day the IT manager bawled me out
over the close to a gig of banners and stuff that had gone through the
gateway.

- YD.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
It's just a load of cut and paste 'stolen' together from old appnotes,
datasheets, etc. No source references.

But here it is anyway...

Andy.

Hi Andy ... At the risk of sounding ignorant, how can I read this? Thank
you.

Cordially,
west

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Joel Koltner" wrote in message
Thanks Oppie, it's starting to download now.

What are you downloading, Joel? I tried and clicked on Oppie's link and it
was only a 6k transfer. How can I get it? Thanks.

west

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote in message
Yes, my point is exactly that. Most ISPs promptly declare that they
offer "full Internet access". It is up to the user to interpret that
properly, and take advantage of it. No ISP I ever had throttled my
service. Any that did lasted exactly one day.

That's certainly the correct response -- drop those ISPs. Unfortunately, in
many parts of the country there's only 2 choices for high-speed Internet (DSL
or cable), and if both of those throttle, e.g., peer-to-peer connections,
you're stuck. (This is striking me as odd saying these days there are "only 2
choices for high-speed Internet" when, 10 years ago, there were often exactly
ZERO choices at a price most individuals could afford! Back in 1995 I offered
to pay an ISP $100/mo for a fixed-IP, full-time dial-up 56kbps connection, and
was turned down... sheesh... how far we've come...)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"West" wrote in message
What are you downloading, Joel? I tried and clicked on Oppie's link and it
was only a 6k transfer. How can I get it? Thanks.

Install a BitTorrent client (program), e.g., uTorrent: www.utorrent.com. The
6k file just directs the BitTorrent client where to start looking for the
"real" file; once uTorrent or a similar program is installed opening Oppie's
link will automatically file up the client and begin downloading the real file
(or ask you where to download to or whatever).

The way BitTorrent works is that, instead of pulling a file from one
centralized web server, you get "trickles" of data from multiple computers and
then your computer, in turn, starts providing trickles to other computers once
it actually has some bits to send. The idea is that finding a single web
server with lots of bandwidth and fast connections worldwide is a lot harder
(spendier) than just using the machines people want to download files to as
one of a "swarm" of machines that can all share the load.

These "peer to peer" (P2P) networking programs have become quite popular in
the past few years -- some people have even managed to get IEEE papers out of
studying and improving their designs, since if you think about it it's clear
that it's not an entirely trivial problem to try to optimize a P2P network.
While many of the earlier P2P programs were developed by folks looking to
pirate software and share porn, the basic idea makes so much sense that these
days there's plenty of completely above-board usage of such tools, especially
with folks developing large free software projects. For instance, last week
Ubuntu 8.04 (a popular implementation of Linux) was released (~700MB), and it
immediately found its way to many thousands of people via BitTorrent, much
more quickly than traditional methods would have allowed.

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

flipper wrote:

My, but you're such a joy to have around.

You're wasting your time trying to educate dimbulb. My first ISP cut
you off at 2 hours, and told everyone that it was how their computers
were configured. I changed my ISP a couple months later, and had no
problem with being cut off. Dimbulb needs people to argue with. That's
why most of us have killfiled him.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Wes Wes is offline

"flipper" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 May 2008 09:21:50 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

snip

[...]

I found the quickest way to use OE and Yenc32 is to drag and drop the
downloaded OE messages in to a Yenc32 decode directory. Then select all the
save files and use the Yenc32 right click menu item to decode them. The
decoder can handle nws files fine, no need to make them text. the Set up
options of Yenc32 can delete the original files automatically on a
successful decode.

Wes.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
On Fri, 02 May 2008 05:48:50 -0700, donald

This is USENET, you idiot!

If you live in a pushbutton world where you want it all to happen in
one button press, you'll need to kill yourself, and get re-incarnated
in about ten years. Right now, there are steps required.

Dude - it you who is in the timwarp. Free online storage of large size is
available NOW.

Also, "in these days of free storage" one is still NOT permitted to
"store" the works of others, and one certainly does not have the legal
right to make said Other Owned IP materials available to others.

Well you are not 'permitted' to distribute it on USENET either !

geoff